The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,456

    Default Side saddle experts: A clue please?

    I just found this specimen on CL near me:

    http://eugene.craigslist.org/grd/3652688718.html

    It could open a whole new chapter in my riding life. But I know nothing about riding side saddle, nor better or worse in those.

    Do I snap this one up and follow the will of Allah, wherever it leads?

    PS If it is not supposed to be mine, but is supposed to be yours, I would be happy to go look at it for you and help you follow your side saddle destiny.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2012
    Posts
    141

    Default

    There is a fantastic group on Facebook - sidesaddle riders! I'm sure they would love to help you out. I'm still learning about it. All I can say is that if you have a bad saddle it will be dreadful to ride in but I don't know enough to know what bad looks like so I really can't be of any more help.
    Hope this works out!!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2004
    Posts
    10,719

    Default

    Wait for Sidesaddle Rider to post, she is an expert on all things sidesaddle, or send her a PM.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2012
    Posts
    4,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I just found this specimen on CL near me:

    http://eugene.craigslist.org/grd/3652688718.html

    It could open a whole new chapter in my riding life. But I know nothing about riding side saddle, nor better or worse in those.

    Do I snap this one up and follow the will of Allah, wherever it leads?

    PS If it is not supposed to be mine, but is supposed to be yours, I would be happy to go look at it for you and help you follow your side saddle destiny.
    This is a modern, mass-produced sidesaddle of very recent manufacture. Most of them come out of India or Pakistan and they retail new for about $400 on E-bay all the time. They can be useful saddles to learn on if they fit you and your horse.

    If you're not yet ready to spend thousands on a restored Mayhew or Owen, but want to give riding aside a try, if the dimensions work for you this could be worth acquiring; just be aware you may need a saddle fitter to custom-stuff it before it works for your horse. This is normal and expected with sidesaddles.

    Good Luck!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2011
    Location
    Englandshire
    Posts
    600

    Default

    I second the Sidesaddle Riders! group on Facebook, a font of knowledge on there.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Run far, far away from the CL saddle posted. The amount of time, effort, and money that you would put into it to MAYBE make it rideable would be better spent towards the purchase of a good, older English-made saddle, or the purchase of an Elan from Hundred Oaks (if you do not want to jump).

    Where are you located? There might be someone near you that could give you some lessons, and help to guide you in starting your aside journey.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,778

    Default

    It is all about balance and I doubt these cheaies would have that, or the fit.
    I had an Owen that I was very proud of and paid 50 pounds for from the Midlands in England.

    Agree with SSR above.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Run far, far away from the CL saddle posted. The amount of time, effort, and money that you would put into it to MAYBE make it rideable would be better spent towards the purchase of a good, older English-made saddle, or the purchase of an Elan from Hundred Oaks (if you do not want to jump).

    Where are you located? There might be someone near you that could give you some lessons, and help to guide you in starting your aside journey.
    Thank you all for your help.

    I'm in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. This is the home of the POS saddle of every persuasion. Also, we are the home of the $800 unbroke 11 year old grade horse, usually with a picture of a kid on top and someone holding the horse in a rope halter, and a CL person claiming it could be a great gaming horse.

    Why wouldn't this apply to side saddles, too? But I didn't want to be a preemptive snob since I know nothing about those and certainly don't need to start at the top.

    This one is a 19". IIRC, I have only seen side saddles with longer seats, like 20" or 21." Would this fit no one?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul. 16, 2001
    Location
    The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo
    Posts
    638

    Default

    A gal I know is selling a nice older english made one, she's my height and build, a well endowed 5'7ish and its a 22 inch seat, fwiw...



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 13, 2001
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    6,133

    Default

    That saddle is horrid, not level amoung other things. Run away.
    I.D.E.A. yoda



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2009
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    That saddle is horrid, not level amoung other things. Run away.

    Agreeing with this AND with SSR. Sidesaddles aren't cheap, but they're definitely worth the money you spend on them as long as you take care of them. You are only asking for trouble if you bought that piece of crap. There are plenty oldie but goodies available out there that might disagree with your pocket at first, but your horse will love you for it.

    I second the SSR group on facebook. It's how I got started a couple years ago and the experience and knowledge I've gained is incredible. Not to mention, those ladies are totally bonkers, helpful, and very, very amazing!



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jan. 27, 2012, 12:39 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec. 7, 2011, 12:09 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct. 6, 2011, 01:56 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep. 28, 2010, 02:30 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Mar. 30, 2010, 01:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness