The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saddle fitters unite, suggest saddles to fit my guy?(with pictures)

So I'm unfortunately shopping for a new saddle. I have a very good saddle fitter coming out to look at my gelding on the 16th, but it's a snow day and figured it doesn't hurt to ask here first. I have an Ashland, which I love, but it's much too wide for my OTTB and foam flocked It works OK with my Mattes pad, but I really want something that fits him well. I LOVE that it's a fairly flat seat, there are no blocks of any kind, and it puts me in a fairly good position. After 10+ years of riding in it, it makes anything else I sit in feel weird. My friend has a Frank Baines Elan(wool flocked) that I LOVE for myself. It fits her TB like a glove, and is a very comfy saddle without feeling like there's a lot of "stuff" in the way. I haven't sat it on/ridden in it on my TB yet, but might try it soon.

I did get a trial Frank Baines Reflex from Trumbull Mtn and I hated how deep/constricting the seat was, and it was still too wide for my guy.

I have another Reflex one that’s not as wide, and looks as if it’s a bit flatter coming on trial, hopefully I’ll get to ride in it tomorrow or Friday.

I do apologize for how dirty Nemo looks in the pictures, it's winter and he's hairy. He's also about 100lbs underweight in these pictures. We're working on putting the weight back on him so he'll be fat and happy.

There's also a few pictures of my Ashland in the album, that I love but doesn't fit him, and one of me in the saddle.

The tape marks are 3 fingers width behind the point of his shoulder(1), where the flexible curve sat to take wither tracings(2) and the lowest point of his back(3). I've also included the wither tracings in 2 pieces.

http://s1124.beta.photobucket.com/us...racing%20Album

Do any brands/models/types stick out? I'd LOVE to find something like an Elan. I'd like something with a flatter seat, no blocks/rolls, wool flocked and grippy leather. My price range is up to $1,600/$1,700. Obviously I'd like to spend less if possible. I'd prefer something used.
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Bump
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Anyone at all?

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Bump again

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Sent you a PM.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Have you considered an older used Butet? Might be difficult to find one in your price range, but on my experience they do tend to fit a narrower "thoroughbred" build, and they have a flat seat, minimal padding/blocks, etc.

You might also consider an older Childeric. Some of them are quite similar to the Butets and I think also might fit your horse. Hard to tell without trying it one on him, though!

Thank you! I will look for both!

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Sending you a pm

Have you considered a Smith Worthington? In their clearance area, they have their lovely Beaufort, a saddle with no blocks or rolls:
    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=557
    They also have the Avalon, with a slightly deeper seat:
    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=551
    And in the regular price section, their Mystic has a bit of a padded flap:
    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=156

I have a Mystic that I love. They are wool flocked and can be adjusted to fit your horse. On their regular price saddles they have a generous trial policy, probably not on the sale saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    Have you considered an older used Butet? Might be difficult to find one in your price range, but on my experience they do tend to fit a narrower "thoroughbred" build, and they have a flat seat, minimal padding/blocks, etc.

You might also consider an older Childeric. Some of them are quite similar to the Butets and I think also might fit your horse. Hard to tell without trying it one on him, though!
    I cannot imagine a horse with those withers getting a proper fit from a saddle without gussets.

Without seeing the templates, I can't make any recommendations about width, or any sure recommendations about panel config, but based on the photos, a Reflex would have been one of my first recommendations. You could also try a BC Eden - probably w/a K panel. Albion SLK high head with a full front gusset and deeper front panel would be another good choice. Passier GG would be another good choice.

I have a tall 17'2 hand WB with "knife" withers - looks somewhat similar to your guy. The one saddle that works on him is my Irish Berney Bros. Its going on 20 yrs old and I have had it restuffed and then later refitted a couple of times over the yrs (with different horses) . It is the most comfortable saddle for me too. I have the cross country model so it has a bit of a deeper seat. But they also make stadium jumping saddles. They are in Ireland but they make them custom to fit your horse (directions with measurements and drawings on their web site). And they are reasonable priced too. Check out their web page. It might work for you.

Thanks everyone. The first Reflex I had from Trumbull mtn sat right on his withers. I have another in from Washington that fits him ok, probably could be adjusted to be great, but the flap isn't forward. I'm super bumed because I adore the saddle.

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

If you can afford the price of a new Reflex, you can have one bench-made to your spec with a more forward flap for the same price as an off-the-rack model.

I wish I could, unfortunately they're way out of my price range new.

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I got my Bates Elevation+ from the clearance section at Dover for $1400 (granted it's a deep seat, but I believe they make flatter ones), and they were kind enough to throw in the gullet plates and riser packs for free (it's a periodic promo that they do, seems like every few months). I wanted something adjustable since the two that I ride regularly are an OTTB and a clydesdale cross, and I can't afford 2 saddles. It's not as quick to adjust as they make out, but not too bad either (takes me about 15 minutes to measure, swap the gullet, and place the risers). This might be a good idea for you since he's putting on weight too.

Had the fitter out yesterday. I totally flaked and after talking to Trixie I should have kept his Elan on trial. It's more then I want to spend but practically new, and seems to fit Nemo rather well, plenty of wither clearence.

Some of the other saddles he suggested as "Maybes" were:

County Conquest, M Tree.
    Black Country Wexford or Ricochet
    Pessoa A/O AMS Exchange
    Beval World Cup

He also said I might have luck finding a good deal on a used Bates and getting it reflocked with wool.

If anyone has any suggestions as to a good place to look for any of these that I may not have thought of, I'd appreciate the help!

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

If you do get your hands on a Pessoa A/O with alto panels, please take pictures and post them. They are back ordered until forever and I have yet to see one in person, although I've heard good things in terms of fitting for horses with withers and hollows.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

As I recall, the Reflex cc was the only one we had on consignment at the time. I don't believe you were interested in the BC saddles then. Trumbull does carry the BC Ricochet and the BC Wexford.

Wink

Oops ... sorry - I thought you were looking for dressage saddles - my bad! Baines makes a Reflex close contact AND a Reflex dressage ... hence my confusion.

The Conquest, Ricochet and Wexford tend to work well for horses with a dippier back or a larger wither, especially when paired with the K (or what County calls a "skidrow") panel. (The Ricochet and Wexford share the same tree and panel config, BTW; the Ricochet is the Quantum built on the Wexford tree and panels.) Not sure about the Pessoa or the Beval, but I'd worry that the tree in most of the Bates saddles may be too flat for your horse, even if it was retrofit with wool.