The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plight of the Paddock Boots.

My Ariat heritages finally died. I got about 3 years out of them, one being barn work also. The toe seams split (where the cap ends) on both feet.
    I snagged a pair in a half size smaller at Dover for $50 a few years ago. My daily pair was a little big, so these were my back up.

And then I had a baby.

Feet grew a half a size and stayed that way. My back ups, size 8, no longer fit comfortably at all, and the 8 1/2 pair are just done done and done.

I need a new pair.

I don't want to buy Ariats, will if there is no other option left.

I have to have a round toe. I have wide feet and on top of that
    I hate pointy toes (the look).

Recommendations or should I just (gulp) buy the Heritage RT again? I don't work at the barn anymore, so barn work is a moot point. I would like something waterproof-ish.

Does Mountain Horse make a non-winter round toe paddock boot? Any reviews?

I'm confused as to why you don't want Ariats after this pair has served you faithfully for three years?

(not snarking, I am seriously confused)
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

they were not fun to break in, and they split at the toe. I've noticed that trend. I'm also trying to get away from dropping $120.

I agree- three years is a pretty good time frame for paddock boots, especially if you are cleaning in them!

1 members found this post helpful.

Whoops, posted at the same time!

Same thing happened to my Ariats. I just took them to a cobbler and he sewed patches over the holes in the toe cap. It was really cheap (I think under $10) and made my boots fully functional again. Sure, they aren't going to win any beauty contests, but if you're just cleaning and schooling in them, who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    they were not fun to break in, and they split at the toe. I've noticed that trend. I'm also trying to get away from dropping $120.
    I used to love Ariat because they fit me better than other brands but they do seem to have slipped in quality in the last 5-7 years. I also used to faithfully buy them on sale through the Dover catalogs - they never seem to offer the same good sale prices anymore. While $20 isn't much, smart pack offers the heritage boots for $99 and free shipping. My heritage boots are cracked (but were very well used) and I'm looking at buying another pair through SmartPack/Stateline.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I don't have an answer for you, but I CAN tell you that my Tredsteps, while comfortable, didn't even last a year of light use before blowing out the heel...IIRC, it was closer to six months. So I wouldn't consider those an option.

J-Lu, I cannot find them at that price on either site??

My Ariat paddock boots finally wore out after a few years, and I bought a pair of the Ariat boots that have synthetic fabric uppers, from Smartpak. I love them; they are tough, comfortable and the bottom part is completely waterproof, plus they are pretty inexpensive.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

When I was recently shopping for paddock boots I found that none of the Ariat brand were wide enough. It was very frustrating.
    I ended up with a pair of discontinued Mountain Horse that were way marked down at the tack store.

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    My Ariat paddock boots finally wore out after a few years, and I bought a pair of the Ariat boots that have synthetic fabric uppers, from Smartpak. I love them; they are tough, comfortable and the bottom part is completely waterproof, plus they are pretty inexpensive.
    You're probably talking about these:
    http://www.ariat.com/English/Women/F...ml?color=BLACK

Those are my paddock boots of choice. I have a pretty wide foot and they're fine.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I have a big, wide foot. I wear 10.5 men's Ariat paddock boots in M which are comfortable for me. The ladies boots (not that they are long enough anyway) are just too narrow. If the boot is ill fitting they will wear out faster.

I also don't like to pay full price so I keep my eyes on Ebay. I've purchased three pair at half price or less that had tons of wear left in them.

All the ones I've gotten off of Ebay were worn as fashion boots, not working boots. I got one pair for half price that had only been worn once as part of a costume. I'm pretty hard on them but I'm getting better than 2 years out of a pair and I'm ashamed to say cleaning them is usually not high on my priority list.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    You're probably talking about these:
    http://www.ariat.com/English/Women/F...ml?color=BLACK

Those are my paddock boots of choice. I have a pretty wide foot and they're fine.
    Those be them, only I got zippers. I can't stand boots that are too tight on my feet, and they fit great.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

The most awesome paddock boots I ever had were Dansko's but I'm not sure if they still make them. Personally I love my Ariats, but I also have a pair of Dublins that are comfy and have held up well, plus they are not as pricey as the Ariats.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I have the catalog at home. I'll report back with catalog numbers tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    The most awesome paddock boots I ever had were Dansko's but I'm not sure if they still make them. Personally I love my Ariats, but I also have a pair of Dublins that are comfy and have held up well, plus they are not as pricey as the Ariats.
    They stopped making Danskos probably 10 years ago now They were my favorites, too.

I like my Dublin paddock boots. Actually I like all my Dublin boots. I have Aristocrat tall dress boots, paddock boots and Pinnacles (kind of a trendy riding/wear everywhere boot). I use and abuse all of them and they serve me faithfully for years.

Sadly, you are right! I looked at the date of my catalog...oops...good thing I didn't place my order yet. *sigh*, I really don't want to pay $120 for these boots either.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    They stopped making Danskos probably 10 years ago now They were my favorites, too.
    Most recent Doer catalog has Dansko paddock boots- not sure if they're comparable to the old ones but may be worth a look!