The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boarding costs in US

Hi, new to this forum, and to any Non australian forums in fact.

Have just been reading a bit and am really interested to find out what the most common boarding ( we call it agistment) arrangements are, and what you guys pay for it?

My horses are a home, but many of my friends agist here, so I am curious!

Anyone care to share?

Not from the USA, but would be interested to hear how much agistment costs in Oz and what you get for that? If you don't mind sharing .

Board varies wildly depending on where in the U.S. you are. What you get varies greatly as well.

In Northern Virginia horse country (close to DC), stables I knew of ranged from around $350 or so for field board to $1-2k per month (or more) at show stables.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I can't really help with this topic but do agree that it varies vastly around the country.

Just wanted to welcome a fellow Aussie ! * waves* I would say that Aussies are more do it your self type people and lot less hand holding then what happens in North America.

P.

Agree that board costs vary wildly, I think pretty much depending on how close to a major city you are. I am 100 miles north of NYC and board with an indoor routinely costs $1,000/month though can be found for $750 (an amazing bargain) or $2,000/month. I have a private barn boarding mostly retired horses and I charge $475/month for pasture board, but with a fair amount of hands on care.

In other parts of the country, pasture board (though without grain and a lot of hands on care, I believe) can be $150/month and I've read of full care/indoor being $350.

In Minnesota

Cheapest you could find is in outstate areas (away from the state capitol metropolitan area):
    Pasture board: $100-$175 (horse lives in pasture all the time, probably with a herd of other horses, gets hay, may or may not get grain, farm may or may not have an outdoor arena, and is more likely to not have an indoor arena)
    Stall board: $200-$350 (horse lives in stall, gets hay and grain twice a day, gets turned out daily, farm probably has an outdoor arena and may have an indoor area)
    Board and training: $500-$800 (horse gets stall board and is trained 3-5 days a week by a trainer, you get riding lessons, training barns are more likely to have amenities like outdoor and indoor arenas)

As you move closer to the Twin Cities metro area things get more expensive. You are also more likely to find amenities such as heated barns, lighted outdoor arenas, heated indoor arenas, etc.:
    Pasture board can run up to $250 at a nice farm.
    Stall board up to $550.
    Board and training up to $1200 at a nice farm with a trainer with a good reputation and record.

Theese are all per month.

Even across states, prices can vary. Though in Fl, prices are usually high. I keep my horse out in High Springs during the school year, I go to college in Gainesville, and prices really vary out here from $300-1000+. I pay 400, but buy my own hay. That price includes use of the stall and grounds, stall cleaning, feeding, turnout, and general care, including blanketing and putting boots on for turnout. And its with a relatively new barn in the area, so they don't have much of a reputation yet.

When I move my horse home for the summers, home being West Palm, specifically the Wellington area, board can go from $800 (a steal) all the way up to $2,000. I normally work a lot of my board off in the summer, just to make it more reasonable.

I'm in SW Pennsylvania. In rural areas you can get stall board with access to an indoor for ~$600 or less. In more suburban areas closer to Pittsburgh it's closer to $1,000, if not more than. However, such facilities are typically much nicer and have more amenities than the rural-ish places.

I'm in Arizona and Florida, and although pricing is similar, what constitutes full care varies. In Arizona, I'm paying $350/month per horse for pasture board supplemented with hay. Full care at a top facility -- which includes mucking out, and feeding hay but does not include turn out or grain (you purchase your own, and place it in baggies for a feeder to drop in the bucket) -- costs $750 /mo per horse. You do have to add grain costs, and turnout costs onto that, so each month board usually ends up being $1000. In south Florida I'm paying $700 / month at a top facility where it's truly all inclusive. They take care of absolutely everything, including the horses' laundry, picking up supplements at the feed store ... everything. However, I do pay the groom extra if I need something big done -- like body clipping. However, that additional payment isn't required; that's just my preference

i can only speak for my own situation. At my Trail riding barn- we have an Arena and a round pen, but most of us just ride the trails in the state park next to us. I pay $260 for Pasture turnout with a shelter. 24/7 good hay, and i provide ration balancer. Stalls at my barn are $325 but The horses do not get a lot of hay in stalls. About 3 flakes per night. horses in the pastures just have huge bales in covered feeders, so pasture horses at my barn get more access to hay. i am in Eastern Pa

I'm in PA, I charge $275 field board & $375 for a stall, although even the people with a stall leave their horses out 24/7. But they have a stall to use if they want one. I feed limitless hay, but I believe in the saying "take what you want, but eat what you take". If the boarders are wasting hay I will say something. I have an indoor and an outdoor. We live in a pretty rural place so the board is low, close to the city it would be much much higher.

