The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How much can I haul with a 04 f350 dually?

I'm starting to browse trailers for sale. Ideally I would like a 4+ horse gooseneck, mid tack would be nice too.

I have a 04 ford f350 diesel dually, king ranch (is this technically a super duty?). How much can I safely and legally tow? What weight of trailer should I be looking at?

Wondering if a 6 horse without living quarters would be over doing it? Of course the seller say they towed it with a f350.

I am in BC, Canada and going anywhere invloves going thru the mountains!

I'm not sure of the technical specs, but I have hauled a 6h gooseneck with weekend quarters 8+ hours with an 03 F-350 dually. Hauled like a dream.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

We live just south of you and pull our 20 foot steel trailer with up to 7 horses in it with our 99 F350. We have the 7.3 engine though which IMO makes a difference.

1 members found this post helpful.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...r_F250_350.pdf

Go here. This lists the available configurations for F350s for that year and will specify the tow capacity.

2 members found this post helpful.

You are going to have about 2,500 pounds to play with before being over your GVWR. Figure your empty truck at 8,000 pounds plus whatever you put in it including people. Typical GN puts 25% on the tongue so that would be a 10k loaded trailer. Otherwise, you will be up against your 20K GCVWR at a bit over 11K trailer weight. The 05 model year saw a massive increase in GVWR and GCVWR.

People are going to tell you it will pull whatever you hook up to it.

If you are going through mountains, I would be looking at a much larger truck for either trailer.

My rule of thumb is to add a 1 to the first number of the truck to determine the number of horses you can haul. That's just me though. I don't ever want to put ourselves or our horses in a bad spot when things go wrong.

We pull our 12K 2+1 with an 08 F-450.

Intersting, AH. so a 450 would haul 5, a 350 would haul 4 horses, a 250 would haul 3 horses?

Don't tell that to all the cowboys around here who haul 4 - 6 horses with 250s and 350s maybe BUt they are in stock trailers with no ramps and such.

The barrel racers around here get the Freightliners to haul their massive LQ multiple horse trailers!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Well, around here, the police are getting smart and weighing rigs. Big fines for being overweight. If you are over weight and involved in an accident, you can be held liable.

That link above puts my truck at 12400-12600 lbs of loaded gooseneck weight.

The sundowner 6h weighs between 8-9000lbs, or atleast that's what the dealer said.
    That would be way beyond what I could haul even if wasn't full.

Theres a trails west 4h that is 5600+ empty. So 4 horses with tack @1500 lbs each. That would be pretty much at my max.

Yes, do the math. It's not about how many horses it will haul or other people's stories -- it really is numbers and physics. A trailer's weight often can have nothing to do with its size either, but rather how it was built and material used. I am very leery of super-light trailers due to concerns about strength and engineering shortcuts. I'd rather pull a smaller, well-built trailer than a larger one that will turn into a tuna can in an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by OneFineMess View Post
    That link above puts my truck at 12400-12600 lbs of loaded gooseneck weight.

The sundowner 6h weighs between 8-9000lbs, or atleast that's what the dealer said.
    That would be way beyond what I could haul even if wasn't full.

Theres a trails west 4h that is 5600+ empty. So 4 horses with tack @1500 lbs each. That would be pretty much at my max.
    That 12,400 number is best case empty truck. 20,000 is your max combined weight. Your truck is about 8,000 pounds empty.

You are going to run out of tongue weight before you run out of trailer weight. A 10,000 pound trailer is going to put you up to your GVWR.

Isn't the real question not what your truck can pull, but rather what can it stop? I've heard many stories of the trailer wagging the truck. I've also been told that a long wheel base on the truck makes a huge difference.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

You might just want to do a search on the reliability of the 6.0L engine in that truck before you make long-term plans with it. PM me for the details of the class action suit if you want.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yep, for not a whole lot of $$ you can move in to an 08-10 F-450. That was our choice vs dumping 6K into the 6.0. It needed tires too, so that was another 2K.

Default depends on where you're going

and which engine you have. The old 7.3 dielel we have, no problem. I hauled a steel 6 horse with 6 horses and a pony up over Jelico mountain and never knew it was back there.

My 2006 F350, crew cab, dually diesel with the "new motor" meh, you'd likely be fine with what you're thinking of hauling, I have a big 2+1 two BIG horses, no problem. 32 foot travel trailer, no problem. It does not pull weight as well as the 1999 with the 7.3. I love that truck. It's green, matches nothing but it pulls like a diesel train.

I think it would be ok with a loaded 6 horse with no living quarters, or maybe ok with, but, if where you plan to haul is uphill both ways you'll do it, but you will slow uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post

I think it would be ok with a loaded 6 horse with no living quarters, or maybe ok with, but,
    Even the most stripped 6H loaded is going to be pushing 15K...