The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ulcer treatments

I've read some of the gastrogard/ulcergard threads. I am quite confused. So gastrogard and ulcergard are the same product, with the same amount of omeprazole. They just have different dosing syringes. So why does gastrogard require a vet prescription, and ulcergard does not? And why are these products so expensive?

On a related note, is Succeed an ulcer treatment, or preventative? Does it work?

My normally sweet mare is so crabby - pinning her ears at the blanket and girthing, even kicking at the girth; and resistant under saddle. When I am leading her she also often stops to bite at her sides -- just itchy all the time? Or are these ulcer symptoms? Should I get her scoped? Or just try some Ulcergard?

I use Succeed when my gelding shows signs of ulcers. It also treats the hind gut. I don't scope...

Her symptoms could be ulcers. She's not colicky is she?
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Ibuprofen 200mg is available OTC but the 800mg size is Rx only. That is the FDA trying to keep things safe, with obvious loopholes.

Succeed enjoys wild popularity but is not for gastric ulcers and reeks of snake oul to me.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Gastroguard and Ulcerguard are the same ingredient...same concentration too...also very expensive usually around $30-40/tube ....I started a new Ottb mare on the Canadian Omeprazole from www.horseprerace.com at $7.95/tube you just can't beat that price...along with Succeed for the past 30 days....she's now a Hoover and licks her bowl clean, and eats with gusto now!

1 members found this post helpful.

Succeed is for hind gut ulcers and works very well for them.

You can do two weeks of Ulcerguard for less than it costs to have a horse scoped, so if I suspected ulcers, that's what I'd do. If you notice a change in behavior, then go ahead and finish the full month. If not, you are out less $$ than scoping and didn't hurt anything, so you can move on.

I don't buy all the Succeed hype either. It is extremely expensive for what it is. I know one person who thought it helped her horse, one other who it did absolutely nothing for. I might would try it if I was running out of options for a horse, but certainly not for a first step.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

My mare is not colicky and has a good appetite. The grumpiness etc. mentioned in my original post are the only signs I have to go on. If I try the UlcerGard, what time of day should it be given? Since it suppresses digestive acid, it seems like maybe it should be given between feedings, and not near feeding time?

When I am treating for ulcers I give the Uguard before breakfast. I think provided they get it the same time everyday you're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralwork View Post
    So why does gastrogard require a vet prescription, and ulcergard does not?
    Because the full tube/day of GG is what is FDA-approved for treatment of ulcers, and that often comes with needing a script.

UG is "only" labeled for prevention at 1/4 tube/day (give or take), no FDA approval needed, so can be otc

And why are these products so expensive?
    Part of it is the R&D that went into it, as well as the cost of getting FDA approval

Or are these ulcer symptoms? Should I get her scoped? Or just try some Ulcergard?
    Could be ulcer symptoms - could be blanket shocking her or making her sore, or a rib out of place or saddle fit isn't right or hind end issues or mare troubles or or or You can do a cheaper, but more time consuming test with ranitidine, 3mb/lb every 8 hours for 3-7 days and see if things improve. Then decide what to do for a treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralwork View Post
    Since it suppresses digestive acid, it seems like maybe it should be given between feedings, and not near feeding time?
    It's given one time a day because it reduces (not suppresses) stomach acid for 24 hours, so it doesn't matter when you give it in relation to feeding, only that you give it as close to the same time every day

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
    Gastroguard and Ulcerguard are the same ingredient...same concentration too...also very expensive usually around $30-40/tube ....I started a new Ottb mare on the Canadian Omeprazole from www.horseprerace.com at $7.95/tube you just can't beat that price...along with Succeed for the past 30 days....she's now a Hoover and licks her bowl clean, and eats with gusto now!
    Whoa!! "Canadian Omeprazole" - same size syringe - for 8 bux a tube? Versus UG or GG at 35 to 40 bux? Anybody know what allows the Canadian version to be SO much cheaper? Different paste carrier? Any data on actual bio-availability?

