The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default R.I.P My Prerogative " Mac"

This morning my forever heart horse passed away . Mac was the quintessential TB. He was bred to race but after 2 races was deemed "too slow". I bought him at Delaware Park as a 2yo resale project. That project lasted over 30 yrs. From the track he began his eventing career, then low level jumpers. When my then 12 yo daughter's injured pony became a very expensive broodmare ,we threw her on Mac. That was the start of a very successful partnership in the H/Js and Eq.s. When Maia finished her Jr. years , he became my horse again . We trail rode at Farhill and showed a bit. He was forever ready to do his job, whatever it was at the time.This horse never refused a jump and always did his job honestly and consistently.He was never lame in the 20+ years we showed him. No hocks were injected: no drugs were used to give him an edge, EVER! Mac was the best horse to teach you to ride a course properly. Just clicked into auto pilot and his lovely rhytm got you to the jump and over perfectly.. he was the ultimate athlete and teacher. Mac will be so terribly missed by all of his family and "fans". I feel so blessed to have had him for so long. He will always be one of the most important men in my life. Godspeed my Mac.

2 members found this post helpful.

What a lovely tribute. So sorry for your loss.

He sounds like a very, very special horse. I'm so sorry.

Hugs to you--
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

Godspeed Mac. I am so very sorry for your loss of Mac. What an amazing tribute to a GREAT Thb. Kudos to you for cultivating his talent and his great soul. Imagine how all of that could have been exploited and lost if he had not landed with you and your family? Bless you for taking the wonderful care you did of him and keeping him for his entire long life. He was clearly a once in a lifetime horse. You were also a once in a lifetime owner for such a grand horse. Please share some photos of him when you can. I would love to see him. If only some things could last forever. This story made me cry but they were tears that made me remember the devotion of our grand Thbs.

I'm so sorry to here about your loss. He sounds like he was a very wonderful horse.

I'm so sorry for your loss, how wonderful to have had him for such a long time in your family.

So sorry about Mac. Hugs to you!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

I am very sorry for your loss. I love me a great, slow TB. What a beautiful tribute to a clearly amazing animal who gave you so many years of joy. RIP sweet Mac.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

So sorry for your loss. I'm sure he enjoyed his life with you and your daughter, too. Thoroughbreds are all clas ALL the way. RIP Mac.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

So sorry for your loss - he was quite obviously a member of the family, and how blessed you were to have him for so long.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.