The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying and keeping broodmares in Europe?

I know some US breeders actually own and keep some mares in Europe. Anyone know how such a deal might work? What are broodmare board and other expenses like in Europe? Is this actually common? Or very uncommon? How does one go about establishing the connections "over there" in order to make such an arrangement?
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

1 members found this post helpful.

I almost did this last year but decided to not take on the extra responsibility of another horse to care for. Many of the large and mid-range size breeders do keep mares in Europe...IMO for the following possible reasons: to have access to some stallions we can't get, to raise possible stallion prospects and to increase the value of their breeding programs as they have a better chance of getting their top offspring into the hands of good riders/ competitors.

I was able to network some possible places to keep broodmares and young stock by attending the Hannoveraner breed courses. I found the cost of board to be comparable to my area around $200-300/ month as well as farrier, vet, etc to be similar to what i pay here. Starting a young horse under saddle was much easier over there as they have access to so many young horse trainers.

If you breed Hanoverians I wound contact the Verband and they are MORE than helpful in organizing things. They will be able to give you a list of farms that can do broodmare board and foal raising. Also, some of the farms will do all the AI breeding for you at super reasonable prices. PM me if you want a list of farms we visited that do this.

What concerned me was not being able to handle my own horse and if something went wrong having no hands on control. I am sure some breeders here will chime in on their experiences keeping horses overseas.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

First you need the right connections.

Second, cost is very minimal and advantages are great. Having a great broodmares with the right people, and having access to a huge stallion base is great. You can always get a great mare, breed her to a great stallion and import her when in foal....or not. Depends on your financials.

If you choose to keep the there, make sure they are with the right people. Not always so easy to find, but when you do, it is very rewarding especially on the wallet.

Cheers
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

2 members found this post helpful.

Over the years, I have helped several US and Canadian-based breeders do that - either lease or buy mares in Germany and keep them there for breeding, inspections, performance testing. So far, it has been working out very well. True, if you like the personal contact with your horse, this model is not for you. But from what I have seen so far, thoese breeders really enjoy coming over for the foaling of a new family member, or the inspections, or performance tests etc. We meet twice a year for big "international" parties where a number of remote owners get together. It's a wonderful experience on so many levels apart from horses.

The key is to have one totally and completely trustworthy farm and boarding situation where veteritary care, personal communication, and the huge responsibility of foaling out mares is in trustworthy hands. I count myself very lucky to have found a place like this (don't own it, don't run it :-). And what began as a one-time favor for a friend is now a great gathering of people from all over the world, and has expanded into standing "remotley owned" stallions at stud.
    It can work out very well for all involved, the key is to keep it small and simple and you won't be disappointed.
    And btw, it can also go the other way - there have been inquiries now from two German breeders for US-based mares for an eventing program.

Im in England, not the US, BUT...

We have two broodmares that were last owned by an American and were kept in Ireland. I obviously don't know the particulars as to how much the last owner paid but I think the mares were on grass livery which won't have been much at all. This was at a large stud.

We have one of the mares here in England with us now, but the other is still on livery in Ireland. The cost is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Maren View Post
    Over the years, I have helped several US and Canadian-based breeders do that - either lease or buy mares in Germany and keep them there for breeding, inspections, performance testing. So far, it has been working out very well. True, if you like the personal contact with your horse, this model is not for you. But from what I have seen so far, thoese breeders really enjoy coming over for the foaling of a new family member, or the inspections, or performance tests etc. We meet twice a year for big "international" parties where a number of remote owners get together. It's a wonderful experience on so many levels apart from horses.

The key is to have one totally and completely trustworthy farm and boarding situation where veteritary care, personal communication, and the huge responsibility of foaling out mares is in trustworthy hands. I count myself very lucky to have found a place like this (don't own it, don't run it :-). And what began as a one-time favor for a friend is now a great gathering of people from all over the world, and has expanded into standing "remotley owned" stallions at stud.
    It can work out very well for all involved, the key is to keep it small and simple and you won't be disappointed.
    And btw, it can also go the other way - there have been inquiries now from two German breeders for US-based mares for an eventing program.
    Maren, this is a fantastic situation. Thanks for posting.

