The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Julie WInkel

I have an opportunity to clinic with Julie Winkel. Just wondering if any of you have ridden with, and or, clinic-ed with her?

Her style of teaching, etc. TIA

Julie is an exceptional horsewoman and is a wealth of knowledge as a clinician. She sits on committees responsible for advancing the ideals of equitation and will offer a great insight not only into offering the best improvements you and your horse can make but also understand the modern judging system.
    She is respected and admired by everyone that I have met who have had the opportunity to clinic with her. How lucky for you to have a clinic that you can participate !

2 members found this post helpful.

I rode with her in November. I really enjoyed her teaching style. She was really good about helping rides through any issues they were having in the jumping and flat. I felt she was a perfect balance between the GM school of thought and something more modern. Make sure you know how to hold two reins if use such a bit and to adjust your stirrups the proper way. I rode in a jumper focused section and had a lot of fun. She talked about things to look for in a course walk and we rode our course with the old fault system. So make sure you are actively thinking while you're riding. I didn't get to see the hunter type groups so I can't comment on what they did.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you have the opportunity to clinic with Julie, take it. She's an incredible horsewoman and has so much to share. I was lucky enough to be a part of a clinic where she gave a sort of seminar on conformation and how it relates to the horse's mechanics on Friday night. She could look at most horses in the groups and know what their struggles would be before she saw them trot, it was really incredible.

I was riding a very green jumper and was amazed to see how he came along in just two days. She has great intuition about horses and her exercises, while they seem simple, do require a lot of thought and attention from the rider.

She was very encouraging and insightful and it was such a privilege to be able to learn from her. Really one of the most constructive clinics I've participated in, alongside Greg Best.

I love taking clinics with Julie, she is truly a thoughtful and knowledgeable instructor. I have ridden with her five times now and have learned new things every time. Be sure to have well-fitted tack, know the correct name of your bit, and have a clear understanding of why each piece of tack is being used.

She starts the flat work by having the horse stretch out on a loose rein because it gives them the opportunity to take in all of their surroundings and become comfortable and ready to work.

I began taking clinics with her when I first got my recent horse, and she has helped a lot in continuing the progress of my horse's education by providing an outside perspective.

Have fun!

Thank you everyone, I'm excited!