The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fashion Advice...Grey Breeches!

Hi all,

I'm a little hopeless when it comes to coordinating outfits so I was wondering if you all could help me out, it would be very appreciated!

I have a great pair of grey breeches that I plan on wearing to school, maybe in an open jumper class or two. My question is...What color(s) polo goes best?? Breeches in question are a fairly light grey if it helps. TIA! I really want to look professional this year. (A and AA Rated, think HITS=])

Don't worry, i'll be showing in my beige and whites!
    Last edited by carolinagirl17; Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to input what type of show

A blue polo (think light or bright blue, not navy) would look nice with grey breeches.

Gray is just another neutral. I like to wear aqua with my gray FITS

1 members found this post helpful.

Pretty much any color looks nice with gray. White looks nice, I wear a white EIS shirt with gray breeches a lot. Also lighter blue/green (although navy actually looks pretty good!), light yellow, and if I could pull off a coral polo I would totally do that.

2 members found this post helpful.

Depends on the grey. With a lighter, stone grey, I do light blue, light aqua, or spring green. Possibly a shell pink if you are so inclined.

Yellow looks fabulous with all greys (A nice yellow, not fluorescent yellow.)

For a bit more of a charcoal grey, burgundy is stunning, especially on a dark grey, black, or dark/blood bay horse.

I sell every kind of grey breech known to man and outfit for the A, AA circuit. It has been my experience that a white or black polo look the most professional. I would pair an Equi In Style vented shirt or one of the new vented Essex Talent Yarn shirts with them to school at a show. Make sure you belt with a wide belt to match the size of the belt loops. Skinny belts are a no no with wider loops. I would suggest a black belt. Tailored Sportsman makes the most amazing belts that work with a front or side zip breech. Good luck. I'm sure whatever you decide, you'll look amazing!

^my suggestion: WHITE. It is a nice clean professional look!

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

White? Anywhere near a horse? Am I the only person to get covered in horse slobber and dust? Any colour that stands up to practical use would be my choice. But I do like grey breeches - they don't show the dirt as much.

Quote Originally Posted by num1train View Post
    Make sure you belt with a wide belt to match the size of the belt loops. Skinny belts are a no no with wider loops.
    THANK YOU!!! Drives me nuts to see people wearing too-skinny belts with wide waistbands!

My personal current favorites with grey are yellow or orange (not bright yellow or orange, just regular or lighter type). I also love burgundy with grey. Really, just about anything goes with grey... except in my world, where tan/brown does not.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I think any color looks pretty good with gray. My preference though is black with a nice black belt. Black boots, helmet and gloves added to this look very put together.

White? Anywhere near a horse? Am I the only person to get covered in horse slobber and dust?
    A white shirt looks just fine...if you have a sweatshirt over it, and take off the horse slobbery, dusty, muddy, hairy sweatshirt AFTER you get on the horse!