The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TB bloodlines/confo - Update-I bought a horse!

So I'm still searching for a TB prospect and I came across a couple from a local classified. Sorry to bug you guys! I swear I wont make any more threads about this ha ha

I'm looking for a lower level packer (but if theres potential to go more than training, that would be good too!), friend to love forever.

I FB'd the owner of this guy, and no response. I also called and got no response either. There has been a breakout of EHV-1 in her area so maybe thats why? I am a bit concerned about his legs after being jumped in snow! But maybe I'm paranoid...
    https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=21...earch&ad_cid=1

Called on this bay gelding, got no answer but he looks cute from what I can see

I called on thischestnut and going to look at him on Wednesday. She spoke highly of him and he seems exactly what I'm looking for. his pedigree seems nice too.
    (plus chestnut is my favorite color.. I'm rooting for this guy!)

As always, your help and input in appreciated!
    Last edited by KateMcCall; Mar. 19, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

The chestnut is 6 not 5 as stated in the ad. I generally take note when sellers get the basic information wrong.

I rather like the first horse. Mostly because the rider in the video looks sympathetic and tackful and he looks like he hasn't been screwed up yet. Major plus in my book...

1 members found this post helpful.

The first bay appears cute and at least they show he's ridable and fairly willing. Jumping in the snow doesn't bother me, but I would want to know how OFTEN they've been jumping him. He's just rising four.

There is just not enough of the second bay to say anything intelligent about him.

The pictures of the chestnut are terrible and the pedigree has very little that excites me. That's an awful lot of Mr Prospector and Storm Cat is known for a poor temperament and not known for throwing sport horses.

The first horse seems willing and sensible. I wouldn't worry at all about jumping in the snow -- there's practically no snow at all. The footing in the video doesn't really show how he moves so it's hard to evaluate him.

The other two? The pics are so bad you can't tell anything.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I'll get better pics of the chestnut when I look at him, as for the first bay the owner finally responded and I'll probably talk to her about looking at him next week when she gets back from Texas.
    Eventers of the West

I agree with subk. I like the first one best.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I like the 1st one best too. I used to ride at a place with no indoor and we jumped alot on snow. In fact we kept doing it after the indoor was built. It's not a bad footing if its packed evenly.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

So I got back from seeing horse #3 today (chestnut) he is a sweet, cute boy. I really liked him. Taking him out on Trial on Friday. His pics in the ad did NOT do him justice at all. he had a GREAT walk, very cute trot (could use a bit of work) and a gorgeous, rocking horse canter. he is narrow than I'm used to but I got comfortable on him really quickly. I'll post another update and pics after he's come to my barn
    Eventers of the West

Great! The chestnut looks like a good boy

Did you find out what he's been doing since his last race? He last ran 6/4/10. Also, in case you didn't know what one of the pics is, its his breeders cup nomination papers. Its kind of neat, but I guess not terribly uncommon, some one obviously had high hopes for him as a race horse

Here he is on equibase, if you pay for an account you can watch his past races if you are interested. http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...262&registry=T

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Great! The chestnut looks like a good boy

Did you find out what he's been doing since his last race? He last ran 6/4/10. Also, in case you didn't know what one of the pics is, its his breeders cup nomination papers. Its kind of neat, but I guess not terribly uncommon, some one obviously had high hopes for him as a race horse

Here he is on equibase, if you pay for an account you can watch his past races if you are interested. http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...53262®istry=T
    He is super, super sweet! I love him already! As far as I know he's just been ponied around on for the last few years. His owner is a western rider but doesn't compete so he's just been ridden around in the arena w/t/c and I think some trail rides.

Also thanks for letting me know that, I just assumed it was something to do with his registration! I honestly know nothing about racing :/
    Eventers of the West

5 starts, lightly raced! Probably pretty darn sound. As far as Storm Cat breeding goes, they can be hot and tempermental, however if you know how to get along with them and keep your cool, they will give you a lot! Where did you get this one Kate since I noticed he ran in CA?

