The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Keeping Black horses Black

ANy tricks and or tips to keep a black horse black? Thanks

Fly sheets with UV protection in the summer, a blanket in winter, keeping clipped means less likely to bleach, , a coat shine supplement (smartpak makes one especially for blacks if you don't show), healthy haircare or quic screen sunscreen or a fly spray with a sunscreen in it. If something bleaches still, shapely a makes black (and every other color) spray for touch ups. Try not to use liniments or alcohol excessively because it will dry out the hair and make it look duller. Lastly, both Gallop and Quic make shampoo for dark horses.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

Do a search here about Paprika. It does a great job at keeping black horses black. There should be quite a bit of info on feeding it in past threads.

Lots and lots of good grooming. Also, remember a lot of good shine and looks come from the inside, so quality feed with lots of fat.

Keeping them covered in the sun helps. I don't like spraying them with lots of products, so I don't know how much the sunscreens and such help. I also rarely bathe my black/brown horse (the Quick Black does not work!). He has a lovely coat with a high shine with little more than good grooming, keeping him out of the sun or covered up, and lots of good food.

Do realize that some seemingly black horses AREN'T black (mine is one of them), and will turn brown no matter what.

-use a coat supplement (I used cocosoya for other reasons but it made my horse's coat look fabulous)
    -make sure to sun screen as much as possible and fly sheet with UV protection -add baby oil to baths (just a little or else there will be too much slip)
    -if there is any white on the horse, make sure that gets as clean as possible.
    -I know some people dye their horse's mane and tail black to help hide sun damage
    -there are shampoos for making black, but I can't speak to their effectiveness
    -Feeding boiled beetroot and washing with mayonnaise will quickly darken a coat and the mayonnaise will add a shine (according to some people)
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Sun-sheet for turnout
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

One tablespoon of paprika per day keeps mine jet black even in the middle of summer. It does test.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Leave them in during the day and out at night -- most effective method.

Some black horses fade more than others, whatever you do. I have 2, and one fades about 10 shades lighter than the other on totally equal turnout/treatment (they are even in the same field).

As another note -- be careful what fly spray you use. Absorbine Ultrashield in the black bottle will fade my black horses to burnt light brown in a week, despite supposedly containing "sunscreen." I can't use it at all. I have had decent luck with TriTec14 not fading them.

Also, make sure you hose them off after you ride -- salt on their coats will fade them. And leave them IN the barn until they dry -- being out in the sun wet will exacerbate fade.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat. View Post
    -Feeding boiled beetroot and washing with mayonnaise will quickly darken a coat and the mayonnaise will add a shine (according to some people)
    Mayo is excellent for moisturizing hair (even for humans).

I have black RID's but am in the UK so not that much sun to worry about, lol I agree with the poster above who said to wash off sweat to avoid fading, and a sun sheet.