Question Good place for Wyoming trail ride?

Hi, all - Looking for some names of places to sign up for a trail ride in Cody, Dubois,or Afton Wyoming areas in June. Would be totally bored with the generic head-to-tail group rides, looking for something a bit more adventurous for intermediate rider. 2 hr to half-day duration, unfortunately vacation time won't allow for a pack trip (THIS time!!!)

TIA! ---Joan, nh

A good friend of mine worked as a wrangler for a few years at Bitter Root Ranch in Dubois, WY. http://www.bitterrootranch.com/

I don't know if they do just day-trips or if you would be required to be a ranch guest, but it's worth the inquiry.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

If you want to go out on your own, you can always call some outfitters and see what they have available. Prices are typically high for the summer and fall seasons since demand is high, but you can usually find someone who has a horse or two if you call early.

You can also call around to the guest ranches in the area and see what types of rides they offer.

I'm in Jackson Hole so the options here are pretty abundant. I'm not sure what your options would be in Dubois, Afton or Cody though.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you both for the info!

Teddyi - I've sent you an email.

Back in the early 90's I did 8 week long riding trips by an outfitter based in Lander. My favorite ride was in the Dunoir Wilderness which is north of Dubois. I heartily recommend that area if you are able to find someone to take you riding there. We rode up to 12,000 ft and the view was spectacular, saw lots of Elk, some moose, waterfalls, and lots of wildflowers.

Keep in mind that driving distances in Wyoming can be pretty long, so nothing is real close, but it's worth it. I would do online searches and see what you can come up with.

1 members found this post helpful.

nhhaflngr,

You're very welcome. I sent you a reply to your email. Let me know if you have any questions!

Teddyi