The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

No worries! it's an emotional subject (as are most concerning our horses). I just felt a need to clarify some rumors going around, and did it poorly apparently. Very frustrating. All of our horses are still in great health, and enjoying the snow!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbydog View Post
    No worries! it's an emotional subject (as are most concerning our horses). I just felt a need to clarify some rumors going around, and did it poorly apparently. Very frustrating. All of our horses are still in great health, and enjoying the snow!
    Very glad to hear it!

Just read an update that three additional horses at Double W became ill on March 9. They are extending their quarantine until at least the end of the month. Apparently, still no cases outside of Double W (knocking on wood!).

Edited: THREE additional horses, not two.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbydog View Post
    One more thing! There are a few vet clinics up here touting the Pneumabort K vaccine for this, via email and FB. All the vets I know and trust say that this is just not true, that it does NOT treat the neuro strain of ehv-1. It feels like vets cashing in on this, scaring people with "extremely urgent" messages.
    I feel the need to defend the honor of equine veterinarians on this point. You are correct that no EHV-1 vaccine is labeled to prevent neurological disease and the role of vaccination in altering the course of disease is uncertain and controversial. However, it is also a fact that available EHV-1 vaccines are not all created equal with respect to control of respiratory disease. The vaccines labeled to prevent EHV-1 abortion (Pneumabort K and Prodigy) contain more virus and trigger a stronger immune response than those labeled for control of respiratory disease. So if you are going to attempt to use vaccination to prevent neurological disease on grounds that it may reduce viremia and spread of virus to the central nervous system, it makes sense to use one of the products known to elicit the strongest immunity. This is where the recommendation comes from. I sincerely doubt that any veterinarians are trying to "cash in" on an EHV scare.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by visorvet View Post
    I feel the need to defend the honor of equine veterinarians on this point. You are correct that no EHV-1 vaccine is labeled to prevent neurological disease and the role of vaccination in altering the course of disease is uncertain and controversial. However, it is also a fact that available EHV-1 vaccines are not all created equal with respect to control of respiratory disease. The vaccines labeled to prevent EHV-1 abortion (Pneumabort K and Prodigy) contain more virus and trigger a stronger immune response than those labeled for control of respiratory disease. So if you are going to attempt to use vaccination to prevent neurological disease on grounds that it may reduce viremia and spread of virus to the central nervous system, it makes sense to use one of the products known to elicit the strongest immunity. This is where the recommendation comes from. I sincerely doubt that any veterinarians are trying to "cash in" on an EHV scare.
    The modified live vaccine Rhinomune has also been shown to elicit stronger immune responses than the other killed virus vaccines on the market.

There are still shows going on - Missouri has a show this weekend, Minnesota Winona next weekend and the first weekend of April Rantoul Il. These are all arab shows but the shows are still happening. No restrictions or health requirements except your 30 day health certificate.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

It will be interesting to see if attendance at the Rantoul show is affected.

From Merritt & Associates (Posted yesterday):

"EHV-1 Update- Last night at Double W Stables another horse spiked a fever. Additionally, one of the older horses that had been febrile developed neurologic symptoms and became recumbent. That horse was euthanized. Those working at the Double W want to assure all that high biosecurity practices are in place. There have been no other reported cases at any other barns."

Quote Originally Posted by preciouspony View Post
    From Merritt & Associates (Posted yesterday):

"EHV-1 Update- Last night at Double W Stables another horse spiked a fever. Additionally, one of the older horses that had been febrile developed neurologic symptoms and became recumbent. That horse was euthanized. Those working at the Double W want to assure all that high biosecurity practices are in place. There have been no other reported cases at any other barns."
    Ugh, this is so sad. I feel terrible for all the owners of horses at Double W. They are really living every horse person's nightmare.

Hey All-

Another update from Kendall Road

"Update of 3/13 - Last night 2 more horses spiked fevers at the Double W. No new neuro cases amongst the new fevers. At this point in time roughly half of the horses at the farm have been affected."

This is terrible; I feel awful for the poor horses and their owners. Kudos for keeping it contained so far.

Jingling for everyone at that barn. So scary and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    This is terrible; I feel awful for the poor horses and their owners. Kudos for keeping it contained so far.
    Exactly. The containment speaks volumes about how responsibly they are handling this.