I'm in the NYC suburbs and prices are similar to Wellington in season - $1000 is a real bargain, probably no amenities and a very small place. Most places are $2000 ranging up as high as $3500 (although that often includes some training).

Two hours in either direction (not towards the city) and you can get something pretty decent closer to $750.

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Agree that board costs vary wildly, I think pretty much depending on how close to a major city you are. I am 100 miles north of NYC and board with an indoor routinely costs $1,000/month though can be found for $750 (an amazing bargain) or $2,000/month. .
    I agree with this. With the cost of hay, shavings and property taxes a place with a nice indoor starts close to $1,000.

I charge $950 at my barn for year round boarders and $1,250 for winter only boarders. I've had MANY horse owners from Dutchess County tell us we are an amazing bargain for that cost for how nice our facilities are.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I'm in the NYC suburbs and prices are similar to Wellington in season - $1000 is a real bargain, probably no amenities and a very small place. Most places are $2000 ranging up as high as $3500 (although that often includes some training).
    Interesting to read this.... We have 14' X 14' stalls and a 100' by 200' well footed arena and a 200' by 300' outdoor that is also very well footed and maintained and offer individual turn out on over 100 acres with 4 and 5 board fence. I think you've convinced me we ARE giving the place away with our low rates.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post

Two hours in either direction (not towards the city) and you can get something pretty decent closer to $750.
    The Poconos is only 90 minutes from NYC and the most expensive farms here are about $450. Just an FYI

Wow! Thanks for the really comprehensive replies. I can see that it varies enormously, depending on where you are located, how close to a city and what sort of board.

To compare. I am in Perth, Western Australia, and my friend agists near to me. We are about 30mins from the CBD. She pays $170 ( AUD) per week for stable at nightfall turnout during day in private green paddock, use of a double arena (outdoor), and a separate jumping arena. Her horses don't get as much hay as she would like, and she pays extra for special pellets etc. a full showing stable not far away charge about $250 including a much higher keel of care, under lights etc.

I am very very lucky that we have our own small place, I don't think I could even afford one horse in the states!

California Bay Area – board ranges from about $350 a month for “rough board” (some hay, and a space, you clean etc) to $1,500 for full care (feeding cleaning blanketing turnout) at a nice facility.

Pin- i am also not sure the ratio of AUD to USA dollars. what you pay may be equal to or more than what we pay if you consider the cost of living vs what you get paid.

1 members found this post helpful.

Boston, MA. Another expensive city!

For board within an hour's drive of the city:

Full-service board in a stall w/indoor ... the lowest I know of is $600 but that's not a good place. I would say $900-$1000 is average and the highest I know of is $1400 -- but that is for a nice place a bit closer to the city. "Training board" where you have a package where the horse is getting ridden by a trainer and you get lessons is typically 50-100% more. I pay $940 for full board, though $150 of this is applied toward lessons with one of the trainers (which are $60/hour for a prepaid private lesson, or $75 pay-as-you-go) or you get a weekly ~30 to 45 minute private lesson with the BO.

Full board without an indoor and with a stall starts around $500 -- again at the lower ranges, quality may suffer. Average is probably around $650. Barns without indoors tend to have fewer amenities.

Pasture board is nearly impossible to find and might start around $300, depending on what other amenities the barn has.

"Backyard barns" -- usually renting a stall or paddock space from someone who has their horses at home -- is less expensive.

All of these rates can be reduced by doing some or all of the care yourself, buying your own hay/grain/shavings etc. but in the latter case you won't save a lot of money; barn owners buy more at a time and usually get a bulk discount.

If you go into New Hampshire, board prices typically go down by 10-25%, and more as you get into the rural areas. It is less expensive to run a barn up there. Western MA prices where you are say an hour and a half or more from Boston are about the same as southern New Hampshire.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Agree about the fluctuating value of the Oz dollar. Things in the US that a few years ago I would have said "wow thats expensive!" now suddenly seem affordable. So much so I now do most of my tack shopping overseas.