The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good Barn Building Companies in Eastern PA?

DH and I are planning on buying a small farm and being able to have horses at home. There is one property that we are very interested in, but we'd have to build a barn on it. I did a brief google search and WOW... there are SO. MANY. COMPANIES out there that build barns! How to choose??

Those of you who have had a barn built, who built it for you? Likes/dislikes? Cost? Things to consider? Things or companies to stay away from? We're looking at building a small aisle barn, probably 4 stalls, with a tack/grain room and a loft for hay storage. Nothing fancy!

Thanks
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

You want a real barn that looks like a barn?
    Ask your real estate agent if that will improve your land and be an asset or a liability in that area's real estate.

If a horse barn is not that good an idea, think about putting up an all purpose metal barn, then add portable stalls to it.
    That may save you up to a good 1/2 a year in taxes alone.

You can make that building as "pretty" as you wish and many such look like a small cottage.
    You can have overhangs and stalls opening to runs and pastures, all just like a single purpose framed barn structure, that would be difficult for the next owner to remodel for other purposes, shop, garage, etc.

Just more to consider.

I am actually a licensed agent myself, and the area is VERY horsey, so no worries having it look like a horse barn.

PONY'TUDE

I wish I could remember the name of the company who did our barn. I know that they were either Amish or Menonite and they did a very good job (maybe it was Groffdale barns but I'm not positive). The one issue I had was that the workers did not acknowledge women and my husband wasn't home so it was awkward when I had to tell them something. I would have to wait a long time just to get their attention.

If you are also looking at doing fencing, we just had Cenflex installed a few years back by J-Mar fencing and they were awesome.

Both my websites below show the fencing and barn set up. We had the shell of the barn built and did the stalls ourselves. We bought the grillwork and interior stall doors from Woodstar.

Do a tour of the area and take note of barns you like. Stop by and introduce yourself when the opportunity allows and ask them if they like their barn and if so, who was the building. You might get a good reference to a worthy local contractor that way.

1 members found this post helpful.

Stable Hollow Construction, Manheim, PA

They are Amish, dependable and do quality work.

http://www.stablehollowconstruction.com

Try http://www.lappstructures.com/
    They custom built my barn and it's beautiful. The builders are Amish and the craftsmanship is wonderful.
    Great customer service and attention to details. Try them, you won't be disappointed.
    They are located in New Holland and will allow you to see how the barns are made.

We had Garages N More build ours. I am so happy.
    We had a fairly complex build, 3 stories, bank barn with suspended concrete, 6 car garage, loft above, with a mechanics shop and horse barn below. We are completely satisfied.
    http://garages-n-more.com/residential-gallery/

Ours is the 12th from the bottom. The cedar sided 3 story building.

Wow thanks for all the leads! Great companies for us to research out.

PONY'TUDE

Lots and lots of barn builders in that area - very competitive and most do great work. Definitely drive around a look at what's there!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

White Horse Construction (amish-Sim Stoltzfus)
    Lanchester Builders (amish)
    B & D Builders (amish/english)
    I've used White Horse and have seen work done by B &D and Lanchester. I'd use any of the 3. B & D built Unionville Equine's new facility and also much of Riveredge (Hassler's)

My barn was built by Shirk Pole Barns (I dealt with a local company who I guess "reps" for Shirk) and had a great experience. http://www.shirkpolebuildings.com/

I don't have a particularly fancy barn (36x40, with run in on one end and a small tack room), but I had some specific design things that I wanted, and Shirk didn't have any trouble doing what I wanted. The build itself was done in under a week!

I didn't use them for stalls, though - they didn't have what I wanted, so I just had a local person do fronts for me afterwards with the left over tongue in groove.

Just posted in Veronica's thread. Call Bridlewood Builders. Terry is an awesome horsewoman and I know she'd love to build a nice barn for someone.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.