The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nutmeg View Post
    "Most of the best riders in the world" could perhaps be changed to "some of the best riders in the world," as there was not a Whitaker, a Beerbaum, a Guerdat, a Spooner or a Fellers in sight, and only a lesser Ehning. Hong Kong drew most of the highest ranked. But yes, that was a tasty and suspenseful jumpoff.
    But there was a Rodrigo Pessoa , Nick Skelton , Laura Kraut , McClain Ward , Janne Frederika Meyer , Ian Miller , Cian O'Connor etc. "Some" probably would have been the better choice of words.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Reece, that's silly. In a Nations Cup rankings can change in the blink of an eye. Beezie was very lucky. Her crashing through the water jump would have had a dramatic influence on the rankings if a foot had been seen to have touched the water.
    Coulda , woulda , shouda Tom. Beezie did not touch the water nor the tape. The outcome could have been different and it could have changed in the blink of an eye , but in fact it did not. This competition was easily won by Team USA leading wire to wire. It is what it is......

Morningside Stud, Ogonnelloe, Co. Clare, Ireland

Yes, the USA won by one point. A massive margin of victory!
    (I did not say she touched the tape or the water.)

3 members found this post helpful.

I guess Bayhawk is patriotic for the rest of us... ONE point is NOT a huge margin... it's one freaking little point.
    And I was patriotic, cheering for the Canadian squad!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I guess Bayhawk is patriotic for the rest of us... ONE point is NOT a huge margin... it's one freaking little point.
    And I was patriotic, cheering for the Canadian squad!
    Like I said earlier...in my estimation , it wasn't as close as the score made it appear. The gap was closed way late in the competition. USA had it well in hand the whole way. I don't care.......I was there , I know what I witnessed. You guys can go argue with someone else about what their opinion may or may not be.

1 members found this post helpful.

Robert Ridland did not share your confidence during the class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrMh8C9Ittc

Go USA. I have to admit I thought this was going to be about buying American , as opposed to importing.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Normally I do not post on this forum anymore....... but I have to take issue with greyarabpony 's remark about American bred jumpers not " kicking butt" in the big shows . I know for a fact that Grey Fox Farms in California bred a horse that is winning GPs and Carol Lush bred a horse that is winning GPs and Bannockburn Farm has two horses at that level ...one Centurion B has won several mid west GPs and this year has already won two GPs ( 50,000 and 25,000 ) and a welcome stake as well as coming in 2nd and 7th in additional GPs at HITS Ocala.
    There are so many factors to getting a horse to that level. It takes a well bred and sound horse and a talented and patient rider and time . There is a greater effort being made right now to encourage riders to buy American bred jumpers then I have ever seen before.
    And by the way I was at the Nation's Cup this week end and the American team was great but the highlight of the weekend was the spectacular jump off at the GP. The best jump off I have ever seen and I have been watching J/O for too many years to count.
    Allyn McCracken
    Sport Horse Breeder
    www.bannockburnfarmllc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Allyn M View Post
    Normally I do not post on this forum anymore....... but I have to take issue with greyarabpony 's remark about American bred jumpers not " kicking butt" in the big shows . I know for a fact that Grey Fox Farms in California bred a horse that is winning GPs and Carol Lush bred a horse that is winning GPs and Bannockburn Farm has two horses at that level ...one Centurion B has won several mid west GPs and this year has already won two GPs ( 50,000 and 25,000 ) and a welcome stake as well as coming in 2nd and 7th in additional GPs at HITS Ocala.
    There are so many factors to getting a horse to that level. It takes a well bred and sound horse and a talented and patient rider and time . There is a greater effort being made right now to encourage riders to buy American bred jumpers then I have ever seen before.
    And by the way I was at the Nation's Cup this week end and the American team was great but the highlight of the weekend was the spectacular jump off at the GP. The best jump off I have ever seen and I have been watching J/O for too many years to count.
    I agree. I was there as well, and for me, the jump off Sunday was WAY more exciting and competitive than the Nations Cup Friday Night.

I heard them describe it as the greatest jump off in WEF History. 1/100th of a second......doesn't get much closer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by AFOBGYN View Post
    As breeders the one thing that stands out is that the USEF Network does not tell you the breeding on any of the horses or the registration of the horse.
    In all fairness, during USEF Network coverage of the WC Hunter Rider class at Wellington, the commentators did provide breeding info (registry, sire + dam) when it was available to them.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    In all fairness, during USEF Network coverage of the WC Hunter Rider class at Wellington, the commentators did provide breeding info (registry, sire + dam) when it was available to them.
    Yes, they did. And the same information could be given out during the show jumping classes! And would be appreciated!
    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

Couldn't agree more with Allyn M!!!! The USA breds ARE making headway into the top levels of show jumping. Bristol, bred and developed by Grey Fox Farm, looks to be going to the WC Finals and Wistful, another of theirs is embarking on a GP career with wins with Ashlee Bond, too. The late Carol Lush bred River of Dreams, a gelding by Riverman out of a Merano mare. He won 8 GP last year and 2 already this year. (Bayhawk has spent considerable energy bashing Riverman on this forum.) And Allyn's two horses burst onto the GP scene with multiple victories in Florida this season. And she has many more in the pipeline.
    And Wang Chung showed to be incredibly brave for such a green horse around those tracks....the way he stretched over that last oxer when he got in a bit long showed he has a great brain, too. We knew he had the scope!
    Which horse did Bayhawk breed that is going GP in USA right now? Anyone? And how many years has Bayhawk been at it? Hopefully we can cheer on one of Bayhawk's homebreds one day.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by knowthatifly View Post
    Couldn't agree more with Allyn M!!!! The USA breds ARE making headway into the top levels of show jumping. Bristol, bred and developed by Grey Fox Farm, looks to be going to the WC Finals and Wistful, another of theirs is embarking on a GP career with wins with Ashlee Bond, too. The late Carol Lush bred River of Dreams, a gelding by Riverman out of a Merano mare. He won 8 GP last year and 2 already this year. (Bayhawk has spent considerable energy bashing Riverman on this forum.) And Allyn's two horses burst onto the GP scene with multiple victories in Florida this season. And she has many more in the pipeline.
    And Wang Chung showed to be incredibly brave for such a green horse around those tracks....the way he stretched over that last oxer when he got in a bit long showed he has a great brain, too. We knew he had the scope!
    Which horse did Bayhawk breed that is going GP in USA right now? Anyone? And how many years has Bayhawk been at it? Hopefully we can cheer on one of Bayhawk's homebreds one day.
    Carol Lush was a great student of Thoroughbred mare lines. She had a collection of some of the finest Tb marelines for sport you could imagine. She could hae played well in Holstein. She always had catalogs and specific mares marked.

You can breed the finest horse - but if the training is incorrect there will be deficiencies. Breeders have very little control over that unless we are famous in some way. Reece, Nick and Tim have bred some fine jumpers. Some will develop - some of it is just pure luck. But MHO, their probability of getting an international level horse is pretty good.
    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

Quote Originally Posted by knowthatifly View Post
    You are calling me out ? Seriously ? I've never bashed Riverman. Only stated the facts about him. I don't care how many have "burst" on the scene lately.....I wouldn't use him if you gave me a lifetime of free semen. He doesn't consistently produce top level jumpers and never has nor will he. A blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Tom has bred a very nice horse and better yet has constructed a deal to put him under one of the top riders in the world.

I'm not in competition with any breeders anywhere ,so go crawl back under your nasty rock and leave me alone.

Ah, at least what may lack in patriotism is abundant in passion

Congratulations - the US won (does not matter after the fact how many or few points) they won!

Others did really well too!

It is great to have a well attended high level jumping event in the US.

So many US breeders are scoring successes in the last years congratulations to them!

It is exciting to see success grow and it should be encouraging to all of us breeders. Lets not argue about it, celebrate it!
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Ah, at least what may lack in patriotism is abundant in passion

Congratulations - the US won (does not matter after the fact how many or few points) they won!

Others did really well too!

It is great to have a well attended high level jumping event in the US.

So many US breeders are scoring successes in the last years congratulations to them!

It is exciting to see success grow and it should be encouraging to all of us breeders. Lets not argue about it, celebrate it!
    Touche'.

(Well said; positive, passionate, and classy--as usual from Edgar )
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Morningside Stud, Ogonnelloe, Co. Clare, Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhawk View Post
    Tom has bred a very nice horse and better yet has constructed a deal to put him under one of the top riders in the world.
    Thanks, Reece, But to be clear, nothing was constructed. It was an uncomplicated transaction of a lot of euro for 50% of the stallion. This was not a "ride my horse and you get a percentage" deal. I got a wire transfer and the buyer got half the horse.

It's about time folks stop analyzing too much. Fact of the matter, USA won! It's been perhaps 5 years since they won the NC here in Wellington, and on the larger scale it equals HUGE points based on the new NC rules and format.

From my perspective, what is concerning, is that our picks for teams like NC and such are rather slim these days. We rely so heavily on the " usual" riders, and see very few up and coming. Kessler is an up and coming despite her Olympic debut, but where are the others? The best of the best are here in Welly and we are saturated by the amateur riders. It will be interesting to see how Robert Ridland comes up with his 3:2 ratio for teams.

There are so many factors involved, but at the the end of the day, we lack rider and horse power in larger numbers. The Europeans are stock full with professional riders, and we are stock full of professional trainers. Tough equation to turn around over here.
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Thanks, Reece, But to be clear, nothing was constructed. It was an uncomplicated transaction of a lot of euro for 50% of the stallion. This was not a "ride my horse and you get a percentage" deal. I got a wire transfer and the buyer got half the horse.
    Tom.....quit being so anal. You did construct a deal with Lamaze to buy half your stallion. Everytime a horse is sold a deal is constructed between the parties. It's a good thing. We don't need to know how many euros you got or anything else , that's between you and him.

Take your congrats and compliments and be happy......no explanation needed.

they have got to put out this year--just two North American-Central America-Caribbean slots available and it appears they will go to team US and team Canada--Mexico looked pretty poorly last week. The previous week, the Netherlands were very strong in Al Ain winning the first phase of the WC qualifiers this year, with the Brits, Germany and France finishing behind them. You could have watched it on FEI TV live online. Both weeks the top jumping riders and horses were good. We now move on to the next two regional qualifiers at Spruce Meadows in June.
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments