The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The best thing you can do to protect your horse/s is stay home and don't travel with them. Insist that anyone coming in to your barn, wears disposable booties and uses hand sanitizer. Make sure you know what biohazard procedures your vets and farrier use and where they have been before coming to you.

5 members found this post helpful.

ArabX3, I guess I would respectfully and vigoriously suggest that you keep your horses home instead of traveling to a show during a major disease outbreak. THAT is what will help prevent the spread of the disease more than anything. There is no show in the world that is worth risking the spread of this kind of disease.

7 members found this post helpful.

I guess I am just of a different opinion, but if this disease were in my area, and there were shows I was supposed to attend, my horse's health (and that of others that would be exposed to my horse following the show) would absolutely NOT be worth a ribbon or even prize money.

Stay home. The show isn't worth it. There will be more shows!!!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

5 members found this post helpful.

Would you go to any shows/HT anywhere right now?

My friend is planning to attend a starter trial on the 24th in MD (I am her "groom") but should she be concerned? Should she stay home?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

My horses are kept in Elgin, IL. So this EHV-1 outbreak is especially worrying. Both of my barns are on complete lock down, no horses in and if you must leave, you are asked to remain away for at least two weeks. We have also been asked to postpone any vet/farrier appointments for two weeks. This is very, VERY serious and not something to take ANY chances with.

Neither of my horses will be traveling ANYWHERE until we have a better idea of what is going on. My show season will probably be highly restricted, or even skipped entirely. A show is not even remotely as important as my horses health.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Well, this is freaking terrifying. I've been reading information that some of the horses from the infected barn recently attended clinics at Sunflower Farms in Bristol, WI and also Bull Run in Elburn, IL.

Does anyone know the dates of those two clinics?
    Idk about the Sunflower, but the Bull Run clinic was Feb23&24. NO BULL RUN HORSES ARE SICK OR HAVE SHOWN ANY SIGNS OF SICKNESS!!! Temps are and have been monitored for a long time, and it's business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbydog View Post
    Idk about the Sunflower, but the Bull Run clinic was Feb23&24. NO BULL RUN HORSES ARE SICK OR HAVE SHOWN ANY SIGNS OF SICKNESS!!! Temps are and have been monitored for a long time, and it's business as usual.
    I am glad to hear that no Bull Run horses are sick, but I do hope that Bull Run is observing a quarantine/lockdown (as most barns in IL and WI are doing now) for at least the next two weeks. "Business as usual" isn't a good idea in the face of this kind of outbreak.

Are you able to confirm whether or not horses from Double W attended the Bull Run clinic on Feb. 23 and 24?

1 members found this post helpful.

I would also like to point out that, according to the vets that I know, the 2 euthenized horses were older, and health/immune compromised. If your horses are utd on vaccinations, ie; flu/rhino, you are protected the best you can be. and common sense, not panic/

They did, and they are not sick. FYI, the incubation time after exposure is 4-7 days. We are well beyond that point. And by business as usual, i was referring to the health of the horses. that has not changed.
    EHV-1 is dormant in every horse, like the chicken pox/shingles. They get sick when they are compromised. Also, it likes a warm moist climate. It has been COLD and record snowfall in Chicago!

One more thing! There are a few vet clinics up here touting the Pneumabort K vaccine for this, via email and FB. All the vets I know and trust say that this is just not true, that it does NOT treat the neuro strain of ehv-1. It feels like vets cashing in on this, scaring people with "extremely urgent" messages. Also, Show Place did cancel their show at Ledges, until next week. They are also requiring all horses, even the local one, to have health certs. A great idea!If you use common sense and good horsemanship(routinely monitoring temps, for example) you should be fine.

While incubation is normally 4-7 days, there have been cases showing up long after that time period. Which is why most barns are doing a self-imposed quarantine for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Regardless of how the disease started, once it is active, it doesn't do anyone any good to suggest that we shouldn't take precautions now because the disease "can be" latent in any horse and show up at any time. It's not latent anymore. There are active cases in your area. If your barn is not taking precautions such as a two week quarantine, you are putting many others at risk.

