The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hilda Gurney Clinic

So, who else when to Ocala? I thought she was great. Knew just what each horse needed and had enough exercises in her toolbox to help. I wish I could have gone both days to see the difference in the rides from the first day. She could be tough on the riders who couldn't take instruction.

It was sooooo cold but what a beautiful farm! (after we finally figured out how to get into it (signage was pointing the wrong way). Sorry, I didn't take notes.

Nice horses and riders.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Didn't know about it - if on a weekend I would have loved to go audit.
    Sandy in Fla.

Some one from our barn went and loved it. I didn't know about it at all, would have loved to audit too.

(Edited to add: If you didn't know about it, "like" STRIDE dressage of Ocala on FB - I always post this stuff, and clinics at any other barns I learn about....Better yet, join STRIDE - they gave $50 back to all of us who attended!)
    I was there both days. Second day was much better. She spent the majority of day 1 fixing rider problems - most riders shared the same ones - sit on inside seatbone, keep calves on, don't float hands, don't cross inside hand over withers, shorten snaffle rain (not both of them!! - geeze, can't you tell the difference? Even Hilda seemed to get testy about the rider issues by midafternoon!). I was fairly discouraged to spend $$ and time in the frigid wind listening to this on Saturday! (And I had gifted my trainer with Saturday..... ) On Sunday, finally got to write some good exercises down to share with my trainer.... all the riders/rides were significantly improved - I guess they listened to the comments and looked at their videos on Sat night!!

I was the second to last rider both days. Riding a big dark bay/black horse named Nabucco, aka Niko. He is my FEI gelding, whom I was riding in a snaffle. So I know the comment about shortening both reins is not directed at me.

It is very nerve wracking riding in that type of atmosphere. Lots of people. Super windy, super spooky. Plus having to change a lot about how you ride in 2 lessons is tough! I am the one who had a tough time with the half pass exercise the first day. I tried very hard. But it was definitely tough. Throughout the rest of my lesson Hilda was very pleased. Super complimentary, in fact! And by Sunday, after watching my video, we only had to do the half pass exercise briefly before she told me she was proud of my improvement, and we moved on to other things.

Of course when you change one thing in training, you often open a whole can of worms in other exercises. Our tempis were a little, um, wobbly. But I have video proof that we can and do ride those straight. But what better time to encounter bobbles than during a clinic?

I enjoyed the experience very much!
    Pictures of my horses and I.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/f322/Treecipitous/

"God forbid that I should go to a Heaven in which there are no horses"

3 members found this post helpful.

Treecipitous, your horse is lovely,and I enjoyed watching you both days. The HP "look at the inside hind" was hard for lots of riders! But it made such a difference!

Definitely a spooky arena - maybe it's the horses running around just outside the fence, blankets and all??? Or maybe it's the high hedges that restrict most of the view to the adjacent warm up and paddock? Or those Nutreena flappy tall banners (just like the used car lots!) ? I would have been a mess, never mind my horse!

L

Treecipitous, you could tell from Hilda's comments she was very pleased with you, but you were obviously one of the "teachable" students. We could tell who she was frustrated with. And I loved her comments "Never apologize for your horse's gaits". Your horse was super and we loved the fact that you were grinning from ear to ear.

The fact that the sun kept going in and out, changing the shadows and the riders trying so hard was enough for many of the horses to be a bit on edge.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous