The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cat Agility

Does anyone run cat agility courses with their kitteh? Are you part of an organized group of cat wranglers? Does your group take moggies or purebreds only?

How do you know if a cat is suited for it? Is it pure athleticism or do they have to have other skills?

I believe my guy has kangaroo and greyhound genes mixed in there somewhere. Even back in her younger years, my girl kitty wasn't nearly this athletic -- Little Man shocked me this morning when he made a clean leap from the floor over the span of a double bed, landing on the very edge to spring board his way across a 12ft span to the doorway into the bathroom.

1 members found this post helpful.

HA! I tried to teach my cats agility. Didn't have any luck!

I was a high-bank obstacle this evening when the Chase was on...

The bouncies are common around here, Miss Bengal is the prime offender....although, Miss Queen has her own special idea of fun: like climbing on the very tp of my vanity, then taking a flying leap off there, right onto me....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I watch it at cat shows a couple of times a year. I think it's very cool, and hardly any kitties make the whole course. They find other things more interesting as they go along and just sort of detour. Most follow a "feathers on a stick" type toy. I thought one of my cats that fetches might like it, but I don't have time.

if this kid can do it, so can you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZR4-f5qqAE

she's a pretty good trainer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBPCoVU1Ecc

Yup, all of the agility really amounts to.....

The handler who can best brainwash the cat in the style of Patty Hurst's abductors.

Now, I don't say that lightly or without cause. But I ask you, have you ever gotten to the bottom of a cat's athleticism before you got to the bottom of his willingness to do the damn job? If the answer is no, then what are those competing cats comparing?

Also, there are skeevy dudes with cats doing tricks on the street in Times Square in Manhattan. Yes, this is for money, pimping out the kitteh. I have no idea how they train those cats. They don't look unhappy but are absurdly obedient. They must be seen to be believed.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    The handler who can best brainwash the cat in the style of Patty Hurst's abductors.
    No, I think he has ME close to being brainwashed that way.

He's very food motivated and loves attention. He'd probably be pretty easy to train as long as there were treats involved. I was thinking about picking up a clicker kit and giving it a go with him.

Go for it! I think it works on super food motivated kittehs with some energy. From the kitty show agility I've seen, it seems less about athleticism and more about motivation and mental stamina to keep working without reward (which is given after completion).

That kid is right on! Her kitty is double footing!! What spacing are those weaves?!?

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    No, I think he has ME close to being brainwashed that way.

He's very food motivated and loves attention. He'd probably be pretty easy to train as long as there were treats involved. I was thinking about picking up a clicker kit and giving it a go with him.
    Yes, but Bicoastal is right unless.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    Go for it! I think it works on super food motivated kittehs with some energy. From the kitty show agility I've seen, it seems less about athleticism and more about motivation and mental stamina to keep working without reward (which is given after completion).
    You are very busy and have an even shorter attention span that a cat.

Seriously, if you can bottle Delayed Gratification In A Cat and sell it, lemme know. I'll be first in line.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat