The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Yeah I have a CWD that has been fitted to him.
    ahhh but did you let HIM choose the saddle?
    FP had 4 saddles that "fit" - according to the fitters - according to him, only ONE saddle was suitable (he hated the CWD, loved the Stabilizer - guess which saddle we special ordered so it would be "perfect" )
    Maybe your guy is being that particular about the girth.

I'd be inclined to investigate the chiro/equine therapy.

Have you asked the previous owners about this?

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    ahhh but did you let HIM choose the saddle?
    FP had 4 saddles that "fit" - according to the fitters - according to him, only ONE saddle was suitable (he hated the CWD, loved the Stabilizer - guess which saddle we special ordered so it would be "perfect" )
    Maybe your guy is being that particular about the girth.

I'd be inclined to investigate the chiro/equine therapy.

Have you asked the previous owners about this?
    LOL Yeah I for sure picked it for my rump.

More investigation required for sure. That Gibaud girth looks interesting.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Kissing spines can produce this reaction.

The rib out thing is very real. I had a horse come to me for training because one of the things he would do is collapse when walked forward after he was saddled. The vet/osteopath said it was a rib out, worked on him, he visably became relaxed afterward and stopped the collapsing thing.

I have had ribs out too and they are painfully annoying until my craniosacral therapist puts them back!

You should get a TTouch person or craniosacral therapist to work on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Time View Post
    Kissing spines can produce this reaction.

That's scary. I sure hope that's not what I am dealing with. He is only 5 and the good thing is he gets swelling at the girth area where his sternum is... so lets hope that's the issue....

I for sure will have the vet/chiro out when he returns from the show.

I am just going through this with my horse. The saddle was fittesd in August and the last few months it has slowly gotten worse. I had my chiro out and she said it was teh saddle so I had the fitter out. His back had changed so much that it was now pinching him! So I am having it reflocked... I am waiting with baited breath to get it back and hope it works... I would have the fit checked again....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

That's scary. I sure hope that's not what I am dealing with. He is only 5 and the good thing is he gets swelling at the girth area where his sternum is... so lets hope that's the issue....

I for sure will have the vet/chiro out when he returns from the show.
    Don't tell me. He's chestnut? LOL. If I look at my horse wrong sometimes, he is like, "OUCH!"

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Don't tell me. He's chestnut? LOL. If I look at my horse wrong sometimes, he is like, "OUCH!"

LOL - ahhhhh yeah he IS chestnut. My first chestnut and I have heard stories about their sensitivity. Oh boy! And he has some TB blood too....

I see you a chestnut with "some TB blood" and raise you a full TB chestnut.

1 members found this post helpful.

Me, too! Why else do you think I read every post on this thread getting to yours?
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

And I call you a chestnut with FOUR huge white socks that you know will get scratches

When we have a girthy horse in the barn we normally tackle it by leaving a LOT of extra time for tacking up. Some of these types don't generally enjoy grooming much, and we will use the softest brushes or even just a rag to start off with, or maybe even give them a full on bath rather than just scrub and scrub.

We try to make the items that will be placed on the horse's back and belly warm--pads and girth will come out of the tack room, or the dryer, or we'll even pre-heat them by placing them on top of another horse for a few minutes!

When it comes time to put the tack on, until the horse gets used to this routine, we will have one person standing nearby with a hay cart and we will encourage the horse to nibble on it and continue to do so while we quietly (not gingerly, but we don't slam it down, either) put the saddle in place. We won't tighten the girth much at all, just fasten it so things won't slip, then let the horse keep eating for a minute or two more, then we'll put the bridle in place. At this point if the saddle needs to be moved forward, we will gently unfasten the girth and just as gently move the tack and refasten. Normally, the second time a girth is handled a horse won't mind as much as he did the first time...so we just act normal, we try not to react to ears back or teeth chomping in the air, and again take our time and just fasten the girth without tightening it. At this point the sight of the hay cart usually takes the horse's attention off the girth...so we may move it closer as we walk the horse forward, and then fasten the girth up the rest of the way while the horse is walking (this can often be a two person job at first). Not many mind the girth being done up while they are walking and the tack has been pre-warmed.

