The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My gelding was $300. In a big herd of TBs, I liked the way he cantered (away from me lol) and he loaded, so pretty much the reason why he came home with me. He's turned out to just be great. Fun, enough attitude not to be boring but not a mean bone in his body. We've mostly just been putzing around but this year we plan on doing a little BN here and there

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ps6754d884.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...eritagepbn.jpg
    Team Ginger

1 members found this post helpful.

OMG, Lauren, you even did cute scrapbook pictures ! Cute ! Is it raining. Again, by any chance, and you're stuck indoors going stir-crazy? Again.

(At least I have saddles to flock )

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    OMG, Lauren, you even did cute scrapbook pictures ! Cute ! Is it raining. Again, by any chance, and you're stuck indoors going stir-crazy? Again.

How could you tell?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    Is it raining. Again, by any chance, and you're stuck indoors going stir-crazy? Again.

Does a bear poop in the woods? Someone told me last week we've had 20" of rain in the last 3 months. That's almost 1/2 our annual rain fall. I wish somebody would do something about it...

eponacowgirl didn't include my CL husband-horse she found for me. No one rides him (except that time I randomly threw him on a trailer for a tadpole stadium and xc school with EC's students that he was a total star for.) He runs to the gate every morning bringing the rest of the herd with him so I don't have to catch the other horses. Then he poops in his stall in one pile that he doesn't walk in, so stall cleaning is a breeze. That's pretty perfect.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hmmm, I've only purchased two for less than $1K.

One was an OTTB that just didn't work out. He seemed to have physical issues but the vets didn't find them, so it felt like he had mental issues.

The other was a FAB pony that I bought at an auction. I wasn't even intending to buy that day... it was a QH bazaar and I went along to see a friend's trade stand. Her daughter was with me and was a bad influence! "Let's just go look at the auction horses... Oh look, they have some TBs and ponies... maybe the prices will be good... maybe you should get a bidding card... let's just watch them go through... I know you need another mouth to feed like a hole in the head... but that one's cute... yes, you should bid on him... put your hand up... another $100 won't hurt... PUT YOUR HAND UP" (as she physically raises my hand)

Bought: an unbroken 4 year old pony of "sport breeding" (unknown) who was whinnying his head off, for $500. Luckily I had $500 in my bank account. But I hadn't accounted for the auctioneer's fee and tax. A little creative bank-account-managing later... he was mine. We didn't know if he would load in the trailer! Never mind, we had 3 hours of going home, picking up the trailer, and coming back, to contemplate that!

The sweetheart stood while my friend gave me a leg-up on him bareback in the stall at the grounds (smart... really smart!) and he loaded straight on the trailer, too. His coat was awful so we decided to clip him as soon as he got home. Short detour to friend's place to pick up tranq and a 2nd set of clippers. The two of us tag-teamed body-clipping him and in under 2 hours, he looked like a decent fellow. But he had lice!!

That pony was a great buy. Link to photos

He took to long-lining, riding, and jumping right away. He was a very good jumper and got rave reviews from Pat Burgess (who has trained Lucinda Green). He went on to a family with 3 girls and he absolutely takes care of them. They keep in touch and he's won many awards with them!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Oooh I'll play!

My $1 horse "D" 11 yr old, 17.3 hand Perch/TB

Summer 2011 (my first time on him)
    http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2d38cc0e.jpg

Spring/Summer 2012
    http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...ps67068d2b.jpg

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...ps33d0cd33.jpg
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Nice thread.....my favorite bargain horse was Duchess, who bought for 1K as a 10 yr old. She was a bad weaver and stall walker, but could jump the moon and was a star at everything she tried...trails, hunter paces, jumpers, dressage, eventing...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=82c669094d
    and now my newest horse, Lucky bought for $600 from Camelot Rescue (New Holland Auction)...super sweet, here we are under saddle:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&l=a0da90db1a:)
    Last edited by RSEventer; Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: corrected photo links

Maggie. Owner didnt want her anymore, too much I think. Paid about 1k. Best dressage scores ever. Including in teens. Just gave birth to a bay colt! By Linaro. All leg. Cant wait put her back to work!!
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Oh, not to forget Mopar. A 200 dollar find from craigslist. He was the steal of the century!
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

I got a FREE PONY!

And he's not even a pony. He's a tiny WB. I suppose the politically correct term for him is a Little Horse but I wouldn't call him that to his face.

You want before and after pics? You mean, like from last night and this morning, when he knocked down the middle fence rail, and hopped between the top and lower rails to go join his (unhappy) neighbor in his stall? Or would you like to see his stall/run before he arrived vs. how it looks now, with its curious archeology project of trenches and excavations, plus a series of double end snaps on every chain and gate? Or maybe just a few photos of his bucks from before I got him to compare with his most recent bucks?

And yes, I got this all for free!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I got a FREE PONY!

And he's not even a pony. He's a tiny WB. I suppose the politically correct term for him is a Little Horse but I wouldn't call him that to his face.

You want before and after pics? You mean, like from last night and this morning, when he knocked down the middle fence rail, and hopped between the top and lower rails to go join his (unhappy) neighbor in his stall? Or would you like to see his stall/run before he arrived vs. how it looks now, with its curious archeology project of trenches and excavations, plus a series of double end snaps on every chain and gate? Or maybe just a few photos of his bucks from before I got him to compare with his most recent bucks?

And yes, I got this all for free!
    I lost some of my coffee reading this Good thing he's so cute!

1 members found this post helpful.

JER-
    He is adorable! It's always the cute ones who are so naughty!

My current boy! I think my ex trainer wanted $2000, he was t worth a $1 but I had fallen in love with him so my family scraped together the $800 my husband talked her down too, and now he's mine Now he's worth the money, I've made him sound and he's happily competing away in whatever I want!

Don't be fooled, he is a OTTB LOL. He's just, well, happy. My current trainer was saying how she thinks OTTBs being chunky/fat/muscular (esp ones like him that crib and are prone to ulcers) means they are happy and relaxed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...0073147083.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...D5D01FFB15.jpg

Blugal: I'd have come home with that pony too!!! Talk about KEE-UTE!

Dressage rider (too chicken to jump) but I'll play:

I've been lucky in the bargain basement department. Of the six horses I"ve owned, only two didn't qualify (7yo green ArabX my dad bought me for 2k. Great horse, got him nice and broke, but our personalities didn't mesh so at the end of the day I moved him along and he sold to NY to be a foxhunter...chasing cows or jumping were his two favorite things, so he definitely had to go do one of them!). And well-broke 8yo OTTB with lotsa miles since the track, who sadly broke his leg six weeks later. $3500.

Horse #3 was another OTTB, $1k. Bought at the end of his 3yo year. Walked him around a roundpen the day after I got him home, took him to a clinic five days later after only walking and trotting him around at home. Dead quiet with an awesome mind. Got on without lunging, and onwards we went. Cantering in a group of 4 people at clinic, horse goes "Hm...I think I"ll trot now." Yeah, there's a reason he failed at the track. He had a fabulous mind, ponied toddlers around (all 16.3h of himself!), a bit neurotic (trainer was abusive tho, so he had a few pressure issues), but the sweetest horse I'll have ever had. Sadly he subscribed to the "suicide" theory and eventually managed it...at age 9.

Horse #4 was a Clyde/TB/QH who was given to me as a weanling. Fabulous little guy. Attitude and personality, but super save, kind, and LOVED people. He was started as a 3yo, bush rode and trail rode and just a blast to ride. Brought him to the city with me during his 5yo year, spent the summer showing at open shows, the highlight being a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ribbon in classes of 19ish horses. Was Sr champion at his last show that summer. Our next plan was to start some regular jumping (he loved it, and was the kind of horse I could have gained confidence on over fences), and lower level dressage shows...sadly colicked that Jan and I lost him.

Horse #5 is just like JER's..A WB masquerading as a PONY! Bought for $950 as a 2yo cause he was a whopping 14h. Now as a coming 5yo, he's about 15h. Maybe. Jury's still out on this guy - but if you put a bag over his head he's kinda cute, and he's even cuter when he's not travelling around like a giraffe . Under his resistant streak he's super quiet, so I really see kids horse in his future. Oh, and he wants to be a brave little eventer-pony. No kidding. 45 rides, having an interesting lunging session...and at the end I Decide to toss the flower box fill along the wall and lunge him over it to see what he'd do. His answer? "*looks down* OOOH, what's that? *lifts legs and trots over like champ* WOW, lets' go AGAIN mom!" Hm.... I might have to become an event-rider afterall. Potentially he may be resold. Depends on finances. If I can afford to keep two, he'll stay. If not, well, he's a reasale project

And Horse #6 is my totaly dreamhorse and then some. Unplanned Freebie off the track when I was not looking for a horse and actually still actively did NOT want another one after losing OTTB#1 and the QHX eight months prior. I had also said, very definitively, that I was NEVER picking up another OTTB again after the heartbreak that was the first one.
    Enter Rascal: 16h, Mahoghany bay, chrome, totally stunning. gate approved, unraced, and as sound as they come. Got him Aug of his 3yo year. Started riding him that nov - on and off, and then with some seriousness in Jan of his 4yo year. Got tax season and most of May off, and after a week of riding at the end of may, took him to a clinic with a clinician whose first words were "That horse could go Grand Prix. But not the Olympics." My answer was "well that's good cause his rider would be the laughingstock of any Olympics!" Lol.

