The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Training surcingle/roller with rings low on the sides?

I'm trying to incorporate more long lining/double longeing/in hand work as I get my mare back in shape.

I have a cheap nylong training surcingle, but the rings stop rather high up on the sides. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced one with lower rings? I've seen pictures from the SRS with the lower rings, but obviously I don't want to pay as much as one of those would be!

Clip a carabiner down low on each side through the billets for the girth.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh my gosh why didn't I think of that...

Not sure what you mean by "reasonably priced," but I have this: http://www.sstack.com/Western_Traini...ing-Surcingle/ and have been very happy with it.

There is a less expensive version of it: http://www.sstack.com/Western_Traini...ing-Surcingle/ that is supposed to be the same design as Victor but is not made in US and perhaps not as sturdy.

If you are doing long lining, try to find one that has riveted top rings so the line can slide through smoothly. Many surcingle has collapsed top rings and that can catch the line.

Dover's has rings fairly far down: http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover%3...gle/p/X1-3086/

The leather isn't great quality, but mine has lasted a dozen years, (not heavily used though.)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Oooo that leather one is soooo pretty!

My BO has the Dover one, and her's broke! I'll have to hold it up and see if the rings are low enough for what I'd like. I know they have a great return policy now, and I have the credit card (just for the flat rate shipping!).

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Clip a carabiner down low on each side through the billets for the girth.
    I have the same problem and this is a great idea!
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Dressage Extensions also has several leather surcingles with lots of rings similar to those previously posted. We bought one many years ago (don't know which from the current descriptions but it was less than $100) and it has held up really well.

THe dover ones do NOT last....leather does. And for the most part you dont use the very low Ds anyway. Try to find one with standing turrets (near the wither part) as well.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

I'm going to jump in in the defense of the Dover one. I borrowed a friends that was every bit of 10yrs old and it was in great shape and suited my purposes perfectly. I liked it so much I set out to buy one, found a used one on ebay for $25, and its still going strong after 3 years with me. I long line on average 4x a month, though in the spring its closer to 4x a week.

No the leather is not what anyone would call quality, and I could see it breaking if girthed riding tight. But it is nice and wide, has a great nice wide gullet with lovely angled pads and it has rings everywhere you could possibly want them. The rings are large and not prone to flopping about like other surcingles.

Its of course not as nice as the leather example given, but its the best durn $25 I've ever spent.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

I don't know if Victor Supreme out in Scottsdale is still around, but they used to have some expensive surcingles that I coveted. If I were ever to buy one again, I'd be looking their direction. It has been a long time since I have seen anything from them, but their leather quality used to be wonderful.

yes they are beautiful! but at least double what i want to spend. i'd only use it once every week or two.

I wanted rings essentially all the way around, and as many as could be crammed into one surcingle. I wound up with a neoprene one from either vto or horseloverz. Ipaid around $70 for it.

In defense of the Dover canvas wonder. I finally retired the one I inherited from my mom. It had a few repairs on it, but was laid to rest at the age of 35.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

that's pretty much what i want. do you think you could find a link for me? i've looked on horseloverz but couldn't find anything i liked.

Let me root around and see what I find. It was about 6 months ago

Amazon has one that'll work. I can't find the one I have.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I just got one off of smartpaks website, it was 59.99, leather with some stretchy, roller buckles, and TONS of rings, and some really low even.

I have a leather one I got from Dover, but not their brand. Dang, looks like they don't sell it anymore, I think it was Camelot. It has lasted forever, it is very well sewn, I think it was about $75.

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    I don't know if Victor Supreme out in Scottsdale is still around, but they used to have some expensive surcingles that I coveted. If I were ever to buy one again, I'd be looking their direction. It has been a long time since I have seen anything from them, but their leather quality used to be wonderful.

The first link in my post (the one sold at schneiders) is the Victor Supreme you are talking about I think and that is the one I ended up with, after countless searches... The problem when I was looking for a surcingle was to find one that has riveted top rings, not the collapsed ones. It is important for long lining. The one at Dover has collapsed rings, and even the one at dressage extension, if I remember correctly, has collapsed rings too. Some have rings that are too small for the buckles of the lines to go through...

well that's silly! i wonder if there's a way you could rig the rings so they stand up? i'd hate to super glue something on a surcingle as nice as those though!

Yeah, I know, that is silly, and I got one sitting in my tack room... So annoying... Emirae1091, if you don't want to spend $$$ on that Victor Supreme, see whether the Premier Multi-Ring surcingle will work for you. When I talked to Schneiders, they told me the design are the same and for people who use it maybe a couple of times a week, should be more than sturdy enough. And no, you cannot superglue the ring lol. In order for the ring to remain standing up, the surcingle needs to have some sort of tree built into it, and I imagine that is why they are more expensive. Of course, if you are doing lunging only, it is not important.