The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile AQHA people, care to critique this pedigree?

My little rescue filly:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/seberts+smokin+barbie

I'm also trying to figure out how tall her dam was. Anyone know where I can find out that info?

My girl is a little palomino, she may end up being a roan. We'll see when she sheds out. Any input as to what you'd guess her personality to be, what she would excel at, etc, would be great!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

She looks like she's got some good ranch breeding.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Quote Originally Posted by hasahorse View Post
    She looks like she's got some good ranch breeding.
    What bloodlines do you see that indicate that? I know halter lines, and some racing lines, but am completely uneducated on ranch QHs.

All that good old QH foundation: Poco Bueno, Dry Doc, Leo, Vandy, Skip, Hancock... don't see anything that I recognize as popular today (but I am NOT a QH person or all that into current trends). And I'd guess (PURELY guess) that the dam's in that 15.h range.

Have fun with her!
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

1 members found this post helpful.

Boy, that's a blast from past and a pretty traditional cow horse pedigree from waaay back. Not familiar with any of the closer up relatives but I'd guess you got a very sensible little gal there that will be eager to please.

Also guess 15 handish and staying a palomino.

If she does stay palomino they do have at least one registry so, if you have the QH papers, you could look into double registry to enhance future resale efforts.

Do you call her Barbie? How cute for a little palomino. Perfect match for the right young lady wanting a good all around type.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

all older bloodlines. Working bloodlines. Leo, watch joe jack and dry doc, mostly cutting

Thanks for the input everyone! I actually call her "Fame". She definitely seems to be a pretty level-headed little horse. She's pretty badly stunted from being malnourished and starved, but hoping she'll start growing again here soon and get up to her full potential!

Oh, and she has a forever home with me, and I'm game for whatever she ends up excelling in.

cutting bloodlines are not noted for being tall. My daughter has a cutting bred gelding that is about 14.2. However, he's built like a tank and can sit right down in the dirt when he wants. Very, very powerful and athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    cutting bloodlines are not noted for being tall. My daughter has a cutting bred gelding that is about 14.2. However, he's built like a tank and can sit right down in the dirt when he wants. Very, very powerful and athletic.
    I'm hoping my little girl will fill out like that! My other QH has a decent amount of halter bloodlines, so she's a very big girl. It would be nice if they could share some tack!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    My little rescue filly:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/seberts+smokin+barbie

I'm also trying to figure out how tall her dam was. Anyone know where I can find out that info?

My girl is a little palomino, she may end up being a roan. We'll see when she sheds out. Any input as to what you'd guess her personality to be, what she would excel at, etc, would be great!
    With palominos (and some other colors) the color of the horse's eyelashes will be the body color. You should be able to see if she will be a light or more golden palomino color.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    With palominos (and some other colors) the color of the horse's eyelashes will be the body color. You should be able to see if she will be a light or more golden palomino color.
    Interesting, I never knew that! Her eyelashes are white, or maybe VERY light cream.

Here's a picture of her cute little face:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2747/fameface.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8718/famelook.jpg

I know nothing, except she is a cute little stinker!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Interesting, I never knew that! Her eyelashes are white, or maybe VERY light cream.

Here's a picture of her cute little face:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2747/fameface.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8718/famelook.jpg
    Awww, youngin's are so fun to look at! Those eyelashes look a little darker than her winter coat but that should be your body color when she sheds out this spring.

Judging by her head profile in that second pic? She favors the foundation lineage-check the shallow mouth, short nose with smallish nostril compared to some breeds (oldtimers say it keeps the dust out when trailing cattle), big cheek/jowl and small ear. Looks very much like the King breds and she has a bunch of that on top. Google a horse called Poco Bueno, she has that same head. PB was an own son of King (one of the first to be accepted into the AQHA registry) and a very prolific and popular sire back in the 50s and early 60s.

If the rest follows that, she will be a stout little thing and pretty agile/catty quick but sensible. Also hard to fit for bits.

We want a picture in about 90 days when she has shed out, beefed up and can loose the blanket.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Judging by her head profile in that second pic? She favors the foundation lineage-check the shallow mouth, short nose with smallish nostril (oldtimers say it keeps the dust out when trailing cattle), big cheek/jowl and small ear. Looks very much like the King breds and she has a bunch of that on top.

If the rest follows that, she will be a stout little thing and pretty agile/catty quick but sensible. Also hard to fit for bits.

We want a picture in about 90 days when she has shed out, beefed up and can loose the blanket.
    Good to know! Her sire is advertised as "98% foundation"... I don't know a whole lot about foundation QHs (except that I like them!).

Any suggestions on a bit when the time comes? She has a lot of catching up to do growth-wise, so it probably won't be until she's coming 4 at the earliest that we'd start thinking of saddle breaking.

And I will certainly post pictures once she's looking better!

Looking at that pedigree again, she has a ton of color on there...lots of palomino, buckskin, dun, grulla and a few greys. Our genetically expert color breed fans should be able to tell you more.

Bits...well the Western catalogues and shops will have the widths you need...something like 4 3/4". Usually you will need to set a jointed snaffle high or it looks like they about spit it out, it can hit the teeth. And thick mouthpieces are out. Because it is so shallow, you will probably find a ported style is going to sit better-thats one reason why so many of the Western bits are ported.

With English tack, you may have to go Pony or Ayrab but the small nose and big jowls mean the browband won't be long enough...ahhhh memories. But she looks like a fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Looking at that pedigree again, she has a ton of color on there...lots of palomino, buckskin, dun, grulla and a few greys. Our genetically expert color breed fans should be able to tell you more.

Bits...well the Western catalogues and shops will have the widths you need...something like 4 3/4". Usually you will need to set a jointed snaffle high or it looks like they about spit it out, it can hit the teeth. And thick mouthpieces are out. Because it is so shallow, you will probably find a ported style is going to sit better-thats one reason why so many of the Western bits are ported.

With English tack, you may have to go Pony or Ayrab but the small nose and big jowls mean the browband won't be long enough...ahhhh memories. But she looks like a fun project.
    Hm, I've actually never used anything ported, so that might be a new adventure for me!

Yeah she does have a little bitty head, but the QH jowls are definitely there. Her ears are the size of a mini's, they're so cute!

She's definitely a fun little girl, and I can't wait to see her continue to gain weight, grow, and bloom!

I love me some Hancock horses!

Have fun with her -- she's a dandy.