The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How big of a role does Registration play for your mares?

Someone has approached me with a tempting offer for a Hanoverian mare, however she is not registered. I would like to eventually breed her, but i'm not sure it's worth it. How would it effect the foal in terms of approval and registrations?

Quote Originally Posted by FairhavenSportHorses View Post
    Someone has approached me with a tempting offer for a Hanoverian mare, however she is not registered. I would like to eventually breed her, but i'm not sure it's worth it. How would it effect the foal in terms of approval and registrations?
    Does she have a certificate of pedigree or any way to prove she is a Hanoverian? Does she have a sport record?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure at this point - I'm still waiting on a whole wack of answers. At this point I know she's 9, unregistered, by a stallion named Luke (who is registered Canadian Warmblood, and by Lucero / out of a Godewind daughter) and has been used as a school horse for the past 2 years.

For sake of a round about answer, let's say she has no paperwork.

my 2 cents? why buy a foal from an unregistered mare (your prospect) when there are many foals from registered mares? of course, you could breed her only and keep the foal for you or some books allow you to register with only 1 parent entered in the registry.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mareslave View Post
    my 2 cents? why buy a foal from an unregistered mare (your prospect) when there are many foals from registered mares? of course, you could breed her only and keep the foal for you or some books allow you to register with only 1 parent entered in the registry.
    That's sort of my thinking .. though if I went to say, an RPSI inspection with the foal and mare, would the mare get put into the sub mare book, and the foal be eligible for half brand?

1 members found this post helpful.

RPSI? I don't know. I always ask the registrar of the book I'm considering cuz you'll get multiple conflicting answers and the only answer that matters is the one in writing from the registrar.

At this point I know she's 9, unregistered, by a stallion named Luke (who is registered Canadian Warmblood, and by Lucero / out of a Godewind daughter)
    If her sire is a Canadian Wb reg. horse that is unlikely to be approved hanoverian, she might have some hanoverian blood down the road, but she is probably not Hanoverian. If she is not registered whatsoever, there's no way to prove that her sire is indeed her sire. So there's no way to prove that she indeed carries Hanoverian OR any other WB blood.

There's plenty of registered mares for sale for very cheap out there. OTTB for example. Any well put together TB mare with decent movement and substance can have fair chances to be approved with Hanoverian (AHS in USA or the Verband in Canada)... That is more than any unregistered mare will ever be able to do.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    If her sire is a Canadian Wb reg. horse that is unlikely to be approved hanoverian, she might have some hanoverian blood down the road, but she is probably not Hanoverian. If she is not registered whatsoever, there's no way to prove that her sire is indeed her sire. So there's no way to prove that she indeed carries Hanoverian OR any other WB blood.

There's plenty of registered mares for sale for very cheap out there. OTTB for example. Any well put together TB mare with decent movement and substance can have fair chances to be approved with Hanoverian (AHS in USA or the Verband in Canada)... That is more than any unregistered mare will ever be able to do.
    I tend to agree. The woman offered the mare in trade for my pony hunter prospect as he would be better suited to her daughter for Pony Club, however he's way too fun to part with at this point.

Thanks for everyone's advice

I know the owner of Luke and Luke was not approved with any association due to an injury as a young horse. I owned a mare by him a number of years ago and she was a nice mare but only eligible for the bottom book as would be the case of this mare you are looking at.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

1 members found this post helpful.

I owned Luke's mother, Grey Myst, although we did not breed Luke. She was my heart horse and an incredible producer, absolutely everything out of her could jump (although the ones by jumper stallions were significantly more talented) and she was very consistent. We did not get her until after she'd produced Luke...he was not approved for breeding and I've not seen him in person. Here is a link to Grey Myst's tribute album on my farm page in the event that you would like to know a bit more about Luke's family: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1055485&type=1

(Disclaimer: This is not meant as any type of advertising, this mare is deceased and there are no offspring available for sale)
    Now developing Stone Clad Farms, visit us at www.facebook.com/StoneCladFarms

It really depends on your breeding goals. IMO, registration and approvalo is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by FairhavenSportHorses View Post
    That's sort of my thinking .. though if I went to say, an RPSI inspection with the foal and mare, would the mare get put into the sub mare book, and the foal be eligible for half brand?
    Based on my recent correspondence with RPSI, assuming you bred her to an RPSI-approved stallion she could be approved into the Pre Mare Book and the foal would be given a COP and half brand upon inspection. If the foal were to be a filly, it would take a few more generations (two or three, IIRC) before any offspring would be eligible for full papers.

I corresponded with them a few weeks ago Re: registry options for a planned foal by a TB stallion (unapproved, but JC registered), out of my Westphalian (reg) mare.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

The AWR will accept the mare without other approval. They will inspect her and score her on her own merit. If u have a signed breeding certificate and get DNA done, I think she would have the full pedigree on the papers, which is the purpose of lower studbbooks and Certificate of Pedigree offered by some associations. They do not have a variety of studbook levels as they offer members the credit for being intelligent enough to make good breeding choices.
    The resulting foal would also be inspected to help u decipher the wiseness of your choice. They will inspect/ accept one foal by any stallion approved with another association, so if u do not choose an AWR approved sire, be sure to check that none other by your choice stallion has been presented.

You also would not be presented with annual"mare dues" required by many associations, should you choose to breed again after the first.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Another option would be to breed her to an Irish Draught stallion. If by "the frigid north" you mean Canada Steeped in Luck has been bred to a lot of WB mares.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.