The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default URGENT- Depo question

What happens if you do not shake the depo-provera suspension before you put it in the syringe? Most of the solution in the syringe was clear, as opposed to the milky white substance. Is this going to cause problems?

Thank you in advance

This is probably a question for your vet and not an online forum.

P.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    This is probably a question for your vet and not an online forum.

P.
    I realize that. However it was midnight and I couldn't get in touch with my vet. I posted here hoping someone might know. Now I remember why I don't ever post on here.

Thanks anyway.

In this case, the syringe would contain a diluted form (less concentrated) of the drug therefore the actual dose would be reduced. The solution remaining in the bottle is going to be more concentrated as a result.

If you injected what you had drawn up in the syringe, that should not cause a problem other than not being very effective. It is not an expensive drug and I would suggest that you get a new bottle from your vet for further use.
    friend of bar*ka

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    In this case, the syringe would contain a diluted form (less concentrated) of the drug therefore the actual dose would be reduced. The solution remaining in the bottle is going to be more concentrated as a result.

If you injected what you had drawn up in the syringe, that should not cause a problem other than not being very effective. It is not an expensive drug and I would suggest that you get a new bottle from your vet for further use.
    Thank you so much! That is what I thought but just wanted to make sure. Now that it isn't some ungodly hour in the night, I can call my vet and see what he suggests.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post

This, you didn't put the depo in suspension so you gave a diluted dose and the bottle is now more concetrated than is typical.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/