The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We deal with feral horse populations on our Outer Banks, as well. They are managed. While many people are familiar with the Banker ponies, there is actually another group of ponies living on the Rachel Carson Preserve across from Beaufort, NC. They are not Banker ponies but the remnant of a herd of various farm animals left on the island/town marsh area across from town. Mid century (40s-50s) a man took cows, pigs, and horses to the area and left them to graze. He returned for the hogs & cows, but left the horses. They are definitely not indigenous. The herd is managed by the staff at the Rachel Carson Preserve. The preserve is over 2500 acres which sounds like an awful lot for just 30-40 small horses but most of it is salt marsh. If the horses weren't managed...imagine the damage they would do. There are indigenous species - some rare - who come first. Migratory birds must be protected first, as well.

While I love to see the beautiful images of the mustangs and my pseudo-Banker ponies at the Preserve, we can't allow them to take priority over the indigenous critters. There's just no easy answer to any of this that will make everyone happy.

2 members found this post helpful.

I do not support ferral horses any more than I would support packs of roaming ferral dogs.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    So what about deer.? Suppose we should round them all up too.
    Well I suppose the BLM could issue hunting permits and let people shoot the horses??

“In the past two years, four horses have been struck and killed by vehicles, and community complaints submitted to the BLM have ranged from concern for the safety of residents’ children, to stallions fighting with domestic horses through fences. In all complaints, there were safety concerns and property damage."
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    The attitudes expressed here surprise me. Please read Mustang by Deanne Stillman if you want to know the true history of the mustang and its place in the building of this country. These horses deserve better than holding pens and slaughter.
    What is it you suggest doing with them then, if not rounding them up??
    I say this as someone with three adopted mustangs out my back door, and as someone who has hiked the Colorado and Wyoming areas that still have (had) roaming herds and observed them quite closely.

Do you realize what a cruel b!tc& Mother Nature is?
    You would rather them overpopulate, starve and travel miles to get decent water, be hit by cars while trying to find decent forage,or be taken down by the remaining predators and likely die a slow, agonizing death while being eaten alive, or slowly of starvation, or dehydration?
    Ever seen an older mare with a huge knee hobble painfully to try to keep up with the rest of them and wonder how long she was going to make it and if her foal was old enough to make it without her?
    Ever found the body of one who obviously died a painful death from the scramble marks around the corpse?

That's what they face every day: it's not all "Spirit" out there.

I am quite sure mine thought those horrible holding pens were great: room service, no worries, lounging in the sun, a bit of a shake up on occasion when the feet need trimmed or they needed vaccinated, and back to waiting for room service.
    Oh, and by the way, those horrible BLM employees were caring and concerned about the homes the horses were going to, and knew the cute habits and personalities of every horse we looked at; quite the devils they were

I suggest while reading your books on the majestic mustang you also do a few internet search, and find the pictures of those hit by cars, the horrific injuries those stallions can cause eachother, and the video of the stud killing a foal, just to balance your perspective.

4 members found this post helpful.

I think we should keep some healthy herds, maybe not this particular one, for historical preservation.

Maybe not hunted out on the range (relative to any possible overpopulation problems), but brought in to a special "house" set up specifically for certified humane slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Maybe not hunted out on the range (relative to any possible overpopulation problems), but brought in to a special "house" set up specifically for certified humane slaughter.
    BUT THAT IS ALWAYS ABUSIVE!!!!11!!!eleven!!!1!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I've always supported and will always support the prospect of humanely slaughtering mustangs. They live rough lives and a humane death is much better than slow starvation, getting hit by a car, or dying of an infection. I would have no problem with rounding up and adopting out/slaughtering all of the mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    What is it you suggest doing with them then, if not rounding them up??
    I say this as someone with three adopted mustangs out my back door, and as someone who has hiked the Colorado and Wyoming areas that still have (had) roaming herds and observed them quite closely.

Do you realize what a cruel b!tc& Mother Nature is?
    You would rather them overpopulate, starve and travel miles to get decent water, be hit by cars while trying to find decent forage,or be taken down by the remaining predators and likely die a slow, agonizing death while being eaten alive, or slowly of starvation, or dehydration?
    Ever seen an older mare with a huge knee hobble painfully to try to keep up with the rest of them and wonder how long she was going to make it and if her foal was old enough to make it without her?
    Ever found the body of one who obviously died a painful death from the scramble marks around the corpse?

That's what they face every day: it's not all "Spirit" out there.

I am quite sure mine thought those horrible holding pens were great: room service, no worries, lounging in the sun, a bit of a shake up on occasion when the feet need trimmed or they needed vaccinated, and back to waiting for room service.
    Oh, and by the way, those horrible BLM employees were caring and concerned about the homes the horses were going to, and knew the cute habits and personalities of every horse we looked at; quite the devils they were

I suggest while reading your books on the majestic mustang you also do a few internet search, and find the pictures of those hit by cars, the horrific injuries those stallions can cause eachother, and the video of the stud killing a foal, just to balance your perspective.
    THIS x 10