The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't believe I actually said out loud to my horse.....

On course last weekend (our first completed training level event):

"Pay attention to me! Do you want us to get a DR?!"

http://seema-thefloridachronicles.bl...nd-riding.html

Anyone else remember talking to their horse beyond the usual, good boy or whoa
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I pretty much have an ongoing conversation when I'm out on course, I think it helps my mind on a.)staying on course and b.)actively riding. It's either that or I'm singing (which I started a looong time ago to help me actually breathe on course) whatever comes to mind... Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Monty Python Holy Grail theme...

I remember one time my horse was just barreling along after a big oxer and a combination was coming up. Horse was NOT getting the memo with all my half halts that he might need to collect a leeettle bit before the A/B. "Goober there's a combination coming up." "Goober, I really would like my xc record to stay without letters..." "Goober, for the love of all that is HOLY, SLOW DOWN!" Didn't the little b---rd sink back on his hocks 3 strides out and soar through effortlessly...

At the last schooling show Bailey had completely tuned me out and was barreling along at Training (and sometimes Prelim) speed around our Novice course. Approaching a max table on a slight uphill I told him he was going to kill us both and I hoped he was happy. He finally came back a bit, but after that table I had to literally pull him up to reaffirm who was really the one steering. Pretty sure the commentary from that part was "I am not kidding! I AM THE ONES WITH THUMBS SO I CALL THE SHOTS!" His brain made its way back into his skull after that, so I felt it was a success. We went clear and under time.

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree with Hello! I'm always singing while I ride, especially when I'm alone. I've gotten a few weird looks while hacking from some of my barn mates but a few of them are used to it by now. It's a good way to stay concentrated. I'm always waiting to see my horse's ears pop back to know that she is listening and actually paying attention. It helps give me reassurance!
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

Perhaps I need to expand my vocabulary during our XC runs. All I holler out is "GOOD BOY!!!" after each successful obstacle and "GET UP!!!" (again near the top of my lungs - I'm sure folks still in the start box can hear me) when he hangs a hoof.

Didn't realize this until I watch my first helmet cam video.

https://www.contour.com/videos/watch...t-june-23-2012

Of course, my one friend says to me, "And what am I supposed to gather from this, apart from that he is a 'Good Boy'?" <= $h-thead

Anyone care to be my script writer? The bonus is that you can't do worse than what is already coming out my mouth.
    Cindy Geres

Home of Foxwind SL (Cdn Trakehner and Cdn Sport Horse Approved)
    www.sprucelane.net

This reminds me of a lady who boarded at the same barn one winter as I did. She would speak like this:

"Ortex, please slow down. Ortex, I've asked you nicely. Ortex, slow down! Ortex, if you don't slow down, I'm not giving you a carrot tonight. Ortex!"

And yes, I remember this horse's name 16 years later...
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

3 members found this post helpful.

When I'm alone I'm normally pretty quiet on a horse but I do sing a little and hum a LOT whether I'm riding or on the ground. I do talk to them some though, saying things like:
    "Sorry buddy, but we're going to take the long trail this time",
    "Would you please just pay attention to ME?!"
    "What a good boy you are - a very, very good boy".
    "For crying out loud, will this path EVER dry up?!"
    With me I suppose it's just occasional stream of thought dribble. I don't expect an answer...

I often chat to my horse... The Red Mare is fun, conversations are usually something like this "Mare, would you stop running through my hands? Stop that, just be a good girl! You don't even have to actually be good, you can just pretend to be good! Just pretend to be good and we can be done!"
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I was about 3/4 of the way around my second Training at Marlborough, coming in to the pavilion field with the banks, when my legs turned to jello. The spoken dialogue went something like this... "Oookay buddy...it's all you...you got this! C'moooon buddy! Just a few more! Mama's gettin' tired!"

The year before that I ran my first BN at Marlborough's starter trial. Rounding the corner to the "ditch" (a piece of plywood with two ground rails) the jump judge was treated to "c'moooon buddy! it's a DITCH! pay attention! you got this! CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK *pony club kick*" Lincoln very calmly lengthened his trot stride to step over it. I saw bystanders doubling over with laughter.

ETA: Ok just thought of a recent one...Waradaca T3D...big powerful canter up the hill, locked on to the first of a bending line...when I feel a sudden decrease in RPMs and a hard look to the right. If anyone was nearby they heard, "FOR GOD'S SAKE, THEY'RE NOT REAL GEESE!" Thank you whoever was in charge of the geese decorating at jump 23a

4 members found this post helpful.

I know my farrier overhead me saying something to baby Vernon as he tanked off with me at MDHT at novice. We were headed down hill with a bit of a gallop in front of us, and he just grabbed the bit and shot off like a little rocket. I think I said something along the lines of "'NOVICE SPEED, Vernon." Or possibly "You are NOT a race horse anymore, Vernon." And also "God damnit, Vernon!" Bad baby Vernon!!! He also got, over our partnership together "YOU ARE SUCH A ROCKSTAR!!!!"

