The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone Feeding SmartPak's LiveSmart Stew - Chicken? Having Issues?

We have in the past gotten the LiveSmart Chicken Stew in the pouches from SmartPak for my JRT - using it as a top dressing on her dry food and she just LOVED it. Went back and licked the bowl 3x after finishing, and nearly clears the counter jumping up while we get it out. We stopped feeding it mostly because the little pouches seemed so wasteful and were hard to use, plus I just didn't like that it is made in Thailand and SP doesn't mention that at all on the website.

So I broke down and ordered it again since my little dog is super spoiled. This time, we've introduced it slowly with just a small amount on top of normal food (it only replaces 1/4 cup dry food a day even when we get to the maximum). Every single time, she gets diarrhea the next day and if we take her off it, she goes back to normal.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a recent issue like this (so maybe there is a problem with the food), or is it just her? I pretty much am asking the same thing of SmartPak but haven't heard back. I'm definitely not feeding it to her again. We also use the Wellness Stews in a can in the same way, and she has been "normal" with that, so I think we'll stick to it. She only licks the bowl 2x after finishing it!

It's made in Thailand? If so 1) Shame on SmartPak and 2) Never in a million years would I feed that.

chicken can make for runny poos.

I would stop on the simple fact that its being produced in Thailand.

horsepoor is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I will admit that I was very put off when it first came and said "Made in Thailand" on the box ... but did some checking and felt it was safe. Not the same as China at all. I was annoyed that SP doesn't mention it at all on their website and also that dogfoodadvisor.com didn't say anything (and does give it their highest rating).

I'm not planning to feed it to my girl again, just wondering if anyone actually using it is having any similar issue. If they are (so it might be a food problem), I'll probably be more adamant about returning the remainder. Otherwise (just my dog having a reaction), I'll donate it to the shelter. Have not heard back from SP yet.

there have been reports of chicken from Thailand being contaminated with icky stuff.

quoted from the London Evening Standard:

In many ways, Thai chicken factories are just like those in England - equipped with vast stainless-steel production lines to take the birds from slaughter to finished product, and fed by chickens from largescale intensive farms. They are inspected for hygiene and welfare standards by EU inspectors.

Migrant workers, drawn from the poor rural areas to the industrial belt around the capital, have built their wooden huts over the waterways, which double up as transport system and sewer. Most earn the statutory minimum wage of 165 baht (£2.50) a day, six days a week, for a nine-hour day which includes a one-hour break.

Factories such as CP Foods, Thailand's largest chicken exporter, supply 2,200 tonnes of breast meat a month for their British customers such as Tesco and KFC. CP Foods owns large farms - 30,000 birds per shed - which meet Tesco- specification stocking densities, with chickens reared and killed on a 42-day cycle.

EU veterinary inspectors recently visited China where they found indiscriminate use of antibiotics in chicken and fish farming, including the use of drugs banned in Europe because they cause cancer.

They also tested Thai poultry and discovered residues of nitrofurans and chloramphenicol - antibiotics banned in Europe - in produce of some companies, none of which have any business dealings with Grampian. A CP executive blames other producers who are subcontracting or buying in chickens from China and relabelling the meat as coming from Thailand.

Original Poster

Well, again, not using it anymore, just wondering if others have encountered issues. Chicken from anywhere can have issues. Nasty process. I'm not exactly confident in US food manufacturers either. I don't eat meat anymore myself, for other reasons, but when I read of recalls and contamination, I only have to pay attention to the non meat ones (and there are plenty of those!).

Original Poster

Default SmartPak Responded

Heard back from SmartPak and they haven't had any other issues reported to them, so I think it was just my dog being sensitive to something in the stew. SP is being great and refunding my money, but I can take the remaining pouches to our local shelter (since no one else has reported an issue, I think the food is fine). My girl is back to Wellness Stew as her "topper" and doing fine on it, so we'll just use that for now. If I add in a little canned pumpkin, maybe that will emulate the LiveSmart stew as it had pumpkin and that might be what she liked so much about it! Spoiled little dog.