The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Neurological no more?

Need input:
    I have 10 yr old Pinto WB that I bought as weanling. When I started riding him, he had very inconsistent gaits, and a bad habit of tripping. Multiple vet appts revealed nothing wrong......not paying attention?
    at 4, he collapsed while cantering. (He had GREAT insurance ) all 'big' tests were negative except the ultrasound showed 'fluid on C6 & C7'. Did an injection at the site, and he did a 180. During myelegram, vet pulled spinal fluid and sent for EPM testing. (3 previous tests were neg). Results came back showing exposed to EPM. No more injections. Treated as an EPM case.
    Horse looks amazing now, with no further treatment. Has not been ridden in years. It is possible for this to heal? I never did think EPM was the culprit. Should I have another ultrasound done to see if there are any changes? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

1 members found this post helpful.

Sure, neuro stuff can stabilize on it's own. It's possible that you caught the inflammation and addressed it with injections before it turned into bony changes and that is that, or it's possible that bony changes stabilized the problem facet joints (similar to basket surgery.) Or maybe he really did have EPM. Just curious--what did the myelogram show? Any narrowing?

Regardless, thank your lucky stars and put him back into work and see how he does

1 members found this post helpful.

I think you should give him a chance..........he's gorgeous!!! Have you tried putting him into light work , perhaps lunging in sidereins? See if he trips, and if he holds up.........keep moving forward slowly!
    He's probably no more dangerous than riding babies <wink>
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Myelegram was 100% normal. No narrowing whatsoever.
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!