I might at this point put the horse back in the cross tie for another few minutes before going on to the mounting block or I might keep walking him out.

Once the horse stops anticipating a 'rush' at tack time, it normally won't express as much concern about being girthed up. Like anything else, it takes time, but looking at the process from the horse's point of view makes it easier to come up with solutions to this problem.

And I call you a chestnut with FOUR huge white socks that you know will get scratches
    We gots three socks.

I didn't read all the posts, but my friend's horse gets girthy when he's got his first or second rib out (an obnoxiously regular occurrence with him).

Another gets girthy when ulcers flare up.

I raise you a chestnut TB MARE!

Who, FWIW, can get pretty girthy but not as bad as your boy. She pins her ears and will occasionally come back to bite to which she gets a nice pop in the nose. I just go hole by hole.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

1 members found this post helpful.

If you have ever had a rib "out" yourself, you would have NO DOUBT that that condition could cause huge problems for a riding horse.
    I had chronic "out ness" under my left shoulder blade for years. when out, it felt like a bread knife was sawing away between my rib age and shoulder blade. Finally I figured out that my riding posture was causing it. I changed my shoulder and hand position on that side and no longer have the issue.
    I cannot imagine having something strapped across that part of my anatomy when I was haing problems. It would have been excruciating!

Thanks for all your thoughts on this....

I did have the chiro out Wednesday and he did say some ribs were out. When he worked on him my horse was very painful and vet said to be careful as he adjusted him because he warned it would be a bit painful. And he was. Just to touch the rib areas he was very unhappy about it. And this is an extremely sweet horse too.... After adjusted horse was clearly more comfortable. Way cool.

He has been much better girthing but we are still careful, go slowly and walk him. You can tell he still has more healing to do and I would guess this won't fix overnight but now we are looking for other girth options.

My trainer recommended I try the string mohair girth so I am searching on line for one of those. I also like that comfort girth but I think I will try the string one and keep up with the chiro for now and see how it plays out.

Do you know where to get a nice quality mohair girth?

If the string girth doesn't work I will get the comfort girth. That looks super nice but almost 300.00 Sadly I just paid 350 for the Edgewood sheepskin girth

I think I can still use the sheepskin in the show ring because I don't think you should show in the mohair? Or does anyone know about that?

I did see the mohair in black and brown - or just go tan color and I can be ole school...

Thanks.

I'd try one of these before you spring for the $300 option. My girthy/rip out inclined mare does really well in it and you know SmartPak will give a full refund if it doesn't work out.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/profes...x?cm_vc=Search

I brought my post back from the past because I am still having trouble with my poor horse.

He is doing much better since the chiro - but tried a mohair girth and no luck. He was stiff with this girth and the saddle slipped back.

I broke down and just ordered the Mikmar comfort girth... PRICEY uggg... I sure hope it works if not I guess it will be on ebay.

I notice when the girth is tight my horse moves stiff in the beginning. I really feel it's his muscles where his sternum is. He is very narrow there or maybe his back. I am going to have him looked at today again by the vet....

Just feel so bad for him because he's not trying to be a bad horse... he just hurts someplace.

Any other ideas would be really appreciated!!! Desperate to help my horse.

This will sound wacky, but my horse is always extra-girthy (to the point of a panic attack and rodeo broncing) when his feet are bothering him more than usual (pedal osteitis). We haven't really figured out why but there is a correlation (perhaps his stance chances to relieve pressure, which causes tightness across the sternum? that's all I can come up with).

I also have used treats with great success - I put the girth on the saddle, then ask him to stretch down and take a treat and relax. He gets one as he's walking forward with each hole I tighten, too. Getting him to stretch his head down and relax a little seems to help.

That's all I got. :/
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.