The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you take your cats on "canoe trips"?

No, I don't mean that you have them get in the boat with you. But, yanno, a cat might be around while you and your partner are hopping in.

How do you feel about that?

How does the cat feel about that?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Reminds me of the Best in Show couple after they get a new dog who watches them, and he's humping away at the therapist's leg.
    I think it's more awkward for the people than the pets. Imo, too awkward! Lol!
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

1 members found this post helpful.

Pretty unimpressed with the whole canoeing thing, given that it does not seem to involve food or attention. One does bite, however, and attack, mostly playfully but sometimes with some irritation, particularly moving things that annoy him, so that adds the element of...DANGER!!!! And it can really stir up storms when he does grab on!! My old kitty was absolutely impervious to any kind of storms, canoeing related or otherwise, and he'd ride them out in HIS SPOT regardless of any turbulence.

3 members found this post helpful.

A few years ago we had a little canoeing related incident involving...erm, a couple of DH's integral tackle bits and a kitten's claws. So, since then, DH has been pretty emphatic about a no kitties on the bed while canoeing policy.

For the most part they don't seem too interested. Although Sadie, my girl kitty, does not like to be separated from her kitty bed in the winter. It stays at the end of our bed, except for canoeing times, when it gets placed on the floor. Otherwise...the rowing pattern gets interrupted a bit too often for enjoyment.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

6 members found this post helpful.

O.M.G. MVP, this tops ALL of your other topics!!!! I think I would really, really like to be your friend IRL. Our kittehs desert the room PRONTO if there are any signs of impending canoeing. Don't know what that says about us! But my dear darling husband has been known to go sleep in the guestroom if he comes up to bed and I am asleep - with Bubba in his customary "DH isn't here" place on DH's pillow. What a doll (DH, that is.) I have tried and tried to tell him to just move the GD cat, already!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

We had a kitty incident a long time ago that involved kitties favorite toy stuffed animal named "Brother Bear". Let's just say that Brother Bear ended up somewhere he shouldn't have while we were canoeing This kitty now just sleeps quietly at the end of the bed
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I know it's early yet, but I would like to formally nominate this thread for "Most alarming title of 2013".

The two nice girl cats politely vacate the area at signs of forthcoming canoeing. They have delicates sensibilities, appropriate for young lady cats.

Bacon, who is a big nosy brute, feels the need to stick around and offer pointers and pointy bits. He is forever banned from canoeing zones.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

8 members found this post helpful.

Ricky, who is the more conservative of the two, stays in the living room if there is canoeing going on. Bobby, who is far more gregarious and also feels that the bed is HIS bed that he shares with me and the dog (I live alone, so a second human in the bed is an anomaly to the critters' lives) , doesn't see why he can't go to bed while canoeing is in progress. I prefer that he didn't.

The dog thinks some great game is going on and usually brings a toy in....there are some canoe trips where I am like "Eff it!!!" and lock them all out. They can come in later.

"canoe trips"?! HAHAHHAHAHAHA

My little tortie sits on the floor in horror at all that rowing and splashing. Especially when there is no cloud cover and the moon is full.
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

12 members found this post helpful.

Surprisingly there is a whole thread on canoeing with cats on a Canadian Canoe Forum (Algonquin Adventures). Complete with a few pictures.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/35288...Cat+in+a+Canoe

I am not only a horse geek, but a canoe/water geek as well

We've only had our kitty for a few months now and I have't actually noticed where he is when we go canoeing. He must not be around but I have warned BF to keep an eye out because Mr. Kitty likes to attack dangly things

The dog knows that when we're packing to go canoeing, it's time for her to leave the room. She's smart and respectful lol
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
    I am not only a horse geek, but a canoe/water geek as well
    Excellent! I trust you get out on the water often?

SO and I argue over who gets to steer.
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

7 members found this post helpful.

Tooo Funny!!!!
    My kitty will occasionally try to interupt us while we are packing for our canoe trip, but once we are ready to go he jumps off the bed. Post canoeing he jumps back on the bed and looks at us in that annoyed at your presense way that cats can do.
    Great topic lol
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Captain Jack Sparrow caterwauls and it is not at all sexy. He is banned while canoeing takes place.

Bruce Wayne is polydactyl and thinks everything that moves MUST be attacked. He is also banned.

DH doesn't even walk by Bruce Wayne sans clothing for fear that dangly bits will be sliced by evil kitty claws!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

My dog is adopted from the pound. He seems trained to exit when the canoe is brought out. This is not surprising since he is a sophisticated gentleman who is reported to have an educated British Oxford accent.

I don't mind dogs on the floor if they just sleep. Kicking an oblivious dog off the bed or worse yet a pup thinking canoeing looks like a great wrestling game to join, delays the trip. Life with pets!

And I can't believe I just wrote this. COTH is an addiction.

6 members found this post helpful.

Default Not a cat, but ...

... Many years ago, I discovered what happens when a GSD's wet cold nose contacts a DH warm bum. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    Captain Jack Sparrow caterwauls and it is not at all sexy. He is banned while canoeing takes place.
    The creepy part is that he does think it's sexy, don't you think? Don't cats only caterwaul at strip clubs and football games?

Either way, he should be banned.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    I know it's early yet, but I would like to formally nominate this thread for "Most alarming title of 2013".

The two nice girl cats politely vacate the area at signs of forthcoming canoeing. They have delicates sensibilities, appropriate for young lady cats.

Bacon, who is a big nosy brute, feels the need to stick around and offer pointers and pointy bits. He is forever banned from canoeing zones.
    I must apologize for any bad real life experiences that come of this thread.

But! The creep factor lies in the reality, not in the telling of it on an anonymous bulletin board. We can collectively pretend that we don't keep cats and canoes in the same house, but stuff does happen.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I bar all pets from the area before canoeing commences. I don't need my cats judging my rowing technique. On the rare occasion of a stow away, the canoe will usually tip over. Like rats on a sinking ship, they always seem to run for higher ground.