The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you decide to sell a 2yr old or keep til under saddle?

I am on the fence about one of my horses. Back story, horse is one I bred, did not sell as a weanling, backed off marketing him as a yearling(he had quite the yak impression going on!), so now he's a 2yr old and really starting to look like the great horse I expected him to be. I usually will wait til they shed out and then get some nice pics/video, and start marketing. However, I am kind of on the fence with this guy. On one hand I'd like to sell now so I could get working on some projects around my farm, like new fencing that sort of stuff. On the other hand, if I wait until he's going u/s I should be able to get more for him, and do more projects. I have gone through the whole, what if he gets hurt, wow he would be fun to ride, getting him off the feed bill would be nice, man I would love to see him as an adult he's going to be awesome, and so on and so on. Back and forth, back and forth. So, what are the deciding factors for you to sell now or wait? I have never been this indecisive before when selling a youngster.
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

To me it depends what you have bred him for, and what your business plan is.

If you are breeding to sell as youngsters and he is looking good, I wouldn't hesitate to sell him to a good home now before "he gets hurt" (as we know that can always happen! plus he is a gelding). You can always see what he looks like under saddle if you sell him to a show prospect home, and then its not on your dime!
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

If I KNOW for CERTAIN I want to sell something, I try to list it right away no matter what the age. I have held onto horses before to "sell for a higher profit" later, only to have one horse suffer a career-ending injury, and another who I lost a bunch of money on because when I finally listed the horse on the market (after investing a lot of time and money into training and shows), the market fell.

So, my advice is to market the horse at a price that you feel is reasonable, and if the horse doesn't sell right away, then your "backup plan" is to start under saddle and sell as a riding horse for (hopefully) more $ later. That is my current train of thought on one of my own, for what it's worth!
    Lorelei Welsh Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for hunters, dressage and driving!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorelei Welsh View Post

So, my advice is to market the horse at a price that you feel is reasonable, and if the horse doesn't sell right away, then your "backup plan" is to start under saddle and sell as a riding horse for (hopefully) more $ later. That is my current train of thought on one of my own, for what it's worth!
    Wiser words were never spoken !

3 members found this post helpful.

A wise professional horseman once told me that, if you are running it as a business-
    "The best time to sell a horse is when you most want to keep it."
    and
    "The most valuable thing you can sell is potential."
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm selling a 2 year old because she isn't going to be what I want, it's that simple in this case.

She's a lovely horse, just not going to be the type I like and want to show but she will be a great horse for someone else. So as soon as she sheds her winter woolies I am doing photos and advertising her properly. I will be sad to see her go of course, because I bred her to keep really.

(I did actually put a Sale note on her Breed Society database entry this morning. Saw my DH at lunchtime and he said, I see you're selling your horse!, he'd had an email about it already...can't get anything past him )

I sold my 2 year old after Devon one year. 2 old time BNTs said to me... There are 3 prices for your horse. The one you'd sell him for or you'd be living in your Expedition, the fair market value and the price you'll cry all the way to the bank to cash the check.

I sold him. I kept his sister when I climbed up on her at two ish and broke her myself. Turned down an offer at Devon this year.?
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Good advice everyone! Sounds like I will be getting to work when he sheds out.

He was bred to sell, so there is no issue with me not wanting to sell him. He's just a really neat horse.
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

1 members found this post helpful.