He was definitely not hot. in fact he was lazier than my fat QH that I teach 5 year old kids on! but we will have to see when we get him in his new surroundings. He was honestly really willing. She had him in this crazy harsh twisted gag bit, and he did not need it - he was super soft in the mouth.
    I found him in Provo, UT (south of SLC). She said he was given to her by her dad, thats all I know. I'll have to ask her when I pick him up tomorrow

Pic I got of him yesterday http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...99013704_n.jpg
    Eventers of the West

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post

That's an awful lot of Mr Prospector and Storm Cat is known for a poor temperament and not known for throwing sport horses.
    Sorry, but I am bit of a stickler for correct use of terminology. A mare “throws” good foals. A stallion “gets” good foals. In this case, “Storm Cat is not know for getting sport horses”
    I am not one for throwing a horse under the bus for the sins of their ancestors especially not a direct son or daughter of. Having bought a few yearlings by Storm Cat in his early days at stud when my clients could still afford them I think his reputation for passing on mind issues is a bit over inflated. But they were either very good on the track or not worth a penny. Yes, some, maybe a lot had “mind” issues but just as many had soundness issues. But he did command a stud fee of $500,000 for a number of years. I maybe wrong but I would guess only a handful if that ever fell into the hands of sport horse owners. There was always a strong demand for modernly priced winners or unraced sons to go to stud somewhere in the world. And his daughters by and large were also in demand for broodmares to this day. I would be very interested to know how many were tried as sport horses. Perhaps Vineryridge would have an idea. I can think of none of any merit that were Steeplechase horses. If any ran over jumps at all.
    But I will back track. This is horse is by Tale of the Cat who I also know but never worked with any of his get. But have been told by the people that work with him at the farm that he is a real SOB. So in this case the family maybe a bit of a concern. At least on the top side. He sold for $6,700 as a yearling and Tale of The Cat’s fee was around $40,000 if not more at the time so he must have had “issues”. But I doubt his mind as a weanling would have kept him from selling for proper money. This is a link to his sales catalogue page; http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Nov07/pdfs/4824.pdf
    Mr. Prospector’s last crop were foals of 2000. For the same reason as Storm Cat I doubt many fell into the hands of sport horse owners but probably far more then Storm Cat. I have worked with a few over the years, race and re-school and a number of his get from sons of. Have never found them to be difficult. I can understand the knock on the direct get of Storm Cat but not Mr. P.
    The picture of this guy would not open for me. When it’s all said and done you are buying the horse in front of you not his pedigree. What he sold for and what he did on the race track is meaningless at this time.
    Of course, as always this is all just my opinion. To each their own

Seller decided to back out on the sale.
    The Search continues........
    Eventers of the West

CANTER Colorado has some cute horses listed right now. I like the first mare, Nicole, a lot.

I looked at Bay #1 earlier. Some of you may remember I am recovering from a back injury.
    After looking at him he was just wayy to young and too fresh for me. He bucked a few times and was really, hot. My trainer said Absolutely not.
    He was really nice and if I didn't have a healing back, he is exactly what I need.
    He had a gorgeous trot and moved really nice in general... I hope some eventer will come snatch him up!

My farrier found a horse that he thought might be what I need - He's an 8 year old Chestnut TB, but he is a TANK, I thought he was a Warmblood. He is really cool and had the cutest personality ever. He used to be a dressage horse, but someone trimmed his feet too short and lamed him. My farrier has been trying to slowly fix his feet and he has been out of work for 6 months. If I xrayed him and his feet were normal, and it was just a matter of hooves would it be worth it? What do you guys think? Heres the only pic I could get of him because he wouldn't get out of my face lol

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...36339414_n.jpg
    Eventers of the West

I find it hard to believe that a horse who was trimmed too short takes 6 months to heal. This has happened to me 3 times. Once wasn't too bad. Horse was off for a couple of weeks. The other 2 times were very serious. Both horses were in a stall for 6 weeks with various packing, soaking, and softride boots. Vet was very concerned with founder given the amount of pain they were in. Farrier was fired, hoof grew out, life is good
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

From that photo, he looks really upright in the rear end.

Straight hind leg, and dropped back (not swayed, but he isn't using his abdominal muscles to hold his ribcage and back up), are a recipe for stifle and hock problems.
    FAb temperament, though, is valuable. If there was a way to take him, put him back to work, and send him home if it didn't work out, I might try it if he was safe and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Fillabeana View Post
    Straight hind leg, and dropped back (not swayed, but he isn't using his abdominal muscles to hold his ribcage and back up), are a recipe for stifle and hock problems.
    FAb temperament, though, is valuable. If there was a way to take him, put him back to work, and send him home if it didn't work out, I might try it if he was safe and fun.
    I'm wondering if maybe they would consider doing a lease. If he could stay sound and could jump around a little he would be fine. I just need a horse to get me back into riding again.
    Eventers of the West