The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question USEF amateur rules - am I in violation?

I've been trying to figure this out by reading the USEF rules but it's just not been clear to me. Using an alter to protect everyone involved (possibly myself!) I really, really, really want to follow the amateur rules correctly but they can be hard to interpret!

I work for my barn in exchange for reduced fees (banking everything against the rated shows coming up). Generally that means helping with the new rider lessons (tacking up, horsemanship, putting out cones, poles, cavalettis, etc - but not actually teaching lessons), grooming horses, keeping the barn clean, etc. My trainer recently injured her back very badly trying out a horse for a client (she's ok and walking, but can't ride, work with horses on the ground, or even pick up anything heavier than 5 pounds for probably 8 weeks) so I've been picking up some slack, along with the other working students. The juniors are exercising the horses under the supervision of BO and trainer while I've been lunging (especially in little kid lessons while trainer teaches from the sidelines, but some rig work for horses in training). I also occasionally pick up extra free lessons on school horses if I'm there and one hasn't been ridden that day.

I think I'm ok on my normal duties - there is very little that could be interpreted as training there. But with trainer out right now, I am a little worried about my extra work. Happy to do it, of course (it's been very fun to be out there more often, learning about how the barn is run and hearing her instructions for the juniors working the horses), but I do wonder if my free lessons and lunge work technically put me in violation of the rule. Trainer thinks not, and I trust her judgment on most things but this damn rule can be very tricky! What do you all think?

1. In your normal situation, you receive remuneration for a groom job which does not include teaching or riding. IMHO, you are fine here so long as you never throw a leg over a horse that the trainer owns or makes money off of (i.e. lesson horses). At that barn, you can only ride horses owned by you. So long as you do that, you're fine.

2. IMHO, lounging is a grey area, but as soon as you swing your leg over the lesson horse, you are in violation.

However, these rules are clearly subject to interpretation. Your best bet is to call the USEF number and ask. They're really very nice people and happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by ammyalter View Post
    I've been trying to figure this out by reading the USEF rules but it's just not been clear to me. Using an alter to protect everyone involved (possibly myself!) I really, really, really want to follow the amateur rules correctly but they can be hard to interpret!

I work for my barn in exchange for reduced fees (banking everything against the rated shows coming up). Generally that means helping with the new rider lessons (tacking up, horsemanship, putting out cones, poles, cavalettis, etc - but not actually teaching lessons), grooming horses, keeping the barn clean, etc. My trainer recently injured her back very badly trying out a horse for a client (she's ok and walking, but can't ride, work with horses on the ground, or even pick up anything heavier than 5 pounds for probably 8 weeks) so I've been picking up some slack, along with the other working students. The juniors are exercising the horses under the supervision of BO and trainer while I've been lunging (especially in little kid lessons while trainer teaches from the sidelines, but some rig work for horses in training). I also occasionally pick up extra free lessons on school horses if I'm there and one hasn't been ridden that day.

I think I'm ok on my normal duties - there is very little that could be interpreted as training there. But with trainer out right now, I am a little worried about my extra work. Happy to do it, of course (it's been very fun to be out there more often, learning about how the barn is run and hearing her instructions for the juniors working the horses), but I do wonder if my free lessons and lunge work technically put me in violation of the rule. Trainer thinks not, and I trust her judgment on most things but this damn rule can be very tricky! What do you all think?
    Longeing - no, not in violation. If you have been riding school horses in free lessons, then yes, that violates the ammy rule (if you're 18 on or before 12/1/12).

The way I am reading your description, the problem is that you are riding (lesson) horses belonging the barn that is providing you with remuneration (reduced fees) for other services (grooming, etc.).

GR1306.4.c. Accepts remuneration AND acts as an employee in a position such as a groom, farrier, bookkeeper, veterinarian or barn manager AND instructs, rides, drives,
    shows, trains or schools horses that are owned, boarded or trained by his employer, any member of his employer’s family, or a business in which his employer has an ownership interest.
    But your best bet is to call or email the Amateur hotline
    amateurinquiry@usef.org
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

I will definitely contact the Amateur hotline - thanks for the tip! And in the meantime I'll tell the trainer I want to hold off on the school horse lessons. An extra rest day won't kill them.