The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Going off "PopRocks"

Over a year ago I treated my guy's ulcers with Ulcerguard, confirmed healing with scoping, then put him on Abler's "poprocks" as maintenance. He's been on the poprocks for almost a year: 1 packet/daily and 2 packets/day during stressful times. It seems he's been ulcer free since!

NOW, my vet tells me I need to protect the hindgut, too. So, in order for me to afford this, I am considering finding a top quality (veterinarian/science-backed) supplement to protect both the stomach and the hindgut, and I need your opinions! RiteTrac is currently in the top running.

I am well-versed and well-studied on ulcer treatment and management. My guy is on an easily digestible QUALITY complete feed with as much turnout and hay as possible - none of this will be changed. Without getting into the discussion about grain/feeding, talk to me about your experiences with taking your horse off poprocks and how you alternatively managed an ulcer-prone stomach.

1 members found this post helpful.

NeverEnd, thanks for starting this thread, because I am in the same research mode. And RiteTrac is also my top contender, FWIW.

Stryder - I spoke with a representative of KER a few days ago. I asked if it was safe to give in conjunction with poprocks, she says yes. Also I wanted to know if horses have been given RiteTrac to replace omeprazole. I received a rather generic answer to that. I most likely won't be making any supplement changes until I see real studies and/or evidence that horses like mine can thrive without a daily PPI. Hoping COTHers can share their successes!

Always wean omeprazole if the animal has been on it more than a few weeks. Other than that, any specific supplement to help "sustain" things is pretty much a crapshoot--they all are basically mixtures of the same 3-4 different ingredients, so if you are a believer, try one that is palatable. I don't use anything, personally.

You are not going to find "studies" that are legitimate for most nutraceuticals/supplements. If you are inclined to use one, probably a buffer is your best bet.
    Click here before you buy.

Sorry to be so ignorant - but what are "pop rocks"? Just getting familiar with this topic of equine ulcer management.

Lateralwork: "pop rocks" = Abprazole (omeprazole) made by Abler. They are little blue pellets, they actually look like the "Nerds" candy.

I can't imagine a vet OKing a horse being an omeprazole for a year straight? Isn't it a medication that you're supposed to take the horse off of once the ulcers have healed?

As for a hindgut supplement, Equishure is a good one.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Most people self-administer omeprazole--vets are rarely involved.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I can't imagine a vet OKing a horse being an omeprazole for a year straight? Isn't it a medication that you're supposed to take the horse off of once the ulcers have healed?

As for a hindgut supplement, Equishure is a good one.
    Sublimequine, my mare has been on the preventive dose of omeprazole in one form or another for almost 2 years, with my vets' (yep, both of them) full knowledge. I've tried to wean her off various times, and she began exhibiting full-blown ulcer behavior.

It's only been in the past couple months, when people starting talking more about hind-gut problems and my mare starting showing symptoms associated with them, that I started looking at making a change.

FWIW, EquiShure is incorporated into KER's RiteTrac.

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    Sublimequine, my mare has been on the preventive dose of omeprazole in one form or another for almost 2 years, with my vets' (yep, both of them) full knowledge. I've tried to wean her off various times, and she began exhibiting full-blown ulcer behavior.

It's only been in the past couple months, when people starting talking more about hind-gut problems and my mare starting showing symptoms associated with them, that I started looking at making a change.

FWIW, EquiShure is incorporated into KER's RiteTrac.
    To me that would be something concerning, if the horse immediately develops ulcers again the second it's taken off omeprazole, I think my vet would want to look further into that.

BUT, I've also never dealt with ulcers (thank goodness, not to jinx it!), so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Well, we have thought about taking her to a shrink, but she won't sign the release form. :-)

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    Well, we have thought about taking her to a shrink, but she won't sign the release form. :-)
    I'd say give her some Ace then see if she'll sign it, but that may be ethically wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I'd say give her some Ace then see if she'll sign it, but that may be ethically wrong.
    Yep, she would get the authorities on speed-dial so fast. Or one of her wait-staff would dial for her. She is the head mare at her barn and generally obeyed.

I don't know if ranitidine is any "better" for long term use vs. omeprazole, but my horse is similar to yours in that he becomes symptomatic if not on either ranitidine or omeprazole. In stressful situations (i.e. the stall rest/limited turnout he has been in) even his ranitidine alone doesn't keep him from becoming symptomatic again and I have to add a pack of pop rocks. I personally did not see any benefit from SmartGut or UGard, though I haven't tried RiteTrac. I asked my vet if it would harm him to be on ranitidine indefinitely, and she said that while it would be best to have him on as low of a dose as possible, she doesn't know of any long term harmful effects of being on ranitidine (perhaps there have been no studies on this?). My horse is finally going back to his normal barn/turnout/hay situtation which is ideal, and I am hoping this will allow me to reduce his ranitidine.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Ranitidine reduces acid production for 8 hours. Omeprazole does it for 24, which is the reason you don't want a horse on that long-term (at a full dose, at least).

You could technically, I suppose, keep a horse on 1 dose of ranitidine for a long time, since he's spending the other 16 hours without any reduction in acid.

My ulcer-prone horse was treated with GastroGard for 28 days and then we spent another 28 days weaning him off of it. He started on SmartGut Ultra during the second month of GastroGard and we haven't had any issues with his ulcer symptoms returning. He also gets UlcerGard when we travel or show.

SmartGut Ultra is just for the stomach, but if you want hindgut support, you could give SmartDigest Ultra, too. I don't use that one personally, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Just to clear some things up...because I think ulcers are always an interesting topic and certainly an ever ongoing riddle to solve.

#1. Yes, after treating/healing the ulcers with Ulcergard, I decided to put my guy on poprocks without consulting the vet. When you've owned and cared for your own horses for over 20 years, you tend to make some decisions on your own.
    #2. The vet agrees that my guy should be taken off omeprazole....IF he can live comfortably without it...meaning finding other more "natural" solutions. Vet did say that there are some cases where horses can't live (comfortably) without lifelong drug therapy.
    #3. Vet said that you do NOT have to wean them off of the omeprazole even if they've been taking it for a year.
    #4. Ranitidine is also a drug, the LT implications would most likely be similar to omeprazole?? Also, Ranitidine isn't too practical for daily use, since it's dosed 3x/day

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Vet is almost certainly quite wrong on point #3.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Vet is almost certainly quite wrong on point #3.
    I'd tend to agree with delta on this.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

#3. Vet said that you do NOT have to wean them off of the omeprazole even if they've been taking it for a year.
    Yikes! If you just cold-turkey stop the omeprazole, you're chances of an acid-rebound effect are extremely high, especially if your horse has been on omeprazole for a year.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."