He has flawless rhythm, nicer movement than some of the WBs that came through the barn, and 99% of the time is a super steady totally 100% ammie-friendly (He's gotta be, with me riding him!!!) mount. (1% of the time...um...watch out. Reactive and ATHLETIC! lol!) I have a trainer, but she does minimal riding and our lessons are rather informal, so he isn't where he COULD be ...but with trainer he can school some 2nd level lateral work, and with me we can show training and school 1st. She's commented more than once that he is "incredibly easy to train". Hauled him to his first ever rated show (and 2nd show ever - did a small schooling show last spring where he also cleaned up well) and he won both TL classes with mid sixties (and judging was pretty harsh overall - there was all of 2 scores 70%+ all day. And while I say that, I also happen to like the judge!), earned us the w/t-TR championship, and actually had the highest cumulative average score of all the A/A's at the show.
    Really, though, He's just a fantastically solid citizen and I am just SO. DAMNED. LUCKY. to have him. I could go on, and on, and on about this horse. I brought him home because he made my heart sing. He's got a permanent home because 95% of the time, he makes me leave the barn smiling. (5% of the time he's frustrating beyond belief - but isn't that the way with babies?) Heck, just thinking about him makes me smile. Yep. This one ain't going nowhere. Not unless they pry my cold, dead, decomposing fingers off the reins.

Damn, I love that horse.

I do have pictures of all the Bargain-basement-beasties, but facebook won't let me set individual pictures to public. Might have to make a single album with a few pics, but can't do that from work. Lol.
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

I have had more than one horse under 1k but the best one is my OTTB gelding, Roz. I purchased him for $600 almost 10 years ago. From what I have pieced together he spent his first several years hanging out doing a whole lot of nothing before I purchased. He turned out to be an excellent low level eventer, jumping anything you put in front of him. He then moved on to teach a kid, and is now semi-retired at 21. He's been an awesome horse for me.

2003- http://s269.beta.photobucket.com/use...06202.jpg.html

2008- http://s269.beta.photobucket.com/use...862_n.jpg.html

2010- http://s269.beta.photobucket.com/use...214_n.jpg.html

I've owned exactly one horse, an OTTB I picked up for $800 off of Craigslist in Albuquerque, New Mexico. You can see photos and read his whole story here.

I can't really say why I decided to buy him, since I wasn't really looking for a horse and I really can't afford one. I was looking with a friend for her daughter. But I saw him and loved him. He has a huge stride and a level head and just enough personality that I couldn't resist.

We've only been together about six months, but he has turned out to be a natural jumper. He's brave and willing and loves his job. We had to get through an old back injury and deal with some serious barn sourness, but I'm sure that he is on his way to an amazing career. I'm very glad something made me buy him.

Jester was 7, almost 8 when I got him. Bought him for 1000 bucks, guy wanted to empty his barn out. Jester had raced for a long time, paid his way enough.

Jester at his first show
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Jester doing dressage like 2 years after purchase

Before and after conformation

Jester and I doing the Prelim at Fair Hill this past year

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    No one else bid on her -- she almost No Saled. I bought her for $500.

I'll have to work on getting a before pic.

Took her to a couple mini trials and sold her in December 2005. Saw her at a clinic this past weekend and that was a HUGE treat. Not that I haven't seen her since. Her new owner is fantastic about letting me know how she's doing and such. They're having such fun together. Couldn't have asked for a better home for Frankie. "After" pics can be found at http://www.harrisoneventing.com/
    What a great story - they look like a truly wonderful partnership.

We've been blessed with a few, but the most notable are our beloved Master Merlin, given to us by his race trainer, who competed through the CCI** level, and was the Area II intermediate champion in 2005. He left us in 2009 and a day has yet to go by that I don't miss him.

Our current star was abandoned here by a previous owner, and signed over to us by the courts. She was 2nd in the long format one star in 2011, and just completed her first Intermediate with a clean cross country round.

They couldn't be more different: he was a 17.3 hand TB, who was big and lopey, and she's 15 hands and an Appendix QH who is as quick and sharp as can be. But they are invaluable treasures to us.

Pics, etc on our website below.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com