This is particularly true for Bull Run since you admit that Double W horses attended a clinic at Bull Run on Feb. 23 and 24.

As horse people, we shop at the same places many other horse people do. I, for one, always make sure that my travel shoes are not the same as my barn shoes.

3 members found this post helpful.

You know, I was so feeling sorry for myself for being home recovering from brain surgery for the next 60 days and missing out on all the fun spring horse stuff.

Until I read all of this stuff. It's spreading. And terrifying. There is no event in the world worth rising my mare's health for. Even if I wasn't on house arrest, I wouldn't be going ANYWHERE - and that includes my trainer's for lessons. Guess I am paranoid compared to some others on this thread.

Not saying we are not taking precautions. I'm saying there is a lot of misinformation. We always have and will act in the best interests of our horses.

Not saying we are not taking precautions. I'm saying there is a lot of misinformation. We always have and will act in the best interests of our horses.
    If you or others are still letting horses come and go from your property at will, it just makes me doubly glad that my barn is doing the responsible thing and undertaking a "no horses in/no horses out" rule for at LEAST the next two weeks.

This is the text of an email from the barn manager at Sunflower. We spoke with him and they are being very proactive about this situation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Boarders and Friends,

Two horses from Double W did participate in a clinic at Sunflower Farms the week of Feb 17th, 2013. These horses did NOT exhibit any clinical symptoms of having the EVH-1 disease. They have been back at Double W for over two weeks and as of this morning still are not exhibiting any clinical signs of EVH-1.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    If you or others are still letting horses come and go from your property at will, it just makes me doubly glad that my barn is doing the responsible thing and undertaking a "no horses in/no horses out" rule for at LEAST the next two weeks.
    you are obviously NOT reading my posts correctly! NEVER said we are letting horses come and go at will!! We are keeping horses out and not traveling, it's been almost 3 weeks, 21 days being the quarantine time imposed in FLA. It would be irresponsible to move horses around at this time, but it is equally irresponsible to spread falsehoods, rumors and innuendos.

you are obviously NOT reading my posts correctly! NEVER said we are letting horses come and go at will!! We are keeping horses out and not traveling, it's been almost 3 weeks, 21 days being the quarantine time imposed in FLA. It would be irresponsible to move horses around at this time, but it is equally irresponsible to spread falsehoods, rumors and innuendos.
    I actually AM reading your posts, but you are not a very good communicator. This is in fact the first time you have said that you are keeping other horses out and are not traveling. That said, I am really glad to hear that you ARE restricting movement. Although I would note that Feb. 23-24 until March 7 is NOT almost three weeks, it is 13 days, which is less than two weeks.

I'm actually not spreading falsehoods, rumors, or innuendos. I'm asking questions and making "if/then" statements (i.e., "if" you are letting horses in and out, "then" I'm extra glad we are not). IF you are not allowing horses in and out, then I am very glad to hear it and commend you for taking the proper steps, even if you had not communicated them clearly here until now.

Kirbydog - I am sorry if I have been a bit harsh toward you on this thread. Your initial attitude towards this situation seemed rather nonchalant and dismissive, but I am glad to hear that you are restricting movement of horses on/off your property. I am also thankful that you shared information here concerning your clinic, those that attended it, and the current health status of relevant horses. I do apologize for getting heated.

Quote Originally Posted by Personal Champ View Post
    You know, I was so feeling sorry for myself for being home recovering from brain surgery for the next 60 days and missing out on all the fun spring horse stuff.

Until I read all of this stuff. It's spreading. And terrifying. There is no event in the world worth rising my mare's health for. Even if I wasn't on house arrest, I wouldn't be going ANYWHERE - and that includes my trainer's for lessons. Guess I am paranoid compared to some others on this thread.
    Just wanted to take a moment to wish you a quick recovery and healthy year!