The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where is the patriotism ?

The USA handily won the Nations Cup in Wellington on Friday night and then proceeded to finish 1st , 2nd and 4th in Sunday's 150k Grand Prix that fielded most of the best riders in the world. I watched as Kent Farrington edged out Beezie by 1 / 100th of a second. The event was described as the greatest jump off in Wellington's history !

Not a word about it on here........UNBELIEVABLE ! Got to change the culture here people.

GO USA !!!!!!

9 members found this post helpful.

Bayhawk, most of us breeders were on Facebook cheering and cheering! I get you, though! I, myself, am thrilled to death with these super results! I guess we were a little disloyal to our beloved COTH forums, but we could talk faster on FB! It's hard enough to keep flicking back and forth from FB to USEFnetwork.com and back to FB!! GO USA!!

Diane Halpin & Laurel Leaf Hanoverians

Go USA!

1 members found this post helpful.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Agree most of us HAVE been cheering!!

but this IS the SH breeding forum last I looked so I be thinking a whole lot of the cheering (I sure hope so) is on the H/J forum - -
    Methinks not one of the horses NA bred

Now - err - I DID cheer on Tom re Wang Chung etc etc (gad Tom, could we get to a name I can remember???ha) - ridden to perfection by Eric Lamaze - on the SHB forum - dunno, Tom belongs even if he DID go to Ireland
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Where's the patriotism ? For the show jumper Nations Cup ?
    I dunno. Maybe ask those on the hunter/jumper forum....there's no mention of it there that I could see.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Hey, with 26 years in, and still on active duty, we’re about as patriotic as they come. We watched, cheered, talked with friends about it, and even watched a second time… but frankly it never occurred to us to post about it here. We gave up doing that sort of thing on COTH years ago. For a variety of reasons this forum seldom celebrates equine athletes who are truly excelling. You’re more likely to see dozens of posts on some rather mediocre creature, and you come away scratching your head, thinking, “How low do these people set the bar?”

All in all we were thrilled with our riders… and loved the opportunity to see Wang Chung M2S. He really draws you in…

2 members found this post helpful.

ok , ok. I was just surprised there wasn't a mention here.

Morningside Stud, Ogonnelloe, Co. Clare, Ireland

A digression:
    "The USA handily won the Nations Cup in Wellington" -- not really, Reece. USA had 4 faults and Canada had 5. Too bad Eric and Wang Chung had a time fault. If they hadn't there would have been a jump off between the USA and Canada for first place. And that would have been very exciting.
    Last edited by tom; Mar. 5, 2013 at 02:00 PM.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    A digression:
    "The USA handily won the Nations Cup in Wellington" -- not really, Reece. USA had 4 faults and Canada had 5. Too bad Eric and Wang Chung had a time fault. If they hadn't there would have been a jump off between the USA and Canada for first place. And that would have been very exciting.
    Tom , what I witnessed was an easy victory. Kinda like a football or basketball game where it really wasn't as close as the score may have indicated.

Team USA was in total control from the onset.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Where's the patriotism ? For the show jumper Nations Cup ?
    I dunno. Maybe ask those on the hunter/jumper forum....there's no mention of it there that I could see.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-starting-at-7

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...EF-Network-Now!

"Most of the best riders in the world" could perhaps be changed to "some of the best riders in the world," as there was not a Whitaker, a Beerbaum, a Guerdat, a Spooner or a Fellers in sight, and only a lesser Ehning. Hong Kong drew most of the highest ranked. But yes, that was a tasty and suspenseful jumpoff.

Reece, that's silly. In a Nations Cup rankings can change in the blink of an eye. Beezie was very lucky. Her crashing through the water jump would have had a dramatic influence on the rankings if a foot had been seen to have touched the water.

4 members found this post helpful.

I have already congratulated Tom on breeding Wang Chung on this board. If anyone else on this board also bred a horse in the competition I am unaware of it, or else I would also congratulate them!

I was also happy that US Kent Farrington, who won 1st place, said his horse is like the TBs he grew up riding. I hope comments like this may lead to more people once again breeding and developing TBs for the GP ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Renascence View Post
    I have already congratulated Tom on breeding Wang Chung on this board. If anyone else on this board also bred a horse in the competition I am unaware of it, or else I would also congratulate them.
    Actually Carlo Zimmer of Ferme Beaulieu Farm, Quebec did breed one of the horses also in the Nations Cup. Although it was not their best week for performances, Cento Per Cento sired by Cento and out of an Accord II/Pilot dam was born and raised in Canada.

I believe it was the first Nations Cup for both horse and rider, so definately a nerve wracking experience I would bet.

3 members found this post helpful.

"In a Nations Cup rankings can change in the blink of an eye."

Indeed your green but hard trying gallant stallion could have stopped or crashed at anytime in the first round--he clearly required a bit of skilled firm riding. It could have gone very dfifferently for anyone.

"It could have gone very dfifferently for anyone."
    Precisely.

3 members found this post helpful.

Default USEF Network Coverage

Elaine and I enjoyed watching the Nations Cup on USEF Network and also watched show jumping from Bremen Germany as well as Grand Prix Dressage from Bremen all on Clip My Horse. As breeders the one thing that stands out is that the USEF Network does not tell you the breeding on any of the horses or the registration of the horse. Clip My Horse shows three generations of sires for every horse and the registration for every horse. I noticed that every time a Holsteiner was competing an ad would pop up on the top of the screen for the Holstein Verband. That information is extremely valuable.

Many US breeders spend a lot of money with the USEF registering their foals for life, but we get very little for it. The culture needs to change in the US to make the three generation of sires and the breed declaration an expectation in all media.

I would rather watch clip my horse with commentators speaking a language I don't understand just for the breeding information than watch USEF Network that does not even acknowledge the horse has a sire.

As for the patriotism, I am sure most breeders are like Tom, they would be happier to see a horse they bred competing even for another country than just seeing their nations team win on a horse with no sire or connection to any breed, registry or breeder. As a US Air Force officer I was both surprised but also thrilled to see the stallion we bred, Commander by Contango, with the Chinese flag on his rear jumping 1.55m with China's Olympian Alex Hua Tian. After all, this forum is about breeding!

4 members found this post helpful.

Well, here you go… finally, a post where I agree with every word! Seriously… and if you’re married, you truly know how rarely you can say that.

Just wanted to add… there are horses that show proficiency and talent, and they win, and that is grand. But for a variety of reasons, they never touch your heart. In contrast, Wang Chung M2S is a thrill to watch. He has talent, skill and ability, and, in combination with Eric, he is simply captivating.

I was watching live and posting on COTH and FB about it at the same time, so we were out there cheering on the internet, guess you just missed it but nothing wrong with bringing it up again

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    Indeed your green but hard trying gallant stallion could have stopped or crashed at anytime in the first round--he clearly required a bit of skilled firm riding. It could have gone very dfifferently for anyone.
    This post actually really confuses me -- I didn't see anything of the sort. Who didn't ride strongly at the water or the last big oxer.

As far as cheering goes, sure I'm happy if the US does well but all I really want to see are good rounds. It's not like US breds are kicking butt in jumping competitions because currently they are not.