I talk to Toby constantly, in and out of the saddle. I've been lungeing him pre-rides a bit lately (vet's orders), and I can say "Are you done?" if he's looking like he's hit the point we're looking for. If he's done, he walks...if he's not, he keeps going. I know I had a "We're going novice, not prelim" conversation at the last event of the fall, when I bumped us way back for my mental sake. That was a feet on the dashboard, emergency brake on the whole time kinda ride I, for whatever reason, do find myself chatting a lot with him. I may read into him too much, but he responds a lot, too, to what I'm saying. He and I have a much different relationship than any other horse I've ever had, so I think we may be a little more connected, so he picks up on my body VERY easily.

I have on more than one occasion pleaded with my horse to jump all the jumps for me

I also say "No" a lot. If he grabs the bit and runs or starts bucking and playing I will just yell out a chorus of "No, no, no, no, no" until he stops whatever it was he was doing. I talk a lot out on xc. Mostly "Good boy" and the like but I'm sure I have said some crazy things before.

I have a friend that you can hear talking across entire fields. She just babbles the whole way. Whatever keeps you calm I guess!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Hee hee... I'm glad I'm not the only one. I talk to myself, talk to Fleck, talk to the jump judges...

I've definitely yelled "For the love of God, PAY ATTENTION AND SLOW DOWN!... I do not want a DR"... I've also told him "You don't know where you're going.. you may think you do, but you don't. So pay attention and let me drive'!. heee hee. Of course he gets a ton of Good boys and You're freakin' awesome!! What a machine! I've also been known to tell myself "Good girl" when I do something right. ha ha.. not very often. And I've said Hi and apologized to jump judges before. At one disastrous event I had stop, then jumped the next jump and over jumped it so we went careening around instead of calmly carrying on to the next jump. I told them "It's cool, we got this" and then proceeded to refuse it. Doh...
    I do talk to him on trails too... I let him pick which day he wants to go and I swear he always picks the longer path. I don't know if he's directionally challenged or just wants to keep hanging out. I like to think the latter.

All the time.

I thought everyone did.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

2 members found this post helpful.

ALL the time!! Pay attention God d@mmit" is a fave when someone is barreling around jumps and not listening, and lots of good boy! when they are good. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it - I usually have a whole conversation going when I'm on Mr. Insecurity. I was on him saturday when my poor husband came around the corner of the house at the exact instant I yelled "oh no you don't, buster!" He yelled back "I'm just looking for the dog!"

3 members found this post helpful.

I always talk to my horse when I am riding her. She is very funny and is always flapping her lips like she is talking and I say she is cussing me out. The good thing is my horse usually pays attention to my comments. Like if trappy footing is ahead of us, I say "easy" or if we are going down a steepish hill that has tricky footing I will say "step" alternating with "easy". I do often sing to her when we ride out alone. If I feel that she is a little energized, I will occasionally say Hoe-a. If she is sucking back at doing something she gets a firm "walk up". She does get lots of "good girl's" with some pats on the neck. Luckily, I often ride by myself so nobody hears me...hehe.

Oh yes .... Watch out ahead, it's a ditch (whatever)... I think he listens....lots of atta boys....thanks yous...and lots of so sorrys.....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Mostly I say "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee !"

1 members found this post helpful.

I've been scolded for apologizing to my horse (especially in show jumping, where I am even more prone to say I'm sorry!). Not because my horse doesn't DESERVE my apologies for putting him in tough situations and my gratitude for getting me out...but just because, well, supposedly it never looks as bad as I think it feels, so I draw more attention to my mistakes when I apologize!

Quote Originally Posted by SpruceLane View Post
    Perhaps I need to expand my vocabulary during our XC runs. All I holler out is "GOOD BOY!!!" after each successful obstacle and "GET UP!!!" (again near the top of my lungs - I'm sure folks still in the start box can hear me) when he hangs a hoof.

Didn't realize this until I watch my first helmet cam video.

https://www.contour.com/videos/watch...t-june-23-2012

Of course, my one friend says to me, "And what am I supposed to gather from this, apart from that he is a 'Good Boy'?" <= $h-thead

Anyone care to be my script writer? The bonus is that you can't do worse than what is already coming out my mouth.
    I love that video!

I'm also guilty of talking to my mount on course but I ride hunters mostly so people really think in batty.

I use to talk to Mercedes all the time on trails, but not so much in other venues. One thing she did at times would be almost akin to humming, horse style. It didn't happen all the time, but mostly in moments we we were both just relaxed, happy, enjoying time together.

I talk with Sterling much more when jumping cross country (lessons or show). Most of it will be variations of "good boy" or "nice one" or "thank you!" Something my trainer started me on and I do more now is talk about an up coming jump. "Okay boy, next jump, see the log, funny bump, you got it...good" at which point I look up, grab mane and trust my guy (with backup just in case). Rarely does he run through my hand, but if I feel him getting frisky I start with an "Easy boyo" and a core message, then the half halt if needed.

I love it when they talk back. Granted not in words, but you can feel what they are saying. Last cross country schooling we were about half way through the lesson, had just finished a set of jumps, one which was pushing our comfort zone. When we came to a halt by my trainer I could feel the confidence coming from this horse. I could hear him saying, "don't stop Dad, what's next, now where?". He wanted more. I guess I'm saying that Sterling and I are starting to have more a conversation then a one sided talk.