The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Tory Leather Goods Quality?

I just found a bridle of theirs that looks interesting. Blurb says they are an American company using American leather. It's much more expensive than the Bartville bridles but it does come with reins.

Anyone know anything about them? Are they just another Bartville disguise?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I like Tory items, especially their rubber reins, which aren't too expensive ($60 or less, other rubber reins of similar quality are $90). They're on the long side, which is great when you want to knot your reins for xc but still have enough to slip for a big drop. They aren't super-duper supple like the Eventa or SoftGrip reins-- they have leather inside, not nylon-- but they are not overly stiff/bulky in your hands and break in well. As with any rubber reins, they will eventually melt and get sticky...but mine lasted a good 6+ years.

Their leather items are typically supple, with good thickness and sturdy stitching. A friend loves their breastplates; they aren't as wide as the standard Nunn Finer hunting breastplate, but they do have a nifty snap at the withers, if you're too lazy to slip it over the horse's head (and undo the cross-ties).

I've always thought their bridles were a little "plain" for my taste (all flat, not raised at all), but I wouldn't fault them for leather or hardware quality.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

1 members found this post helpful.

I have their breastcollar and love it -- super durable, been worn to death for at least three years, still cleans up new, even the elastic. Looks nice, solid leather, good stitching.

I almost feel like they maybe made by Bartville?? Since they have a leather business down the road in the old store..

I found an incredibly soft bridle that was padded in hunter green at the Pa horse expo. Turned out it was a Tory bridle. I couldn't get it out of my head and ended up walking past it 3 times before caving and buying it. It's my favorite schooling bridle.

I have a set of Tory rubber reins and I really like them.

I have their green padded halters and matching leather leads. Love their products, imcludimg the hunter greenon oakbark leather belt I bought to match my halters!

I think very good. I've seen the breastplates hold up forever and bought the blue padded halters as gifts and they are holding up super well and look very elegant
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I have their stirrup leathers and I had a halter... love their stuff!

Great stuff. I have their breastcollar and I think my plaited gag reins are Tory (which were WAY nicer than the other couple of brands I looked at). Have had lots of halters by them, too.

I have a Tory Leather Hunting Breastplate that I've used heavily for the past 15 years.

Still cleans up nicely and is my main breastplate for hunting and trail riding.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I just found a bridle of theirs that looks interesting. Blurb says they are an American company using American leather. It's much more expensive than the Bartville bridles but it does come with reins.

Anyone know anything about them? Are they just another Bartville disguise?
    Which bridle did you find? I may be able to help here. I just happened across this in my google alerts. I work for Tory here in Williamsport, PA. We use Wickett and Craig Leather located in Curwensville, PA.

Thanks for the kind comments in the replys, we strive for good quality.

I'm a leather snob, and Tory leather meets most of my criteria. My only criticism is that the edges could be slightly smoother to the touch. It takes oil nicely, doesn't stretch, and their hardware is solid
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Vote yes.
    Have the breastplate- 9 yrs
    Bridle w/ green padding-6 yrs
    Halter w/ green padding-6 yrs
    Except for the halter the equipment is used 4x weekly for schooling & 2 shows monthly over the winter, 3x monthly spring/fall.

I bought the Tory Hunt Sandwich bag for a Xmas present for a friend that hunts... it was REALLY nice! ( and about half the price of other makers, too)