The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default IHSA Alumni Northern California

I'm wondering if anyone in the Northern California area is interested in riding IHSA Alumni for the 2013-2014 season.

Zone 8 Region 1 has not offered alumni classes for the past couple years as far as I'm aware, but perhaps if we get a group together this spring/summer they may be willing to consider it. It'd be ideal if we could get at least three people (myself included) to commit to 4-5 shows for the season. Last year most of the shows were held at Stanford, with other ones at Davis, Santa Cruz, and Berkley.

Alumni classes are available to students who showed in IHSA but are no longer eligible to ride as undergrads (graduated, 5th year senior, etc.). There is a jumping and a flat class. I think the requirements for jumping are that you either showed novice over fences as an undergrad, or have since received 12 months consecutive over fences training.

I've been in the Bay Area for a year and a half now going to law school and would love to continue participating in and supporting IHSA. I'd also love to meet some other horsey people in the area! Please let me know if you are interested!

I'm a trainer in the Portola Valley area and an IHSA Alumna. I doubt that I qualify much (or that it would be fair for me to show) but I'd be willing to help if you needed any help or schooling. I work for a large lesson program and have lots of IHSA-esque horses and a thorough knowledge of the competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by sp56 View Post
    I'm a trainer in the Portola Valley area and an IHSA Alumna. I doubt that I qualify much (or that it would be fair for me to show) but I'd be willing to help if you needed any help or schooling. I work for a large lesson program and have lots of IHSA-esque horses and a thorough knowledge of the competitions.
    Pros are eligible actually. Bob Cacchione himself did an alumni class at a horse show so there would be enough riders for it.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

I tried to participate before but nothing was really happening with it when I inquired (probably 10 years ago..). I would be interested in participating if it was organized. I showed up through Open flat/fences and Western(!) in 1988-1990.

Who is organizing it?

I hope you guys get this going! I am a UCSD alum that lives in western Massachusetts now and I'm in my second year of showing alumni... It's awesome- the price is right and the people are great! I even made it to nationals last year, which I never did as an undergrad and it was a really special experience. Good luck!,

Thanks ssandstr! I'm glad to hear you enjoy riding alumni, I hope we can get this going too!

Who is organizing it?
    I'm happy to be the "organizer," PM me if you want my personal contact info. Right now my plan is to see what interest there is from alums in the area and then I will contact the region president/alumni rep about actually holding the alumni classes. My hope is that if we have enough people to commit to shows, the region will be willing to hold the classes. As far as practice sessions, it depends on people's current riding situations, however sp56's offer is incredibly generous and "team" practice sessions could be really fun. I've also heard of regions where alumni's host a show, its not necessary but definitely an option (I for one really enjoyed putting on shows as an undergrad). If anyone has any other ideas please let me know!

sp56 - as a previous poster said, there is no restriction on professionals participating. I personally wouldn't mind at all! I'd love to have you involved in any way you feel comfortable and have the time to commit to. Also, thank you so much for offering to help with schooling! That could be a really valuable resource, some of the schools with smaller programs might even appreciate your help.

Default *UPDATE*

I e-mailed the region president and she responded that there are basically two issues with alumni, 1) riders committing to the shows, and 2) having enough horses at the shows.

That said, she stated in her response, "if we could find enough alumni to commit to steadily filling classes to a reasonable amount AND they would commit to helping provide horses to all the shows, I can't see how the other schools would object as that addresses both of the issues."

All in all think her requests are very reasonable. I really hope we can get a group together, and maybe some connections to help the students get more horses at their shows.

Howdy Would like to be on your list, although I doubt I'll be showing anytime soon (preggo - due in August!). However, I am very familiar with Z8R1 and competing Alumni in the region for a number of years, awhile back (even qualified for & competed at Nationals as an alum). I'll PM you with my info.

Good luck in getting it going! As stated, the hardest part is getting enough riders committed to enough shows. You really need to have 4-5 riders going to pretty much every IHSA show during the season. You need 3 riders for the class to count, and it takes winning 4 shows (7pts + 4 = 28pts) to qualify for Regionals (which is often a "free birth" directly to Zones/Nationals in alumni).

It's really fun - and a great way to show for the casual rider - but is a bummer if you plan on showing and only 2 riders show up. And Z8R1 is already a bit strapped for horses, so you want to be consistent in order for the teams to want to have enough horses for it.

A plus: When I was showing Alumni, I brought MY horse to use at the IHSA shows, with the stipulation that he had to be available for the alumni classes. He was capable (and a favorite) of many of the Open O/F riders, so bringing him meant that they got another nice horse into the horse draw pool, and I had the possible chance of showing on my horse. Bonus!

If the alums going can commit to bringing horses that will really increase the interest by the schools to make it work.

If anyone has questions about IHSA alumni / rules / etc, don't hesitate to ping me.

An after thought: I'd suggest you reach out to the existing teams, as well. When I was doing alumni actively, a couple of the gals were actually 5th years still in undergrad - they had already shown IHSA for 4 yrs so were no longer eligible for regular IHSA, but they were still on their school teams / still students, so they rode in the alumni classes instead.

And don't forget that you can show Alumni in any region, regardless of where you went to undergrad. You just have had to show at ONE ihsa show at any point in your undergrad career to qualify for IHSA alumni classes.