Does anyone have any experience with keeping a broodmare in the Netherlands? If this were something I were ever to actually pursue, that is where I'd be doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperionStudLLC View Post
    First you need the right connections.

Second, cost is very minimal and advantages are great. Having a great broodmares with the right people, and having access to a huge stallion base is great. You can always get a great mare, breed her to a great stallion and import her when in foal....or not. Depends on your financials.

If you choose to keep the there, make sure they are with the right people. Not always so easy to find, but when you do, it is very rewarding especially on the wallet.

Cheers
    This is exactly what I was thinking! Thanks.

You got a PM

I'm in the midst of this right now. I want to avail myself of what is over there and so far am very happy with my connections and critters
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

I have done it on several occasions in the past and was very happy with the results. The overall cost was much cheaper and the easy access to to the available stallions is incredible. I would not hesitate to do it again.

Netherlands, no. Belgium and Germany, yes. Personally, I find Belgium much more accommodating and communicative.

PM me if you ever want to combine a pallet to LAX.

Netherlands, no. Belgium and Germany, yes. Personally, I find Belgium much more accommodating and communicative.

Been doing it in Germany for years. No problems whatsoever. But as mentioned previously , you have to have the right connections.

I have mares and their offspring in Holland and for most of the reasons previously mentioned. There is a large selections of stallions, and it is more cost effective for me in regards to mare care and then the raising, starting and intial showing of the youngsters. Plus the mares and foals to get avoid the Canadian winters and I get to take a few vacations every year.
    Last edited by mikali; Mar. 7, 2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: clarity
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by mareslave View Post
    Which leads to another question. Is there any discount at all in importing multiple horses at one time? Or, do they ever allow weanlings to share a box for importation?

Quote Originally Posted by jdeboer01 View Post
    Which leads to another question. Is there any discount at all in importing multiple horses at one time? Or, do they ever allow weanlings to share a box for importation?
    yes and yes.

A friend of mine, also posting on this board, runs a farm that does exactly the same as Maren describes.
    She has had various US based breeders as clients. Some just board and have the horses inseminated until imported, some have horses over there for a longer time, some have mares here, some buy a foal raise it and have it started. All different models one can imagine are being met. And she is a vet and does all insemination work including frozen semen herself (Frozen is not that common in Germany...)
    Over the years I have met quit a few people on her farm - also some posting here ! Always fun !
    And yes even looking from the german perspective: You have to get to know people you can fully trust. And who know their business.
    But that is always the case if you can not have them at home, even if you can check mare often if it is closer. But if I would have the feeling I need to check on the facility/farm no matter if only 10 or thousands of miles away that would not be the right place to keep my horses anyways !
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

2 members found this post helpful.

I just would like to chime in to say that this is a really helpful and interesting thread!

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians

ugh, I have many horses in Germany (not saying any numbers lol) for the past 10 years and have been extemey happy. I do also think Germany is much better choice than holland. Holland is smaller, less horse space in general and more expensive.

I like the knowledge and also go to the inspections ect whenever possible.

I can also give you some good people, just PM me
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

I know quite a few people who keep mares in Germany - some breed only in Germany, while others also have breeding programs here. They like the greater access to stallions there, and the close proximity to the Verbands, the good horsekeepers, good trainers, etc. And, as mentioned, it can be quite cost effective, esp. for those without their own farms. But the key is definitely in selecting the right people to keep your horses, and in staying in regular touch with them. There are people on this thread who can provide names of well respected mare and foal keepers, and the Verbands can also provide information. I would suggest, though, you make sure their English skills are pretty good (unless of course your German is good!).

I came very close to buying a mare in Denmark last year, and was planning to keep her there for a while to have easier access to Danish and German stallions, but language difficulties complicated the matter as the people I was dealing with didn't have much English. I ended up backing out due to some health issues on my end, but the language barrier was certainly a big concern.