The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eventing Vest on Ebay (Tipperary type) - know about it?

Hi folks - does anyone have any experience with this vest?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Horse-Riding...item3a7eb237f6

I own an Aerowear Outlyne vest that I LOVE, but I overheat if I wear it during warm/hot weather. I want to get something lighter and cooler for x-c schooling in the summer.

I saw this while searching on ebay, and it only runs about $100. This is the description:
    Equestrian Riding Vest - Horse Riding Protective Vest - Safety/Eventing Body Protector - Adult & Child

High quality horse back riding vest in black, navy blue, blue or red color. This safety vest combines optimum comfort and fit while affording a high level of shock absorption and impact reduction. The lowest price in the market for the same quality.

Light weight Flex-Pad design allows for a contoured custom fit that is not restrictive to movement. The zippered front and laced side adjustment provides an easier fit. Scalloped lower front allows less restriction. Extended padding provides increased protection for the tail bone.

Those products are OEM products, not of Tipperary brand, and sizes are different from those of Tipperary's . Please use the following sizing chart to pick the right size.

The reviews on the stores' sites (sold by many vendors) seemed very good, only complaint being that it wasn't actually a Tipperary.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I have one and I'm very happy with it. It stunk like crazy when it first arrived (chemical smell) but the shipping (from China) was actually very quick (like less than a week) and the quality seems quite nice.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

1 members found this post helpful.

are these legal for schooling events?

I have been having a bear of a time finding a vest to fit my short, currently fat self and they have petite sizes...

It's legal for recognized so I can't think of why it wouldn't be legal for schooling.

Thanks, JWB. I am definitely ordering.

soloudinhere - I will let you know how it fits, if you want - I will be ordering the petite large.
    PM me if you want feedback - that will help me remember!
    afox2332@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by afox2332 View Post
    soloudinhere - I will let you know how it fits, if you want - I will be ordering the petite large.
    PM me if you want feedback - that will help me remember!
    afox2332@gmail.com
    please do...that would be roughly my size, maybe an XL, I need to measure to see just how fat I've gotten

Are we positive they are legal for recognized horse trials?? I hope so....I have been checking these out for a while!

There are no testing/licensing requirements for vests. You just have to wear one.
    "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HiJumpGrrl View Post
    There are no testing/licensing requirements for vests. You just have to wear one.
    Although they don't appear to be mandated, I believe the USEF recommends that the vest should meet or surpass the current ASTM standard or be certified by the Safety Equipment InstituteASTM-F 1937-98 or a BETA 2000 Level 3 is its equivalent.

(I do know someone who is looking for a cost-effective vest for hacking, I am going to forward her the link!)
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Quote Originally Posted by WW_Queen View Post
    Although they don't appear to be mandated, I believe the USEF recommends that the vest should meet or surpass the current ASTM standard or be certified by the Safety Equipment InstituteASTM-F 1937-98 or a BETA 2000 Level 3 is its equivalent.
    Recommended, yes, but not required. Many of the most popular vests (Tipperary, for one) do not meet these standards.
    "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by HiJumpGrrl View Post
    Recommended, yes, but not required. Many of the most popular vests (Tipperary, for one) do not meet these standards.
    Very true! The $299 Tipperary looks comparable to this one under $100....
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Tipperary does not meet or surpass the current ASTM standards, is not certified by the Safety Equipment InstituteASTM-F 1937-98 or BETA 2000 Level 3 due to the open spaces between the foam.

Apparently it is a puncture risk. This vest would fail for the same reasons. That doesn't stop many people from wearing them. Tipp is one of the most popular models of vests out there!

Very interesting indeed. Might be worth a look then, since I ride in a Tipp now but would really love a blue one!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

The chance of a puncture are slim when compared to blunt force trauma. I love the Tipp style and may invest in one of these even as a back up.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

OEM usually stands for "original equipment manufacturer"... might be worth a shot. I might look into it myself!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Well, I ordered one, since there was no way I was going to get a custom size for $100 elsewhere, and vests are usually way too long on me. So I ordered one 2" shorter than the petite size cause yeah, I'm that short...

Has anyone ever heard of anyone suffering a puncture injury falling off over jumps?

Just curious...

Jennifer

Pattnic--please let us know how it is when you get it--I saw them the other day too and was considering one. Unfortunately, none of their sizes are a perfect match for me, but if their worth it, I'll make one fit
    "A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service." Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by SomedaySoon View Post
    Pattnic--please let us know how it is when you get it--I saw them the other day too and was considering one. Unfortunately, none of their sizes are a perfect match for me, but if their worth it, I'll make one fit
    For a little more $$, you can get a custom size.