The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Triple Crown Complete

Thoughts on TC Complete?!? Who feeds it , and to what type of horse/what type of work etc etc....I've got a new Ottb mare that I'm feeding it to...this seems to be what she likes best thus far...I started her on TC Senior-but she didn't seem that thrilled about it and eventually would walk away and leave it...same with Fibergized Omega, and same with a combo of soaked speedi or Fibrebeet plus Progressive Nutrition Pro Advantage and Envision Classic-this is what all my horses get- in a perfect world-this is what I'd want her to eat...I feel nothing gives them the topline/weight and overall great condition and appearance than this combo

So my thoughts are...maybe now that she's more settled in...has a month of turnout under her belt...plus she's been on Succeed, Canadian Omeprazole , and UlcerAide Liquid for 30 days she's not gonna be so picky ?!? But I'm afraid to switch it up...she's finally eating good....but everybody seems to prefer TC Senior over the Complete bc of NSC %'s ?? Is it better for her to be on the Senior?? Will she gain more weight on one vs the other ....does one make them any more or less hot/excitable??...should I try transitioning her to TC Senior...Pennfields Fibergized ?? I'm imagining she likes the TC Complete the best bc of the oats and molasses ...you know the saying...if it ain't broke don't fix it

Other feeds that I have access too are Tribute,Nutrena, Pennfields, Blue Seal, Adm Alliance, Legends, Buckeye,

I like it.
    I was feeding Legends and my boys would go through a mineral block in 3 weeks. After I switched to TC, the mineral block went untouched for 9 months (when I removed it).

I like it.
    I was feeding Legends and my boys would go through a mineral block in 3 weeks. After I switched to TC, the mineral block went untouched for 9 months (when I removed it).

Most of the horses in my barn are on it an they look great, clean it up, and are happy and shiny. My horse was a bit underweight when we moved in and he has put on what he needed to and has plenty of energy and a shiny coat. The senior is lower in NSC, so if that is a concern for your horse, you may want to ask your vet. I really like TC feeds in general.

To help compare, here are the main differences:
    Complete: 12% protein, 12% fat, 15% fiber, ~20% NSC
    Senior: 14% protein,10% fat, 17% fiber, ~11% NSC

The differences in protein, fat and fiber is basically negligible. The real difference is the NSC content. If your mare is getting hyped up on the Complete, you might try going back to the Senior and, (if she'll eat it) if it helps calm her down. 20% NSC is right at borderline for being considered high starch, but if she's doing fine on it, I don't see a reason to switch her around. Hope this helps!

I feed it to my somewhat hard keeper (he's not that bad, really) and I LOVE it!! I'm so glad that the first feed that I tried helped put weight on him quickly.

He only gets 1 qt a day, mixed with probably about 1 1/2 qts beet pulp. He's on the beet pulp mainly as a filler, which is good for him especially now because he's not on grass at the moment. (Waiting for a paddock to be built) One bag lasts me almost 2 months.

My ulcer prone mare has been on it for three or four years now. I like it because it is beet pulp based and I know every bag will be consistant as far as nutrients and ingredients. It helps keep weight on her without making her too "hot" and she practically licks the feed tub clean!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

Love it. I had a SUPER picky 17.1 SWB that loved it. He would not eat anything else. With the Senior, he would pick at it, but he would leave all the shredded stuff at the bottom of his feed bucket and not touch it. It was a waste. This horse was even picky with his hay. But he loved Complete. He picked up his weight and he was shiny as can be. My senior is also on it, and he looks great, and loves it as well (though he's not picky!). I just really like the feed. I don't use it as a complete feed, though. I supplement with hay.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I was using it for four geldings - a three year old who could use as many calories as possible, a seven year old in light work, and a ten year old and a 16 year old old who both stand around doing nothing. They all LOVED it and did very well on it. I do feed hay and normally the two older horses who don't work were getting TC Light but with our hay shortage I was feeding more grain (two pounds per feeding instead of just a handful of the Light) since I'm so carefully rationing my hay. Because of that I recently switched them all to the Senior, mostly because I wanted the lower NSC for the older fattie and I didn't want to use two different feeds if I didn't have to. They weren't overly pleased about it at the beginning but after a day or two they all eat it without complaint. Not sure if I'll switch back once the two younger horses go back to showing or just leave them, will depend on how they look once they shed out.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

I've used both the Complete and the Senior for my two boys, as well as for a range of other horses when a friend and I were doing self care. I love the Complete- I only switched my guys to the Senior because of the lower NSC values, and because my 14 year old has some scarring in his throat due to surgery and the Senior seems much easier for him to chew.

They did very well on it, and I'd have no problems switching back if I needed to, for some reason. I LOVE Triple Crown feeds.

My guys are jumpers- one is coming 5, one is coming 14- in full work. The 5 year old, a Dutch WB, gets a bit more than 5 lbs of TC Senior a day. The 14 year old, a TB, gets 7 lbs. They both have access to hay all day with a round bale, and hay nets stuffed full at night.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Love TC Complete. I actually prefer it to TC Senior. The Senior has a bit too much protein for my OTTB. It makes him "buzzy" lol. He is unflappable on the Complete and is a perfect weight with a great coat.

My friend feeds it to her whole barn (about 35 horses) of all breeds and types of keepers, they do great on it. She has been approached by many feed reps and has not changed because the horses look so good even though it is $$ their health is more important to her.

I've used it for 5+ years now and I'm perfectly happy with it. We have hard working TWH/SSH geldings we do some extreme trails on and long rides. I also recently competed my TWH gelding fairly intensively in dressage and he looked like a million dollars. Excellent hooves and hair and overall health. Hay is just average grass hay and they are on negligible amounts of grass.

I feed it to my showing horses. One time Don Stewart asked me what in the world I gave my horse, Debonair, to have him look so shiney, good, etc.........and my answer was 1 1/2 scoops Tripple Crown Complete twice a day........no suppliments and coastal hay!.........
    Living in FL, where northern hay costs a fortune for a breeder to use........I like to feed a good grain...with as little extra effort as possible... I've used it for years.....
    I use Triple Crown Growth for my foals and broodmares in their last trimester too!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428