The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ANOTHER which barn...

It seems like we just got settled, and now we've picked up and moved again. Somebody equated finding a boarding place to daycare... Anyways... I have 2 horses that I'm looking for a place for. I had all my bases covered, shipper scheduled for Saturday, deposits in place, and then the woman in charge said that they needed proof of a Strangles vac... which neither of my girls have and I don't want to give it a few days before a cross country ship.

The horses... Willow (17.1 hand Danish Warmblood...hot and can be worse in the wrong situation. Ideally would like 24/7 turnout for her) and Happy (16.3 hand OTTB mare whose literally fresh off the track, as in still at the racing stable until the shipper picks her up on Sat...never been turned out before in her life!)

My options...

#1... Most pricey facility for stall board. Owner will let me work off one stall, but that still makes it the most expensive, still do-able though. HUGE turnout, but no shelters, which will make me insist on stall boarding for when the weather is bad or if it's too hot. Owner is VERY eager to have me there and has called me... a lot. Horses there looked to be in good shape with good weight on them. Outdoor that is all clay, and looked a bit slippery. Close... about 5 min.

#2... My favorite, but he only has a spot for one horse. Spent a good deal of time learning about Willow, her quirks, etc. Middle of the road cost wise. Has 8 stalls in case of bad weather, first some first serve. Has a great instructor on sight, as well as lesson horses. Willing to let me bring in my own trainer if needed. Good outdoor. About 30 min away.

#3... On post, which was my original plan. Self care, adequate facilities, 50x50 dirt lots with shelters and then 3/4 acre pastures for day t/o. Literally 2 minutes from my house. They need proof of strangles vac. before horses get off the trailer, which neither have and I don't want to give before Sat. Not an option to quarantine horses until they get vac.

#4... Amazing looking H/J facility. Going to see it tomorrow. Pretty pricey to have 2, but if we eat noodles we can do it. Indoor, outdoor, hunt field, etc. Owner seems amazing and on top of everything. Again, far at 30+ min (per Mapquest) so there is the gas factor as well.

I got some really great recommendations from fellow COTHers, but they are all a bit far away....30 min +. I'd like to keep them close, at least for the first few months.

I really want to keep the girls together, at least for a bit, so I'm not torn two different directions making sure they both settle in well. I DID have all my ducks in a row before making the decision to purchase the second one and then they threw out the strangles thing. It wasn't even on the intake paperwork!

I'm not sure how comfortable I am just throwing the OTTB out (she's never seen t/o before) or I'd keep her at place #1 until she got her vac... then move her on post with me. I'd really want Willow to go to place #2 since they have a trainer on site... but he only has room for one!

I'm sorry if I sound like a crazy lunatic... this went from I have it all planned to where's the fruitbat, they are coming in just a few days and now have no home. WE aren't even moved into our new place yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Maybe move Willow to the place with only room for one, and move the TB to another place. Between the two, you can make a decision. if you like the first place, get your other horse on the waiting list.

Wait just a minute - the OTTB probably grew up outside for the better part of the day if not all day until she was a yearling and sometimes longer, so she's seen t/o before, it's just been a while.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

^Do you think that she'd be alright in t/o right away? She was a pretty mellow lady inside, but I know that that can change. Her owner said she had no clue how she would do in t/o since she didn't think she'd ever been out. I don't need anybody hurting themselves!
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

1 members found this post helpful.

I would go for #4, it sounds like a good place to retrain an OTTB. As to turnout, it depends on your mare really, I've known some tbs that were great with it and some that weren't. Of course I used to own a quarter horse cross that thought turnout was pointless if there wasn't any grass.

Good luck with your decision, it's nice that you have so many barns to choose from!

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

Default OTTB Turnout

When I turn out horses off the track for the first time I use my indoor arena. If you don't have an indoor then be sure the fences are sturdy and safe. Wooden fences with four boards or horse fence with a top rail are the best. I frequently will tranquilize first time out as well as walk the fences with the horse. It seems like if I can get through the first half hour without injury they will be ok.
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

Well, we turned out a filly once and she lapped the field like ten times, tail up and blowing, but she was also having a strong heat cycle and she was getting turned out way away from the boyz.
    Really you are in the same situation as anyone bringing a new horse to a new place - is she going to be with a buddy or is there going to be a whole new pecking order that needs to be established and how is that going to be dealt with, will she be alone but next to someone she knows, get a chance to know other horses across the fence and then have lots of room to get away at feeding time when she moves into the herd.?

Yes, I understand your concern but I think the social aspects are the more important portion, she should be alone for at least a little while. Tossing her out in a ten acre field with ten other horses might work if they feed far far apart, we always make +1 hay piles to horses but not everybody does that. You are sort of choosing between her galloping around and slipping and falling disastrously vs a disastrous badly placed kick.

I would try it out as you have planned. It is hard to have your plans messed up in that way, that's for sure.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

#1... Most pricey facility for stall board. Owner will let me work off one stall, but that still makes it the most expensive, still do-able though. HUGE turnout, but no shelters, which will make me insist on stall boarding for when the weather is bad or if it's too hot. Owner is VERY eager to have me there and has called me... a lot. Horses there looked to be in good shape with good weight on them. Outdoor that is all clay, and looked a bit slippery. Close... about 5 min.
    Would he let you put up a shelter (either portable that you can later take with, or permanent that you leave behind) so that you can do 1 pasture board + work off 1 stall board?
    Right now I drive a bridge & a tunnel so that 30 min barn commute can be 30 min, or 60 min
    A 5 min commute works much better with family & allows you to check on the horses whenever.

Have you checked with local vets re a quarantine while a strangles pcr is run or vaccine?

Oh that so sucks to have your plans change like that! If I read your priorities right, you like #2 but want your girls to stay together. I guess that takes #2 out. I like the sound of #4,but I agree that gas and time can be a factor, and can really add up fast. And the way that vet bills can add up, I know I hate to add more factors on, no matter how lovely. I guess I'd probably go for #1 for a short term lease, and see if you can get #2 to wait list you. Or go for #1, do the strangles vac, then go to #3.

I agree that #4 sounds like the best, but I hate commuting. I was about 30 min from my horses in ABQ, not horrible but not right around the corner either. also, if you are eating noodles to make the board, it doesn't leave much in case of vet emergencies. But, glad you will have your girls and hope your move goes well!!!

Quite honestly, I'd get the vet out tomorrow (Weds) and have them give the two the strangles vaccine. (Although it sounds like they are in separate spots.) Or consider asking the barn if they'll accept a vet's note that the horses are completely healthy....I assume they will have a Health Cert anyway, but maybe an extra note will help. But if it's done Weds that will be plenty of time to notice anything amiss before Sat, and most horses handle it 100% fine.

I understand your concerns about doing it so soon before the stress of shipping, but all of the other three barns have some major cons....the biggest being they're all quite a drive; that hour commute will suck up more of your free time than you think.

Also, re: the racehorse "never being turned out in her life!", I call a bunch of BS on that. You think she was born and raised in a stall with her mama, weaned by being put into a different stall, and then raised in a stall until two before being sent to the track, and then being sent to winter in a stall? Of course not, that's just silly! She was probably outside MOST of her early years, and there's a 99% chance she's been out over off-seasons too. Of course she'll run and buck and fart, just like ANY new horse in ANY place. No need for tranqs though, although walking the fence line can be a good idea.

Thanks everybody!

I think that I am going to go with #2 for the time being, even if it's just to get everybody settled, used to t/o and grass, and back into work. I can always move them if I don't like it, but I agree that it'll be easier to check on them if they are only 5 minutes away. Not having shelter is a huge thing, and she will not allow me to put up anything, but I think that if I can have them in a stall it will be fine.

This is my first huge move with horses and it's so nerve wracking! I'm on the waiting list for my favorite barn, and hoping that something comes open. If not I can move Willow there after a month or so and get Happy her strangles to move on post with me. I just didn't want to be torn during the first big settling in for them.

As for the no t/o thing. I have a tendency to agree with Gallop, the woman that I got Happy from is pretty busy so I'm just going to assume it slipped her mind. She's a wonderful woman and has been uber helpful for me getting everything co-ordinated. Willow is still in VT and Happy is in PA!

I called my vet, and they aren't able to get out until Fri at the earliest. Just for Willow that's cutting it a bit close, hot-house flower that she is.

Sticky situation. Good luck with the move, update us once it's done and everyone is semi-settled! I love the names Willow and Happy.

one thing to do if you turn out the TB- Walk him on a lead line all around the fence line, so he can see exactly where the fence is. Unless it is a very obvious wooden fence, then it's probably just fine.