The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog and cat relations...

I've decided that I need help. I have a young, about a year old, terrier mix that just can't leave the cats alone. He never does anything aggressive towards them, but he just can't seem to be at ease with them around.

We've tried the "leave it" method, but all that goes out the window once the cats move, or leave the room. He'll focus on them, and nothing else, and you can see his prey drive kicking in. This worries me, but mostly because he gets the kitties all in a tizzy. When I say he never does anything aggressive towards them, I really mean it. He'll chase them, but once he corners them he just stands there, and will continue to stand there once the cat has finally had enough and starts swatting at him. Once they swat him he'll start crying and move away, but these cats unfortunately don't have claws, so he doesn't get the message quickly enough.

We had a trainer come that instructed us to keep him on a leash and pull him away whenever he showed to much interest. This really didn't do a whole lot of good, since he can still focus on the cat while hes being moved away. Also had another trainer come out with and e-collar, which we stopped immediately because it seemed to start making him growly towards the cats, and we don't want him to turn aggressive towards them, in any way.

Hes a very insecure dog as a whole, and we've worked through almost all of his little issues, but this one has stuck and been the hardest to break. Anyone have any advice??

Default I don't have any good ideas for you but

I had a dog like that. Recently. The question for me is whom do you love more? Rehome the other one. For the sake of all involved.
    Another killer of threads

I don't necessarily think its the same situation as yours. He really only does it when hes excited, or when the cats come to us for attention. As I write this, they are both sitting on the couch content with each other. And he never really scares the cats just annoys her.

I should clarify when I say that he chases her, its more so like a run along side until she stops and gives him the leave me along glare. By then we'll call him off and he'll stop, but I want to eliminate the chase and need to call him back all together, if possible.

He's young and if he's insecure it's a fun little punch in the arm for him to get the cats to run.

I'd get a squirt gun. I'm sure there are better training methods but the squirt gun has worked for us.