The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default County Conquest vs Innovation

I'm looking at 2 used saddles for my husband right now - a County Conquest and an Innovation. He's about 6' tall. Both are the correct seat size, tree width and panel configurations that our fitter has recommended. They are also both the same price.

For those of you that have tried both models:
    - Which do you think fits a guy rider best?
    - Which does better for riders with long legs?
    - Which fits high withered horses better?
    - What are some of the differences you've noticed between the 2 models and which do you prefer?

Trying to decide which one to go for. He's riding in my stabilizer currently, but it's way too small for him. I think a stabilizer could work in his size, too, but it wouldn't have a forward enough flap for him to raise his stirrups enough for bigger jumps (which aren't happening now, but he hopes to jump bigger eventually). It also doesn't have quite as much wither clearance as I'd like to see on his horse.
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

If he likes the Stabilizer, he may prefer the Conquest which will sit much more similarly than the Innovation.

Check the serial numbers with County to find out the differences in how the tree & panels will fit the horse (note the Innovation tree fits much wider than the Stabilizer/Conquest tree, it will also feel different to the rider as the tree is more U-shaped).

If it seems that both saddles will fit the horse, I'd ship both saddles in for a trial - of course, your DH may prefer one while the horse prefers the other

For a high withered horse, County came out with the Sensation - depending on how narrow/high/sensitive etc ...

Is there a County rep in your area? after test riding all the models, your DH may surprise with his preferences ...

I would say the conquest is going to have the most forward flap (bought my hubby one off of ebay in a long forward flap) but the seat may be slightly deeper than the innovation.

Mmm....I don't know about that. I liked the Conquest better than the Innovation because it was flatter....I think (I don't remember now, but I know a couple of things I rode in were deep for my taste and the Conquest wasn't).

Both saddles will be appropriate for eventing. In my experience, taller riders generally prefer the Conquest. I'm an Innovation girl, personally!

Well I ride most of my horses in a stabilizer xtr (my narrow tree) and I do have a saddle that has a conquest flap with a stabilizer seat (custom saddle) so I guess you could say I like a flat seat saddle I found the conquest to be a bit deeper than the innovation but that is just me.

My hubby's conquest feels way different than my custom saddle with the flat seat and the conquest flap. I just feel like I sit funny in it but he loves it. He wanted the sticky leather...but hey now I bought the darn thing and it was on ebay very reasonable with the regular leather.

I LOVE the XTR leather so much I am not sure I could ever go back to the non-sticky version.

I got my Conquest a month or two ago.. it has a very forward flap and the seat is very open. I have long-ish legs, and like to ride a bit short as well, and the Conquest holds my leg very nicely. It also fits my Mt. Everest-withered TB nicely.

Our fitter was actually scheduled to come out last weekend so he could try the innovation, sensation and conquest models to decide which one he likes best, but that was postponed. Then of course I instantly found 2 used counties in his size for a great price - but we don't know which model he prefers yet. It's hard to find an 18.5" used, so after emailing the fitter with the serial #s we decided to buy one then have her adjust it when she comes out. If it doesn't work I'm confident we can resell either without a loss. The innovation seller offers a trial, but I'm leaning towards the conquest (w/ no trial offered) and don't want it to be gone if we try the innovation first and he doesn't like it. Seems like it's easier to find used innovations than conquests. Unfortunately the Sensation is out of our range because our budget limits us to used, even though it would probably fit the horse best!

Anyway, the fitter says her experience has been that guys tend to like Conquests because there is less of a set balance point that they're locked into. And looking at it, I think it will fit his leg better with the more forward flaps.

His old saddle (that doesn't fit this horse) is an Ainsley Chester XC that he really likes. It has super forward flaps but he struggles sometimes to keep his lower leg back in it. It has a deeper seat than my stabilizer, but it doesn't lock you in like an innovation. Personally I love innovations but my leg is much shorter (I am only 5' tall). I like how the innovation locks me in, but he's used to my stabilizer seat now so the flatter conquest may be his preference. The other thing that makes me lean towards the conquest for him is that it has the xtr leather that I love on mine. The innovation is in lovely condition but has the smooth leather.

Oh, the Conquest we are looking at is stamped as a low forward flap - has anyone tried that option? it sounds like it may be a good thing, the fwd flap could give him room for his long leg, then set a bit lower it may help keep his lower leg underneath him, too?
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio

Quote Originally Posted by podrazal View Post
    I got my Conquest a month or two ago.. it has a very forward flap and the seat is very open. I have long-ish legs, and like to ride a bit short as well, and the Conquest holds my leg very nicely. It also fits my Mt. Everest-withered TB nicely.
    That sounds perfect! What size and panel configuration is on yours?
    Blacktree Farm
    Blacktree Studio

Here are some pics of my hubby (he is 6'2") riding in a 19" county conquest with a long forward flap
    http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6117/6...b603585d47.jpg
    http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6056/6...63a74427dd.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

Mine is an 18" seat (I'm 5'8", but long thigh).. not positive of the flap configuration but believe it's long forward.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bought the Conquest! Fingers crossed that both Hubby and the horse like it when it arrives. His birthday is next Thursday, hopefully he'll get to try it by then
    Blacktree Farm
    Blacktree Studio

The Conquest arrived last night! It fits hubby's leg perfectly. I'm really glad we went with the more forward flaps for him. He said it was one of his best rides ever, so I think he likes it. His horse moved happily forward in it, too. So we have success! Now I just need to find an innovation for me, lol.
    Blacktree Farm
    Blacktree Studio

2 members found this post helpful.

I just got my innovation!!! I HEART it!!! So comfy And Fleck was jumping like a fiend in it!

So glad your hubby liked his