The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I am so glad I don't live "East of Dog River"!

I'm just waiting for my farrier...he just called to say he'd be here a little early...

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Ahhhh yess, the dreaded non weight bearing. I spent 11 weeks on my butt a few years back. It sucks.

9 days down , 6 days more days to get this thing off, and another 14 (fingers crossed) odd days NWB after that. It definitely sucks.

We have about a foot, so I'm on the sofa with the dogs watching The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit on TV. This is my first time watching it so a perfect way to spend the afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I am at work. The only difference between today and a normal weekday is that, because our office is officially closed, I am wearing jeans and there are about 10 other people here instead of a couple hundred.
    There was some snow on the grass this morning but it has all washed away. It keeps alternating between rain and wet snow that melts as soon as it hits the ground. I don't foresee that changing much. Once again DC had a hysterical reaction to a weather forecast and unnecessarily shut down in anticipation.
    A few degrees colder and this could have been another carmaggedon; even if OPM hadn't called it, i wouldn't have gone in. (My firm follows OPM. Or not, as our admin sees fit. After spending 7.5 hours getting home that last time, including two miles on foot at 11 pm in the snow, i decide for myself whether i go in or not. )

Eta storm warning cancelled for MoCo an hour ago. (And wasn't that a GREAT name for a racehorse?)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I am at work. The only difference between today and a normal weekday is that, because our office is officially closed, I am wearing jeans and there are about 10 other people here instead of a couple hundred.
    There was some snow on the grass this morning but it has all washed away. It keeps alternating between rain and wet snow that melts as soon as it hits the ground. I don't foresee that changing much. Once again DC had a hysterical reaction to a weather forecast and unnecessarily shut down in anticipation.
    DC covers a big area. I think south and west of the city itself got hit harder than you did. It's 35 degrees and still snowing sideways. We probably got a foot of snow but because of the wind it's hard to tell
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

There was plenty of time to prepare so this storm didn't bother us much. The power went out at 9am, and I don't expect it back on any time soon.

The animals are all ok with feed, hay, and water. We're ok with a big pot of soup simmering on the stove.

The only thing I'm worried about is losing fence.

From the reports, the storm has in fact hit this county pretty hard - especially the northern part of the county. All day long emergency vehicles have been going by. Perhaps urban areas had a better time of it - but rural areas generally don't fare quite as well. On the other hand, we usually have generators and urban dwellers often don't.

I think Augusta County got hit pretty hard.

If it wasn't for the wind I'd have been more amenable to playing outside. I guess it's a sign I'm getting older..... all I want is a hot cup of Ovaltine.

Hope everyone emerges unscathed.
    Last edited by JSwan; Mar. 6, 2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: forgot my Oxford comma
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    DC covers a big area. I think south and west of the city itself got hit harder than you did. It's 35 degrees and still snowing sideways. We probably got a foot of snow but because of the wind it's hard to tell
    Yup- I know. When I said DC, I meant DC not the DC metro area. None of the reports even yesterday had DC itself getting much if any snow accumulation before tonight so I think shutting everything down in DC before waiting to see what actually happened last night was our typical over-reaction to a bad forecast (a simple liberal leave would have easily accomodated those who live west of the city that actually got snow and work in DC). Happens all the time here. My view on when to close things because of snow, however, is likely distorted because I grew up in New England .
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    I am so glad I don't live "East of Dog River"!
    Isn't that a Merle Haggard song?

I can tell you that I'll be spending tomorrow picking up branches and sticks from all over the place!

Silver lining: lots of those branches have little leaf buds on them, so spring's a-comin', today's weather notwithstanding...

I had to work last night and drive home in the worst of the snow this morning. Because I had to work again tonight, I slept a good portion of the day. Then I got up brushed the truck off and went out to the barn (about 24 miles away) to check on my horse. Threw some extra hay as they had finished what they had gotten for dinner and then headed to Walmart to pickup RX's. Back home for dinner and a little nap and now at work.

The university where I work curtailed operations today, which is good because we already have about 6" on the ground and it's still snowing. The roads are a mess, and the wind gusts are fierce. We were only expected to get 1 to 3 inches if anything, and mostly rain...oops.

I'm glad I don't have to drive to the barn today. So I've been working online, cleaning the house, and am going to cook/bake for a few friends tonight. Hopefully by then the roads will be better.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!