The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default UPDATE: CONFIRMED NEUROLOGIC EHV-1 in Gurnee, IL

Have heard from two separate sources that there have been two EHV-1 deaths in Gurnee, IL recently. Can anyone confirm and provide a link to official information? I looked around a bit online and the only thing I saw was a restriction in January on horses traveling to KY from IL due to EHV-1 concerns.

Information would be greatly appreciated...horse show coming up in IL very soon.

UPDATE: This information has been confirmed by numerous sources, including:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...irmed-illinois
    Last edited by FineAlready; Mar. 7, 2013 at 02:22 PM.

Chicago Equestrian
    7 hours ago via mobile
    from Dana Marsh DVM
    Ehv
    News Update Bulletin

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Two horses were euthanized Monday after developing fevers on Friday and subsequently developing neurologic signs. They were found to be PCR positive for Herpes. Several other horses (6-7) at the same barn, Double W in Gurnee, IL, have developed fevers and neurologic signs and are under medical treatment. No other barns are affected at this time. The State Veterinarian has quarantined this barn.

Jingles for those horse owners and that barn! So scary.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would really like to know how many of these additional cases are a direct result of HITS seriously crappy management of this situation..
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

3 members found this post helpful.

Ugh. Thank you for the info. So sorry for all involved. Any way you could send me a link that I could email to my trainer? Or somewhere I can find this online other than this thread?

:-/
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

IIRC, Double W is more of a family barn than a AA show barn. So not likely that it is connected to HITS.

Well, this is freaking terrifying. I've been reading information that some of the horses from the infected barn recently attended clinics at Sunflower Farms in Bristol, WI and also Bull Run in Elburn, IL.

Does anyone know the dates of those two clinics?

I am going to a show next weekend in Missouri - I called me vet and she said to do my spring vaccines now, don't wait.

I am also in Wisconsin - this is getting to close for comfort.

Bull Run was Feb 23 and 24th - can't find one for Sun Flower Farms.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabX3 View Post
    Bull Run was Feb 23 and 24th - can't find one for Sun Flower Farms.
    Thanks. It will be a while before I feel okay about this.

It would be absolutely terrifying and heartbreaking if this outbreak reaches Sunflower. That is such a large facility with so many horses not only boarded but frequently hauling in and out for clinics/lessons... the impact that could have on wi/il area (and beyond) is very scary. This situation is already very heartbreaking for Double W, I really hope it is contained and isolated. This is hitting way too close to home.

Fine Already, I hope your horses remain healthy if there was any interaction at those clinics.

Quote Originally Posted by Senszuri View Post
    It would be absolutely terrifying and heartbreaking if this outbreak reaches Sunflower. That is such a large facility with so many horses not only boarded but frequently hauling in and out for clinics/lessons... the impact that could have on wi/il area (and beyond) is very scary. This situation is already very heartbreaking for Double W, I really hope it is contained and isolated. This is hitting way too close to home.

Fine Already, I hope your horses remain healthy if there was any interaction at those clinics.
    Thank you. My horse has not traveled recently, and travel in/out of the barn where I board has been very light (and I don't *think* there has been any link between the Double W horses and horses in my area). My (awesome!) barn is taking very proactive measures now, but obviously there was still some horse traffic in/out before the IL cases were made public.

Showplace Productions has canceled the upcoming Ledges show (this week/weekend) and has some interesting information on their website. Cudos to Showplace for canceling this show.

http://www.showplaceproductions.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ArabX3 View Post
    I am going to a show next weekend in Missouri - I called me vet and she said to do my spring vaccines now, don't wait.

I am also in Wisconsin - this is getting to close for comfort.
    I hope you understand that there is unfortunately NO vaccination that covers the neurological form of this disease...go ahead and vaccinate early, but know it will do very little to keep your horse from getting this particular strain
    Last edited by AzulBlue; Mar. 6, 2013 at 07:59 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sixpoundfarm View Post
    Chicago Equestrian
    7 hours ago via mobile
    from Dana Marsh DVM
    Ehv
    News Update Bulletin

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Two horses were euthanized Monday after developing fevers on Friday and subsequently developing neurologic signs. They were found to be PCR positive for Herpes. Several other horses (6-7) at the same barn, Double W in Gurnee, IL, have developed fevers and neurologic signs and are under medical treatment. No other barns are affected at this time. The State Veterinarian has quarantined this barn.
    Would anyone know what farriers or vets have visited this barn recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Would anyone know what farriers or vets have visited this barn recently?
    http://chicagoequestrian.com/ Chicago Equestrian has been providing up to date information directly from vets that were there. (If you have a subscription) Otherwise they are posting info on FB too.

Bristol Veterinarian Services was on site at Double W.

Dr.Johnson from Wisconsin Equine also contributed to the "facts" article I saw that was released directly from the veterinarians.

Beyond this case - I don't know who the typical farriers and/or vets (other than Bristol) are that care for the horses on a routine basis.

Quote Originally Posted by AzulBlue View Post
    I hope you understand that there is unfortunately NO vaccination that covers the neurological form of this disease...go ahead and vaccinate early, but know it will do very little to keep your horse from getting this particular strain
    My barn will be going to St. Louis on the 18th and coming back on the 31st. I am pretty unnerved right now because we are located in Antioch, IL. If they decide to go I might go and hide at a friends place for a couple of weeks after they get back.

Yes I am aware of that. I am just going to do what I can do, giving them their shots 3 weeks earlier than usually isn't going to hurt.