The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What would you be willing to pay more towards board for?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlimited hay 24/7

61 68.54%
  • More sawdust

28 31.46%
  • Bigger stalls (14x14 or 16x16)

33 37.08%
  • Web Camera of your horse's stall

9 10.11%
  • Other

23 25.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What would you be willing to pay more towards board for?

If you had the choice, which of the following would you be willing to (realistically) pay more for each month and how much (in a range)? Example, $10-$20 more a month for more sawdust or $30-$50 for a web camera of my horse's stall.

I think unlimited (or at least as much as the critter will clean up) should be a given. Bedding should be adequate for the base footing in the stall- I would expect a whole lot more over concrete than over dirt and rubber mats.

The web cam? To me that's just stupid. But I'm old enough to remember when to call someone you had to first find a pay phone. I honestly don't understand checking the phone every 30 seconds or other forms of constant monitoring. The only practical purpose of a web cam for me would be to monitor a mare close to foaling or some such.

None of the above.

I wouldn't board anywhere that skimped on hay or sawdust.

My horse is not huge, so he'd be fine in either size stall. I don't need to watch my horse snooze and chew hay.

Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

3 members found this post helpful.

Rather than hay 24/7, how about "hay fed appropriately for each horse"? This would include use of a small-hole hay net or similar for those who are super-easy keepers. My Morgan mare would blow up like a balloon if she had hay all the time, and she's a particularly easy-keeper, for a Morgan. I pay extra to have her hay put in a NibbleNet when she's in her stall, to keep the time she is without hay shorter.

From the BOs perspective, hay is expensive and there are always horses who scatter it around and don't eat it all -- pure waste!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

8 members found this post helpful.

Proper amounts of hay and bedding should be a given. You should not have to pay more in a full board situation for proper amounts of hay for your horse and a properly bedded stall (my exception to that would be if your horse is a pig and on stall rest. I think barn's should feel comfortable with a "hazardous duty" surcharge).

The bigger stalls are over rated in my book (the last barn I managed had a 12 x 15 and a 12 x 18. The horses that lived in them- the BO's horses- really didn't reap any extra benefit). As a BM I would charge more for those stalls because they cost more to bed (unless they were all oversized).

Webcams? I guess paying extra for those would make sense....just never really thought it was necessary except for maybe broodies.

1 members found this post helpful.

Assuming an appropriate amount of hay was fed in the first play, a bigger stall. I grew up in a barn with 14x14 stalls and I have to say, it definitely spoiled me. I'm a tall girl, so any horse I have in the future would be most likely be 16.2+, so big stalls would definitely appeal to me.

Awesome fencing and unlimited turnout are more important to me.

7 members found this post helpful.

I'd pay more for

1. Unlimited bedding. Before rubber mats became common, BOs didn't skimp on bedding in the barns where I was. Most didn't afterwards, either. But it is getting worse, so my idea of regular bedding is usually their idea of "extra."

2. Enough cotton pickin' Turn Out! That's a huge deal to me and adds substantially to the BO's mortgage. I'd expect to pay more for this.

3. Larger stall. Also goes with the extra bedding.

Nor more for enough feed (or less because I had a smaller horse). I wouldn't keep a horse where the BO wasn't committed to keeping them all in adequate calories.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

I would (and do) pay a little more for a bigger stall and extra bedding. Bedding costs are a HUGE chunk of most boarding barns' budgets. I'd be willing to pay for hay 24/7 if any of mine needed it, but they are all fairly easy keepers and hay rations where I board are plenty generous.

I'd be willing to pay for extra turnout if I were stuck at a place with too many horses and not enough paddocks. But I'd be *more* willing to move to another barn in that case!

Other than a mare due to foal imminently, I can't imagine staring at a horse on a web cam, much less paying for that "privilege"! Jeez. I didn't even do that when our son was a baby!
    Click here before you buy.

None. I expect board to include the amount of hay and bedding that the horse needs. I'm not interested in a web cam. If I had a very large horse, I might consider paying extra for an oversize stall.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
    Awesome fencing and unlimited turnout are more important to me.
    yep.

A dedicated dressage arena with letters, lights, and good footing. The barn has nice indoor and outdoor arenas but I would love to have an area to school where I didn't have to dodge jump poles and standards. That would be easily worth another $50.00/month to me.

I'm very happy with the barn, the owners, and the amenities. A dedicated dressage arena would just send it over the top.

The "other" would be maximum possible turnout.

The first two answers suggest that the barn is not giving enough hay or bedding now. I suppose if I was boarding at a barn that had a certain amount of hay or bedding in the contract and that was not enough for my critter I would be willing to pay more to get more bedding or hay (if everything else about the place was what I wanted).

I did select barn cam and I do have one for both of my horses and the barn aisle. Then again we have cams all over our property :0) Since my horse has had a major colic I like to check up on her when she's in the barn and it's nice if they have to stay in and I can keep tabs on what's going on in the barn and if they have enough water/hay. So I think I would pay more for this feature.

It's been awhile since I've full boarded but I think I would pay more for a bigger stall for my mare but not for my pony. She's a pacer at certain times and has hock arthritis at times so bigger the stall the better it is for her hocks (good thing though she's neat!).

I expect plenty of hay and decent amount of shavings when I full board already.

When I saw the topic of the thread - I thought "I would pay more for more turn out!"

Its so hard to come by here in CA - I just had to move facilities (last place with 12 hour turn out - did a bunch of dirt moving work and ruined their turn out ) New place has turnout (on grass no less, rare in CA) - but does not provide turn out. Luckily I co-op with a retired boarder who is able to turn out during the day for me. But I would pay the barn for the service if they would provide it.

I provide extra hay in a small hole net myself (store bales in the horse trailer), and I provide extra bedding as well. I can do both of those for less than most barns charge for "extra".

My place is a "rough board" set up - they provide hay twice a day, cleaning, blanketing, turnout etc are up to the owner.

But there are local expensive FULL care barns - that charge extra for more hay, and extra for deeper bedding in the stalls.

Default other

I would pay extra for a stall with a turnout attached so the horse can go in and out as he chooses 24/7. Also slow hay feeders such as the nibblenet.

My horse has been at home for decades and I can't even imagine boarding but if I did, those two things would be very important.

Only disadvantage to having the ponies at home is that over the years my once practically unlimited access to a neighbors indoor has become much more limited......but I can't really complain.....

In the ideal world, yes, a boarding barn should provide plenty of hay, bedding, turnout, etc. at one price. But I have in the past paid extra for more hay than the allotted amount, or brought my own (and given the hassle of doing so, would have preferred to just pay extra). I have paid for extra bedding/cleaning when I had a horse on stall rest and they needed extras, or brought the extra bedding myself, and done extra cleaning myself. I've paid extra for additional turnout time (I think I was paying $25 maybe $50 extra a month for 2 days extra each week...barn only did 4 days per week due to lack of paddocks).

Web cams...only time I've seen that, the horse owner installed them on her own and barn just provided the power. This was in response to theft/vandalism. I plan to put cams in my own barn, but can't see doing it if I was a boarder. Or paying for it elsewhere. I expect the barn to monitor my horse somewhat as part of what I pay board for, so if cameras help them do that, they can decide to pay for it.

How much is appropriate hay though? My horse's weight is A-Ok with what she gets. However, she is a hoover and can finish 3 flakes in less than 2 hours. I would like her to get more (ideally, somewhat more in more frequent feedings) but I can't say that she "needs" more.

I also hate it when people think that mats mean you need less bedding. I consider mats to be a kind of flooring, not a kind of bedding. But many barns big and small seem to bed so lightly that not only is the floor not covered totally, but there is not enough bedding to absorb urine (or in the case of straw let is drain to where the horse isn't standing in it). And it seems to be mostly for the sake of quick stall cleaning.

I would like to just get what I pay for. I've tried paying extra, for what I feel should be included in the board, but it doesn't happen. So I end up paying more for nothing.
    Yeap, BO is ripping me off.

3 members found this post helpful.