The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What would you be willing to pay more towards board for?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlimited hay 24/7

61 68.54%
  • More sawdust

28 31.46%
  • Bigger stalls (14x14 or 16x16)

33 37.08%
  • Web Camera of your horse's stall

9 10.11%
  • Other

23 25.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    I feed up to 5 lbs of grain daily in three divided meals. My grain costs $25 per 50# bag. Most of the retirees here do well on 5 lbs per day or less. If they need more than that, the owner pays a surcharge. I don't feel it is fair to my other boarders to pay a higher cost for board if their horses are average keepers.
    5 lbs a day is not that much, unless you are feeding something with a super high calorie count. In that case, the ones not getting much of the grain (because they don't need the calories) may not be getting the benefits of the feed's fortifications. What are you feeding, if I may ask?

ETA: I looked at your website- are all the horses fed oil? I would think that would indicate a need for more calories, which might be better served with more grain instead of the oil.

My barn uses sawdust as bedding, which is either $40 or $60 for a dump trailer load that beds 32 stalls for a week (I'm not sure whether the sawmill considers that trailer a medium or large size, hence the price options). For barn owners living in logging areas, sawdust may be a good alternative to bagged shavings. I actually prefer it because it sifts much better than shavings do so it's easier to clean the stalls.

I feed Pennfields Sr to one horse, Fibergized Omega to 2 horses, Blue Seal Sentinel for an old horse that came here on that and another Pennfields feed to a younger horse.

I feed oil for the benefit of the Omega 3s and 6s and because it helps prevent the supplements from sifting to the bottom of the feed. It also does wonders for the coat.

I am worried about high concentrates and colic issues. I want the horses to look good but not be carrying around extra weight that would stress their joints.

I have no issue feeding more than 5 lbs of grain for the horses that need it. I just don't see raising my board if most horses don't need it. All the horses here (except mine) are retired. I also have pretty decent pasture. Since there is only one horse here that this program doesn't work for, that is the one who absorbs the difference in costs.

Adding just one pound of grain a day( Fibergized Omega) translates to an additional $32 per month. That's why I have a 5 lb maximum. I can't afford to be paying that much per month in grain in addition to feed and bedding costs without raising my rates.

That's a lot of different feeds! My barn has a 10% sweet feed and strategy that are "house" feeds, and anything else you provide yourself. Though they're all in work so the needs are different than retirees.

Tell me about it!!!

I am honestly trying to do what's best for each individual horse, and it can be a real challenge. Thank goodness for Coth!!!

I think the most difficult issue with boarding seniors is that as their age advances, they become more expensive to take care of, yet owners don't want to pay a lot for a horse they no longer ride. I walk a fine line trying to keep my costs down and still give the best care that I can. Sometimes I joke that I run an equine assisted living facility vs a retirement farm!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwayu View Post
    I think I ought to forward this thread to my boarders as they have no idea how good they have it. My stalls are 12'x12' with attached large paddocks. They are bedded so deep that I start with roughly 7-8 bags of shavings and kept that way, unlimited hay in front of them, heated water buckets, hot/cold indoor wash stall, tack room, riding ring with lights that gets dragged all the time, and access to my security cameras to view their horses and the care they receive on their phones/computers. Heck, i even worm and give supplements/medications for them. They have it way too good!!!
    1. I would definitely appreciate your barn and your work!! haha

2. If you don't mind me asking, how big are your attached paddocks and what kind of doors do you have that go out to the paddock? I LOVE this idea and wish more barns around me had this, because this would give the barn a major advantage over the others.

Given the choice, I think I would always chose unlimited hay over anything else. However, enough shavings to make the horse comfortable, especially if they are on concrete is super important too. Thankfully I have always boarded at barns with fluffy dirt as a base with shavings over the top.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog