The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Broken Zip up Tall Boots

I have had my most recent pair of zip up tall boots for about eight months, so not a very long time. I really loathe zip up boots, since I always have problems with them, but lately I can't find pull on boots in my price range in my size. Anyway, I finally got my current boots broken in (they were the hardest pair of boots I've ever had to break in, including pull on ones) and they break! The little snap thing above the zipper broke off, and now they unzip while I ride and drive me crazy. I take good care of my boots, so I'm unsure why they broke. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to fix this myself? Or if I can't, am I better off going to the company to fix them or a local place?
    (and if anyone knows of a good, fairly inexpensive pull on boot, I'd be thrilled if you could suggest it!) Thanks!

Most companies will fix or replace your boots if there's a material defect within a year of purchase. Take them (or ship them) back to the store from which you purchased them. The retailer will then deal with the manufacturer on your behalf. If you try to fix them and it doesn't work, you will have lost your opportunity to have the manufacturer accept them as their problem.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Dont know where you are located, but find a shoe repair guy in your area, take him the boot and he should be able to fix it. Will charge half as much as the boot company, will be done in a couple days and they will be fine.
    Edited to add: missed the less-than-a-year part. So start w/ the retailer and see where you get. Then look for a local guy!!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

My zipper busted on my tall boots less then a year old. Didn't bother contacting the manufacturer as the local cobbler put a new zipper in for $15

Also watch Equestrian Collections for non zip tall boots. A local tack shop here had a ton

The cobbler can also tighten the zipper so that they are stiffer to unzip. You'll have to use some more caution when yanking them open or close, but it should help. I'd have them do both, repair the tab and tighten the zips.
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

I own a tack shop and sell both off the rack and custom boots. The only reason I am telling you is that I have learned that most of the companies I work with want to know when something goes wrong. In many cases they will go out of their way to help fix the issue. Let them know what's going on. Since it is just the snap and the boots are broken in, I agree with the other posters- fix it with local shoe repair but def let the company know. Good luck!

I had both my zippers on my ariats go, I took them to the local shoe smith and he ended up replacing them, I haven't had a problem since.

And he did tell me to have a little brush, slightly dampened, and brush out the dirt and dust in the zipper regularly, that will help to lengthen the life of it.
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

But the zipper isn't broken just the snap? The cobbler could probably fix very inexpensively. I think my daughters snaps were fixed for $20.00 both boots. I didnt like the repair job Vogel did so sent them to Woody's in Wellington, great job! He did the snaps and replaced the zippers, Vogel's zips were just not sturdy.

You can also buy snaps at joanns for about $6 including the tool. Depending on which side is broken you may or may not be able to get the broken piece out of the leather very nicely/prettily.

Try the manufacturer first though

Thanks for all of the suggestions everybody!!