The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Truck with bent frame

Long story short, I bent the frame on my Chevy 4x4 over the weekend. Its in the shop and will be ready in 2-3 weeks. But I am worried because one of the mechanics made a comment about it not being quite right even after the repairs.

So this got me wondering..is it still safe to pull a 16ft stock trailer?

Has anyone repaired a bent frame and still used the truck successfully? Or should I be out truck shopping?

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I know someone who had a business of straightening car and truck frames. He's retired now. If it's done by someone who has the equipment, and is good at using it, there should be no issues afterwards.

Hubby hit a bull with our F350 a few years ago, black bull in the road at 3 am, just over a hill. It was hit the bull or take out a telephone pole. The bull lost. Had the truck repaired and I kept complaining it was out of alignment from it. Faught the insurance company until they agreed to do an alignment. Needless to say when I took it back for repair, Ford found that the frame was off and it was "dog tracking" I believe they called it (thank goodness I complained!) Being such a big long truck it took every bit of equipment they had to repair it, but we haven't had an issue since. All tires wear evenly, no pull in truck, etc. It may depend on the type of damage done though. Since the bull was hit with the left front of the truck, it shifted the left side of the frame backwards. We pull a heavy aluminum trailer with full living quarters and a 31 foot camper as well.
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

Thank you both for the replies. This is a Chevy 2500 4x4 and the accident involved several large round bales of hay and a tractor. It was not pretty but noone was injured.
    The Chevy dealer has the truck and they swear that they can repair it but I just needed reassurance.

Way back when we had a Ford Econoline van that someone ran into the side of (because they were distracted by looking at the Vintage car in convoy). The frame ws bent, and then straightened.

If you tried REALLY hard, you could find a couple of things in the interior bodywork that didn't line up quite right. But functionally it was fine, and we used it (including pulling a trailer) for many yeears.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by anon123456 View Post
    and the accident involved several large round bales of hay and a tractor.
    I hate it when the round bails get in the road lol. This sounds like a good story.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker