The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yet another saddle thread

I suppose I shouldn't be terribly surprised that the OTTB I picked up last summer has gained enough fat and muscle that my jumping saddle doesn't fit her--that is just my luck! I reached out to the local master saddler and she is no longer doing fittings, so I'm flying a bit blind. Any input would be appreciated.

The saddle that does not fit is a 32 cm Stubben Roxanne. It *looks* good on the horse, but when I pull it off, there are dry spots under the points, so I think I just need something a little wider.

I have a long femur, so need room for that. Don't have a ton to spend--$1000 or less? 17.5" seat.

Going to try my Niedersuss on her today and see how that works out. Hopefully better than the Stubben!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

A 32 in a Stubben is a wide tree. I used a 29 Roxane S on my old guy (full TB) and then sold it to a foxhunter who also rode a full TB. I think for most TBs 28-30 would be the normal range.

I bought my Roxane new, and at the beginning it wasn't quite right for the horse. I really think they may be designed more for WBs than TBs. Anyhow, the Stubben people restuffed it for me at the outset, and I had no more trouble. The piece of sheet that was used for diagnosis came up with even sweat after the re-stuff. The foxhunter rode in it for about five years and then had it restuffed. My re-stuffed saddle fitted his OTTB perfectly at the time of the sale.

Have you tried riding with nothing but a piece of sheet between you and the horse? The sweat marks will tell you a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I suppose I shouldn't be terribly surprised that the OTTB I picked up last summer has gained enough fat and muscle that my jumping saddle doesn't fit her--that is just my luck! I reached out to the local master saddler and she is no longer doing fittings, so I'm flying a bit blind. Any input would be appreciated.

The saddle that does not fit is a 32 cm Stubben Roxanne. It *looks* good on the horse, but when I pull it off, there are dry spots under the points, so I think I just need something a little wider.

I have a long femur, so need room for that. Don't have a ton to spend--$1000 or less? 17.5" seat.

Going to try my Niedersuss on her today and see how that works out. Hopefully better than the Stubben!
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I bought the 32 cm Roxanne at the suggestion of our local master saddler (actual certified, trained in the UK, Master Saddler) for Blush, and she liked the fit for her. Dove is pretty beefy, so I suppose I'm not terribly surprised I need something wider.

I rode in my Niedersuss dressage saddle today and had the same dry marks. I took pictures:

Left Side

Right Side

Another Right Side

More obvious on the left, partially due to the light.

And while I'm usually pretty confident bareback, not on this mare. She's still really pretty neurotic and I don't think I could sit through one of her little fits without a saddle.

As far as I can tell from the pictures, that's where D's dry spots were. Before you go buying another saddle, talk to Stubben. Ask if you can send them the sheet and see what they would recommend.

It's tough that your Master Saddler isn't doing individual consultations.

Not to be snarky, but just what is s/he doing these days?

I bought the 32 cm Roxanne at the suggestion of our local master saddler (actual certified, trained in the UK, Master Saddler) for Blush, and she liked the fit for her. Dove is pretty beefy, so I suppose I'm not terribly surprised I need something wider.

I rode in my Niedersuss dressage saddle today and had the same dry marks. I took pictures:

Left Side

Right Side

Another Right Side

More obvious on the left, partially due to the light.

And while I'm usually pretty confident bareback, not on this mare. She's still really pretty neurotic and I don't think I could sit through one of her little fits without a saddle.

Good idea about contacting Stubben--I've asked them if they have a Stubben saddle fitter around here. We will see what they say. There is a County rep that was recommended, but I'm a little reluctant to have her out as I imagine her goals (sell County) are different than my goals (find whatever will fit best, regardless of brand.)

As for the master saddler, I think the other parts of her business, like custom saddlery and perhaps repairs has taken off. Good for her, as I imagine building a saddle from scratch is a lot more interesting that doing fittings all day! Although I do wish she could do both

Simkie - if you'd like help fitting your Stubben, contact Sue Kreutzer in Parker at Cheval Colorado. She is a stubben dealer and has helped me fit multiple horses/stubben saddles long distance and has just been so great to work with.

Awesome, TakeAChance--I'll give her a call!

I rode in a friend's wintec...not sure what tree is in it, but the saddle was borderline TOO wide. Sat a little low in front, but not so wide it was on the wither. Still had the dry spots, so I guess it's just not a tree pinching issue?

If the dry spots are not due to the tree pinching, do I really need to be concerned about it at all?

YES. With our kind of luck, yes.

Awesome, TakeAChance--I'll give her a call!

I rode in a friend's wintec...not sure what tree is in it, but the saddle was borderline TOO wide. Sat a little low in front, but not so wide it was on the wither. Still had the dry spots, so I guess it's just not a tree pinching issue?

If the dry spots are not due to the tree pinching, do I really need to be concerned about it at all?

There is a County rep that was recommended, but I'm a little reluctant to have her out as I imagine her goals (sell County) are different than my goals (find whatever will fit best, regardless of brand.)
    Give her a go
    - my County rep absolutely refuses to spend client money unless it really is to the benefit of both horse & rider.
    She has looked at alternate branded saddles on horses & approved the fit, shown the client just how well the horse moves in that saddle ... if she feels a saddle is a poor fit, she suggests trying saddle x, y etc

If you try some County saddles, have someone video your rides, have your trainer present, ride in the saddle as often as you need to really feel the differences in you & your horse - if you don't love it, move on to the next brand.

I'd definitely see if Stubben can help and it might only be making some adjustments in the flocking or the balance of the saddle that would get your Roxane just right. Would certainly be cheaper and within your budget and easier than trying to find an entirely new saddle! See what Sue says, I have sent her numerous photos of different saddles on different horses and she has been able to help me find the best fit for them. I now have 3 excellent fitting Stubben saddles and a lot more saddle fitting knowledge

Couple of things to keep in mind -- A 32 is a wide tree for Stubben, but it doesn't mean that it is actually a WIDE tree. Also, the gullet on a Stubben is narrower than on some other saddles (the whole channel front to back) and your horse can be narrow, wide or somewhere in between, but have a "thicker" or wider spine and that can cause a Stubben to not fit quite right.

Also, the Stubben tree points are long-ish, as tree points go -- sometimes they work great with TBs, particularly ones that have longer withers and pockets behind their shoulders, as my little guy had. He was pretty wide, but had to have the Albion "TB tree" just for that reason.

Your saddle may be the correct width, but may be starting to cause an issue for another reason. The suggestion to contact Stubben is excellent, and also to get a saddle fitter out to put an eye on it in person.

Best of luck with it!

Libby (Who loved one Stubben I had, very much, but it would never have fit Ben, no matter how wide the tree could have gotten. Sigh)
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Good lord--one issue for another. Since the saddle does not seem to be pinching, and the horse does not seem to be sore, I have continued to ride in it. Recent rides are with no dry spots. The latest deal is it is slipping back HUGELY. The first time it happened, I figured I'd just not tightened my girth. When it happened again, I looked like this:

I'm not one to hike the saddle up on the wither, and this sucker is sliding back a good 6"...maybe 8". Dove has a big shoulder, and she's starting to really stretch down and out and lift the back, which I suspect is causing it to move so much.

I'm nailing down some people locally to help me out, but any further ideas about avenues to investigate that might work for this horse? I will look into the Albion TB tree...

Hmmm -- if the tree points are too long for her, do you think that the shoulders are hitting the points and shoving the saddle back?
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Dry spots can also be due to the stirrup bar. Sometimes you need them 'pulled out' a bit so there is less angle in toward the topline. The dry spots in your pics do seem to line up with the tree points. I wonder if the the slippage you are experiencing is due to a 'too curvy' tree, maybe when she stretches down and flattens her back a curvy tree loses some degree of contact wrt the topline musculature?

Simkie, have you contacted Alice from County Saddlery? She will try to fit a proper saddle even if it isn't one of theirs. She has helped people make their lower end saddles fit using pads, etc until they can afford something better. Great lady, and boards at one of my barns in Franktown/Elizabeth. Let me know if you want/need her contact info. I'm not sure how far she travels if you can't come here, but certainly a great lady and well versed in fitting eventer horses and lots of TBs. Let me know if you want her website info. Cindi

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    Hmmm -- if the tree points are too long for her, do you think that the shoulders are hitting the points and shoving the saddle back?
    Certainly a possibility. I really have no idea and have never seen a saddle move quite so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Dry spots can also be due to the stirrup bar. Sometimes you need them 'pulled out' a bit so there is less angle in toward the topline. The dry spots in your pics do seem to line up with the tree points. I wonder if the the slippage you are experiencing is due to a 'too curvy' tree, maybe when she stretches down and flattens her back a curvy tree loses some degree of contact wrt the topline musculature?
    I think the tree of the saddle is pretty flat, but what do I know? I was mistaken about it being a Roxanne--it's an Edelweiss CS. I'm no longer seeing dry spots under the points, and I have no idea why they're gone. Being that the horse is green as grass, off the track and just starting into work, she does change a lot in how she goes week to week, so perhaps the dry spots were due to not being over her back or just moving in an odd way.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4running View Post
    Simkie, have you contacted Alice from County Saddlery? She will try to fit a proper saddle even if it isn't one of theirs. She has helped people make their lower end saddles fit using pads, etc until they can afford something better. Great lady, and boards at one of my barns in Franktown/Elizabeth. Let me know if you want/need her contact info. I'm not sure how far she travels if you can't come here, but certainly a great lady and well versed in fitting eventer horses and lots of TBs. Let me know if you want her website info. Cindi
    Glad to hear she's a class act! She is who my (former! still bummed!) saddle fitter up here recommended. Waiting to hear back from her.

It's so funny...I think this is the first time a horse has just totally baffled me on saddle fit. I'm usually fairly decent at finding something that works, although I suppose my challenges have really been limited to width and very basic tree shape, versus whatever is going on here. There's always more to learn!