The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So, how are you spending this snow day?

I'll be taking my camera along when I let the horses out. I don't think the coming 2 YO has ever seen this much snow.

Then I plan to spend the rest of the day watching DVD's and doing paperwork, maybe running the embroidery machine
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I just got the book, National to National: A Year on the Show Jumping Circuit based on a COTH recommendation on one of the book threads. I can't wait to get started!

Sitting in front of the fire doing my homework (or playing on COTH ) and drinking hot chocolate.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Teleworking.

Music normally bares her teeth as soon as she SEES me carrying a sheet or blanket, and wil try to bite me as I put it on.

This morning, she just ignored me as I put the rain sheet on. Even though she had been in her stall all night, she knew this was a day to accept the rain sheet.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

supershorty628 - I dealt with what you had Sunday and Monday. That... that... THING dropped about a foot of whiteshit on us. Spent yesterday digging to the barn (almost 2 hours) only to find that there was a drift against the INSIDE of the people door and had a horrible time getting in, then another almost two hours unsticking cousin and cleaning his yard, then two more on mine and still not done. If the sun doesn't come out it may not happen because everything is all the same colour - dingy grey and the snow blends to the sky making it impossible to see where you are going or have been. Another one coming tonight or tomorrow. ENOUGH winter already!!!!!!!
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I will spending it as I have the last 9 days, on the couch looking at the soft cast on my foot. Also putting the finishing touches on the rodeo/bucking bull wallpaper I'm designing for Mom's Bathroom.

Well, we wish we were getting any one kind of moisture, even in the form of snow.
    We are not complaining, still some errant drifts here and there and water puddles around from the last blizzard, too wet to do much.

Today, our winds are already sustained to 40 m/h and gusts way above.
    That will finish melting the drifts and drying us out.
    Until then, all outside, non essential work is on hold, until the tumbleweeds quit whizzing by at Mach speeds.

Those of you with winter still raging, just think about all that nice water once it melts.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I will spending it as I have the last 9 days, on the couch looking at the soft cast on my foot. Also putting the finishing touches on the rodeo/bucking bull wallpaper I'm designing for Mom's Bathroom.
    Ahhhh yess, the dreaded non weight bearing. I spent 11 weeks on my butt a few years back. It sucks.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Home:
    Shovel path to barn through 6-10" drifted snow.
    Heart Attack Snow - heavy even though it's not really wet.
    Feed & de-blanket horses who were soaked through to the skin last night, refill water buckets, pick stalls, empty wheelbarrow, cuddle barncat.

Get ready to dig path back to house as wind keeps snow drifting.....when I hear shoveling - ??!?!?
    I'd left the shovel outside the service door to the barn.
    I open that door and see the Big Guy holding the shovel, dragging it to scare the pony who is racing in circles "frightened" by the Monster Shovel.
    Wish I could teach the big horse to shovel for real.....

Work:
    What else?
    Surfing COTH
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

There's no snow where I am, just a lot of crazy wind.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

De slushed the front walk and my neighbor's walk; pushed heart attack snow off the car. Going to wait til my jeans dry and go do it all again in a few hours. Yay.

Keeping all the devices plugged in in case poopco makes good on its threat to lose power.

Stay dry and electrified, everybody...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Sooo windy here. And cold, but not cold enough to snow. We had a bit of rain. I spent this AM not at the barn because I had tutoring all morning at a local middle school.

Its hit central VA like crazy though, judging by the pics in my newsfeed. Stay warm everyone and bundle up your ponies too! I'm looking forward to some horseplay in the snow pics :-D.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

what is this...snow...of which you speak?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Got less than anyone around us. 2"
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

We got an inch and change here. Supposed to be 60 by Saturday, that means lots of mud, *sigh*.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I have been making all the kids who didn't have to go to school due to the storm shovel rain non stop since day break!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    We got an inch and change here. Supposed to be 60 by Saturday, that means lots of mud, *sigh*.
    We have a bout 2" and ice underneath. Still really cold. The injured pony is supposed to be handwalked...wandering in the aisle will have to suffice.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I am at work. The only difference between today and a normal weekday is that, because our office is officially closed, I am wearing jeans and there are about 10 other people here instead of a couple hundred.
    There was some snow on the grass this morning but it has all washed away. It keeps alternating between rain and wet snow that melts as soon as it hits the ground. I don't foresee that changing much. Once again DC had a hysterical reaction to a weather forecast and unnecessarily shut down in anticipation.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Here in central va, we have about 13 inches right now. I'm helping a friend farmsit--14 horses, a donkey, 4 dogs and a cat. Not to mention we're both having to go to our own farms to throw hay for our horses as well. Busy busy! It's gorgeous though. Trees are down everywhere and we lost power around 3am. Thank GAWD this house has and full house generator that does the barn as well!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.