That's an amazing price if it is really comparable to the UG or GG...
    Fox Wood Farm

You have to read the labels carefully. For one thing, I think HorsePreRace sells some VERY fishy products. Other products have very flaky fine print making you think there is more actual drug in there than it seems. Also omeprazole MUST be protected somehow from stomach acid so if it's not enterically coated or buffered it is essentially useless.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    You have to read the labels carefully. For one thing, I think HorsePreRace sells some VERY fishy products. Other products have very flaky fine print making you think there is more actual drug in there than it seems. Also omeprazole MUST be protected somehow from stomach acid so if it's not enterically coated or buffered it is essentially useless.
    Thanks for the input. One reason I asked is that the horseprerace website does not give a copy of the label and the picture of the tube is too small to read. It does say that one tube is 2.28 g omeprazole. But nothing else to compare for buffering..... Sounds like the proverbial " too good to be true..."
    Fox Wood Farm

If your horse can eat pills and will be able to eat them 3 times a day, ranitidine is a much cheaper way to help with ulcers. My horse has been on them for 3 weeks and I have seen an improvement.

He will eat his food now, no more pacing and less "pissy" when I am riding.

Ranitidine lowers the production of acid in stomach for up to 8 hours. That's why it needs to be fed 3 times a day.

Ulcer gard actually blocks the acid production.

That makes me a little nervous just because I don't think horses are meant to have no acid production, especially for prolonged times.

I can see where it might be good at times of stress with high acid issues, but not long term.

So that's why I started with the more mild (IMO) ranitidine!

His coat has become beautiful in just 3 weeks! I always wondered because he gets such good quality food, but now I can see that the ulcers could have been the culprit!

If you can get your vet to provide the script, the omeprazole/ranitadine paste from Precision Pharmacy works great. My vet has done the due diligence of scoping to confirm ulcers, treating with the paste for 30 days, and scoping to see complete healing.

It's about $250/month or $8.33 a day.

2 members found this post helpful.

Canadian drugs are cheaper because of their health care system. I don't remember all the details, but basically the Canadian government can regulate the rates that manufacturers charge for drugs. Because actual manufacture costs are so low, the drug companies still make a nice profit. As long as it is legal I wouldn't hesitate to buy drugs from Canada. I know there are some restrictions on importing drugs, but I have absolutely no idea what they are or if they apply to drugs for animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Wood Farm View Post
    Thanks for the input. One reason I asked is that the horseprerace website does not give a copy of the label and the picture of the tube is too small to read. It does say that one tube is 2.28 g omeprazole. But nothing else to compare for buffering..... Sounds like the proverbial " too good to be true..."
    Foxwood - I tried using the canadian to treat once instead of GG as an experiment. I figured either I was wasting $400 or saving $600, but I had to try once and see if I could save money when he had an ulcer flare. My results were disappointing. He definitely got better than when he was on nothing, but he didn't resolve after a month so I switch to GG and he did resolve. So, I decided to not use it again.

What is her diet? How much hay is she getting? Feed?

I for one have had very good luck with generic omeprazole from raceprerace. What is patented is the delivery system to get the omeprazole through the hind gut. Ulcergard and Gastrogard have different patents but there are many, many ways to skin that cat. I think it is worth trying it. The difference in cost is about $500 for a treatment. There is a place in this world for generics, and many of these very common drugs, when the patent expires on the human medicines, they move it over to the veterinary world to get an extra window of big profits. KNowing that Canada has good quality controls in human and veterinary medicine gives me confidence. IN fact, I just ordered generic omeprazole from Canada for this season.

I have used canandian omeprazole on my mare this winter. It took 3 weeks to see a difference. I did have to keep her on a full tube for 3 months. Every time I cut the dose in half she started picking at her food. This month I started her on RiteTrac and will cut the dose in half. Hoping she will be fine.
    The omeprazole is on sale for $6.95 @ horseprerace. They do ship fast 3-5 days