The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Not unreasonable. What is unreasonable is it sounds like they are getting a lot for very little $ - and not having the courtesy to pick up after their horse.

I pay pretty good money for rough board – and we are expected to pick up in the arena – keeps it nice for ALL of us. And like responsible adults, everyone picks up.

Yes, get contracts – and I would start making a stink every time someone leaves poop in the arena. Big signs – email blasts – notes in tack room. Perhaps the “not guilty” one will peer pressure the non poop scooper to do something!

OP has specifically and repeatedly asked that they pick up the poop on her 40k worth of footing so there is NO WAY she was not aware or it slipped her mind.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I think your husband has the right idea.

Remind the boarders of the rule. Tell them that he'll lock the arena the next time someone forgets to clean up after themselves. That gives everyone a chance to get it right and warning about the consequences of forgetting.

I don't think it will help to put this into a boarding contract. Who cares if it's in writing? Can you enforce it? Are you going to kick out one of these boarders for that? If you are willing to go there, why not also be willing to lock the ring for, say, 48 hours each time someone screws up? Also, I wouldn't want a solution that caused me as the BO to do any more work than necessary-- reminding, charging the $5 Turd Penalty, or figuring out who done what.

Screw it. They'll remember if the consequences of forgetting are clear and unpleasant.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

Eek - BO's must have hated us! I've never been asked to do this, and if it was expected I wasn't aware. Now I feel awful.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

^^^

If you weren't asked/or didn't see a spotless ring and fork/bucket, you have nothing to worry about.

Some barns do this, some don't. The price of board shouldn't matter. It's just a question of respecting the BO's effort to maintain the footing that *everyone* enjoys.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Put a sign on the arena gate that says: Pick up any manure after you ride or find a new home for your horse!

Some college students can be space cadets, so you need to make it clear and have a consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    Put a sign on the arena gate that says: Pick up any manure after you ride or find a new home for your horse!

Some college students can be space cadets, so you need to make it clear and have a consequence.
    And on the tack room door so they see it again when they are putting their tack away when they are done.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    Eek - BO's must have hated us! I've never been asked to do this, and if it was expected I wasn't aware. Now I feel awful.
    It is expected with alot of the modern types of synthetic footing that cost like hades and do not mix well with excessive manure deposits (or pee as discussed in another thread). With the old sand or dirt rings? It looks better if it's picked up and keeps the flies down but some places don't care since it does not hurt anything and they can add more sand pretty cheap.

If you were never asked and it was/is not posted? It's optional.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Brief meeting: "Our request: Pick up manure your horse leaves in the arena. We enjoy having you here, but we've spent a lot of money for this good footing, and we don't feel as though we need to constantly remind you. Fork and muck bucket by the door. If you LIKE riding in the arena, use it before you leave - EVERY SINGLE TIME. You will get one more chance; the next time we come in and find piles in the arena, the arena doors will be locked."
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

6 members found this post helpful.

Sign:

If there's poop, SCOOP!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    FWIW, I really think the rate charged doesn't impact whether or not a person should have to clean up their horses' poop out of the indoor.
    And I don't think it matters whether you've got $40,000 arena footing or a simple sand ring. Picking up your horse's poop from a shared arena is simply common courtesy.

It is incomprehensible to me - here - that a person would not pick up before any pile gets kicked into a million pieces. But then we don't have tons of staff running around to do it for us, either.

Take a look at the thread in Off Course with a similar title - it's an eye-opener.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post

Haha! A boarder showed up at the barn Christmas Party with a "pick up your poop" poem printed on a sign for the BO to hang by the ring.

And for the love of God, if you can own a horse and get into college, you can pick up sh!t. So much slack being cut.... so much crap on $40K worth of footing/good places to roll!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

All the barns I know of have a policy like this. Common courtesy. I would talk to the girls and explain that you like having them around but unless they are going to pick up for themselves there will either be a board increase (to cover hour inconvenience and labor cleaning up after them) or they will be asked to leave. Sounds like they have a pretty sweet deal (this coming from a 22yo college student!).
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Not unreasonable...but I've never, in all my years of riding, been required to scoop the poop.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    And on the tack room door so they see it again when they are putting their tack away when they are done.
    This.

People often forget once they are out of the ring with their horse safely tied up when they can actually scoop. Heck, I can hardly remember what I went to the tack room for at any given time.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Heck, I can hardly remember what I went to the tack room for at any given time.
    Glad I am not the only one!

Not unreasonable at all, in fact we have to get off and clean up manure immediately, can't even wait until the end of the ride to clean up, as the Travel Rite (or whatever it is called) footing can't have manure mixed up in it (or so we have been told). I would definitely institute a rule and charge a fee for each cleanup, and as others have already said, you should have a boarding contract as well.

I didn't read all the responses, so maybe this has been covered. I would explain precisely why you want it done. I find that people are more willing and happy to go along with rules and regulations when they understand the reasoning behind them.
    The best is yet to come

Absolutely not unreasonable.

But, OMG, I am so happy we don't have to do that! I'm good about it in the aisles. But I would HATE to dismount when my mare can poop as many as 5-6 times in a ride! And if it's busy and I've got her in tow, it's just cumbersome. As soon as she's on cross ties, I'm likely to forget.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Just remembering a place in the UK where they seemed to NEVER clean up. The footing was as much manure as anything. The falls were probably super soft, but who wants to fall in poop?!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!